If you could only

Help Support CattleToday:

The same three my Dad had when i was growing up 22, 12 ga, and 30-06.

The 22 for plinking, target shooting and general varmits. Cheap ammo that is plentiful. The 12 ga would be in a pump and 3 inch so it will work for anything that flies. The ammo is the most plentiful of the various shotguns. A 30-06 will kill any big game in North America. Lots of bullet choices and any place that sells ammo will have '06 ammo. For home defence there is nothing that you can do with a pistol that can't be done better with a long gun except concealment. If I am seriously defending my home the gun wont be concealed.

Caustic Burno":fcjb241d said:
Deepsouth":fcjb241d said:
12 gauge, 22 rifle and a 30-06 rifle.

Very wise choice's IMO.
And the same one's I would have made a year ago today I would drop the 22lr for a 45 ACP.
The 22lr present's a reloading problem for me.

I was not sure that I was answering your question correctly because you asked which three "guns" not which three calibers. If it were which guns I would probably go with a Benelli on the shot gun, a 10/22 for the .22lr and the 30-06 would be a little tougher. I like a BAR but since I'm limited I would probably go with a bolt action but what make and model would take some thinking.

Dave":1eve7k2k said:
The same three my Dad had when i was growing up 22, 12 ga, and 30-06.

The 22 for plinking, target shooting and general varmits. Cheap ammo that is plentiful. The 12 ga would be in a pump and 3 inch so it will work for anything that flies. The ammo is the most plentiful of the various shotguns. A 30-06 will kill any big game in North America. Lots of bullet choices and any place that sells ammo will have '06 ammo. For home defence there is nothing that you can do with a pistol that can't be done better with a long gun except concealment. If I am seriously defending my home the gun wont be concealed.

Dave I completely agree on the long gun for home defence. There is nothing more intimidating or effective than a 12 gauge. I bought a 30-30 for Carring in these thick woods around here but have found it to be a potentially good weapon for home defence. It's the only gun I don't keep in the safe but close at hand if I need it.

12 gauge pump for its simplicity and ability to take on anything from dove to hogs to people, God forbid.
.243 model 700 because I can reach out a little further with it and take out just about anything that I need to with nearly the same sight picture and my wife and kids can do the same with it with a fair degree of accuracy.
.40 glock because I've put so many rounds through it that it's second nature to me and it has proven itself to me in stopping power on hogs so I trust it.

That's a tough one because my mind keeps going to a shtf thing and a total breakdown of civilization. 12 ga in either 870 pump or A-5, both proven to take the really bad treatment.
30-06 in either a bolt action or a BAR, I'm wanting to find some 20 round clips for it.
A 243 in either set up is good to because on a head shot you can take some really big game and bullets don't weigh as much to tote around.
.22 in any of the old proven guns because its so much of a tool as anything else.
One the other hand I've been stocking lots of 30-30 ammo for my old Winchesters, they are bullet proof and can take down game or defend you and are easy to travel with.
Another thought is to have a rifle and pistol both in .44 mag.
I'm going to have plenty of choice to grab though and still have plenty to pass out also.
As far as the AR crowd they only have one good use and would be handy to have if the shtf but I'll have to make due with a few I have in 7.62x39. They work well too.

I forgot to mention the Colt 1911 .45. It's a top notch pistol. Just don't try hitting anything very far. My FIL had one that had been sent back to Colt and been reworked, ported and a built in laser site put on it. I think my wife bought it for me. I thought I saw them trying to hide it. Or maybe she has other plans for me. I do sleep with one eye open though.

This is a hard, but I really don't think a shotgun is going to be on my list, I have never even killed a turkey with one, so I would say 22mag, 3006 bolt action, and 9mm Springfield xd. There are some I like better but for my only three this would be close.

Ruger 10-22 because you can do anything with it and you can pack 2-3,000 rounds without a wagon. Yes, it is a jack of all trades and a master of none, but when push comes to shove it is a good one to have.

12 gauge. Plain and simple, I have a few with interchangable barrels so I can shot everything from butterflies to buffalo.

Tough choice on the third, I don't want to play this game anymore. Long gun for big power and reaching out there, handgun for concealment, AR for, well, just because.

My 3 would be . 22lr because I can carry a bunch of rounds in my pockets . It's good for killing food . And not real loud. 45acp 1911 of some sort . And ar15 because every dead soldier you pass will have a pocket full of rounds .

22lr and 22lr and finally 22lr..... Shells aree cheap in comparison to everything else and with proper placement will kill most any animal with a few exceptions. It killed a lot of deer 50 years ago. I now some folks will take me to task on that statement about killing power. My response would be, people hunt with bows all the time. The animal is wounded and allowed to bleed out. Same difference the way I see it. Lol I will now put my hard hat on :hide:

houstoncutter":38g2g522 said:
22lr and 22lr and finally 22lr..... Shells aree cheap in comparison to everything else and with proper placement will kill most any animal with a few exceptions. It killed a lot of deer 50 years ago. I now some folks will take me to task on that statement about killing power. My response would be, people hunt with bows all the time. The animal is wounded and allowed to bleed out. Same difference the way I see it. Lol I will now put my hard hat on :hide:
22 short in the head will kill most animals . I've killed many hogs with a 22 lr .

JSCATTLE":jdqbgqhy said:
And ar15 because every dead soldier you pass will have a pocket full of rounds .
I thoroughly agree with that statement. Back in Vietnam, many VC were armed with M16's and M14's for that same reason.

Latest posts