What is IGR for fly control?

Help Support CattleToday:

i buy cargill mineral with it already mixed in. never seen it for sale separate, but that doesnt mean you cant buy it that way.

Your vigortone dealer can sell it a bag at a time, something like 25 pound bag. Uou mix just over a pound of it mixed in 50 lbs of mineral.

Craig":2dtxas2l said:
Is this something you can add to your loose mineral? Where do you get it?
I'd buy a mineral that already has it mixed in. The IGR itself comes in different concentrations and is pretty darn expensive.

Kathie in Thorp":zxcot609 said:
If you use this product, do you also use ear tags and/or Ivo?
Nothing is 100% effective. I put the IGR mineral out year round but still usually pen cattle in early spring and spray them all. This and the mineral usually holds the fly population down. If you use the fly tags I'd probably keep using them.

The trick is to get the IGR product out early in the season. If it's bad enough to spray them I mix permectrin with water.
fitz

I also use mineral with igr . It really seems to help . I don't care for the ear tags . I'm not a scientist but it seems to me once they start to lose their punch the flys could build resistance to them . And I havent found any that says they don't kill dung Beatles .

The funny thing is the feed companies and university people cant establish how far a fly can travel. I know of guys that swear by IGR. Especially if you start using it early enough. It kills the larva, not the flies. Also 1 type of the 3 types of flies. Then you go to an extension meeting and hear that your neighbors neighbor has to feed IGR for it to work. That is why I spray instead. I can get them all. Time consuming PITA....ya sometimes. Do it on a day when the wind is right and corner them around a tank or something its not too bad. Its amazing just how few of flies can cause a weight loss. Also them flies add up quicker than you think. Seen UNL pics where they have counted them.

UNL is doing some research about flies being attracted to the color blue. Medium to dark blue. Soak that color of material with atraban or what ever and hang off the side of a windmill etc.

White trucks attract a lot too . The I g r doesn't kill the larva it makes the larva stay a larva and never turn in to a fly. Insect growth regulator .

Latest posts