Minerals with IGR

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, I have used it for 2 years and it seems to work well. But you MUST start using it in the spring before they ever emerge to get good control.

We've used them this year, and they've helped some. Like Kenny said, starting them early makes a difference. We still use a back rubber and spray them from time to time to help with flies.

Yes & yes. I noticed the lil black ones are here now after the rain. Anybody know what sort of fly that might be?

kenny thomas":1915jex1 said:
Yes, I have used it for 2 years and it seems to work well. But you MUST start using it in the spring before they ever emerge to get good control.
They recommned starting it 30 days before the usual beginning of fly season. We use it in conjunction with fly mops at the entrance to the water points and also pasture rotation. Been doing it for close to 10 years. Yes, it really does make a difference.

I wonder what brand of mineral you cattlemen like to use. I have tried a beef mineral that is mfg by the local co-op.The cows will not eat it . I bought this mineral on the recommendation from a neighbor. He sad that he puts it in the trough in the barn and turns the cows in and sprays them as they are eating it, says by the time he is through with the spraying the cows had cleaned the mineral from the trough.

We feed Vigortone and keep it available to them all the time.

hurley, when I first got my 6/12 mineral, my cows wouldn't touch it... they love it now though. it can take them a while to get used to it.. If your cows have other access to salt, remove it for a while. Seems like most minerals these days are supposed to be fed without added salt (especially the 4oz/day/head ones), check the label

Yes and yes. Fed Purina Wind/Rain fly control for the last two years with success. I actually didn't fly spray the cows at all this year nor put out my fly rubs and flies were still under control.

Yes I believe it has helped. I started adding it to my hi mag too late though. I had fly tagged early but didn't start the igr until later in May I believe it was. I'll start mixing it in when I fly tag another year.

Latest posts