If you could choose

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

If you had a choice, where in this country would you choose to ranch? Goals would be 4 seasons not 2, land prices and availability, not too cold but snow once in awhile, and good dirt. Where would you go?

It has gotten way to crowded around here. Not much snow either (why would you want that?)

South-East Oklahoma is where a lot of folks are headed based on land price etc. You can sell a place here and buy one about 6 times larger there.

BHB, I like snow once in awhile. Just do.
When the time is right, I could sell 2 pieces and buy probably 20 times the land I got now. Its may be 10 or 20 years, but I know I can't keep doing what I do now forever without my body just giving out. Been at it 20 years as it is

hooknline":3qf5wbcl said:
BHB, I like snow once in awhile. Just do.
When the time is right, I could sell 2 pieces and buy probably 20 times the land I got now. Its may be 10 or 20 years, but I know I can't keep doing what I do now forever without my body just giving out. Been at it 20 years as it is

Book your ticket for early Feb. you can help during calving and I guarantee if this winter was even close to last years you will have had your fill of snow to last a lifetime. :lol2:

I live just south of the fall line, the roads haven't froze here yet. The ice and sleet to the north of us is tuff to drive on without chains. I had my fill of Fl. 20 years ago to many yankee's wanting to live by the beach. Up in London Ky. there was to much snow and ice for this cracker.
This is what I tell folks, "Ga. sucks don't move there". :lol2: But a good ole southern boy is more than welcome. :welcome:

brazil
just like the old west
if your big and bad enough, you can have all you want.

1. Abstract
The failure of Brazil's judicial system to bring large land owners and gunmen to justice for murder, slave-like peonage, and violent land expulsions of peasants from land has driven landless families to the northern most reaches of the country, the Amazon region, in search of safety and subsistence. There the conflict between small holders and unsatiated large landowners continues. The actors in the confrontation include innumerous indigenous people, and those involved in extractionist activities such as gold mining and rubber tapping.
2. Description
Few know about the relationship between the destruction of the Amazon Rain Forest to the land acquisition practices of ranchers (fazendeiros) and the migration patterns of landless farmers in Brazil. In 1988, 79 large landowners' property (latifundios) were almost equal to that owned by more than 3 million small landowners (minifundios). Large landowners (this includes ranchers) are notorious for amassing more land by expelling small isolated farm families from their property. Expulsions are violent and often lead to torture and murder.
Small farmers are removed from their properties by assassins hired by large landowners, most of which belong to the infamous Uniao Democratica Ruralista (UDR). Such violence compels landless families, Os Sem Terra, to flee to Brazilian urban areas, but high inflation (735% in 1975) prevents the poor from securing employment, housing, and food. Families return to the countryside to find unclaimed land on which they can grow their pao de cada dia -- daily bread. Audacious civil protest in the form of peasant land invasions is galvanized by the lack of political support the landless poor receive from the government and the political awakening of civil society regarding human rights.

a. Facts on land distribution in Brazil:

There are 851,400,000 hectares of land in all of Brazil.
52% of the total area is considered rural land
Only 12% of Brazil's land is owned by small producers (100 hectares or less) and yet they produce 80% of the nation's food.
43.5% of all rural land is owned by latifundistas.
For added emphasis, note that a mere 79 large landowners own 4.5% of Brazil's rural area or countryside.
Twenty (20) of the latifundistas own 2.2% or 18.88 million hectares in Brazil's rural zones.
The above information is documented by the government agency, INCRA (the Office of Colonization and Agrarian Reform).

hooknline":2yhsjytc said:
If you had a choice, where in this country would you choose to ranch? Goals would be 4 seasons not 2, land prices and availability, not too cold but snow once in awhile, and good dirt. Where would you go?

I'd like to ranch in Hawaii. If I really get a thing for snow, I'll hike up to the top of that volcanoe. You selling out in FLA, maybe you can loan me some $$$. It's a heckuva plan.

That's the plan right now John...sell out, get out of this place, and ranch til I'm dead. Fl is getting too crowded and dumb for my taste. Can't do it right now tho..kids, family,market etc...unless one of you all feel sorry for me and want to buy me out at market prices 10 yrs from now. Then Ill make things work

hooknline":3k7p11au said:
That's the plan right now John...sell out, get out of this place, and ranch til I'm dead. Fl is getting too crowded and dumb for my taste. Can't do it right now tho..kids, family,market etc...unless one of you all feel sorry for me and want to buy me out at market prices 10 yrs from now. Then Ill make things work

Can I assume you aren't interested in staking my Hawaiian venture? It's a sure winner. 8)

Pretty safe bet there. I lived there for a short bit as a kid..over rated and tooooooo expensive

Pasture land in Southern Indiana is a bargain under $3000. If the housing market would pick up it would easily go to $4000. It rains here, but it does occasionally snow, and we have at least 3 months of NO sunshine.

I recon I'll stay right here. I love the place, I'd just like to have a "No Drought" guarantee. :banana:

No guarantee on that anywhere Iso.if there was I would even be asking.
I'm thinking about the north ok, south mo, west tn, west ky areas. Maybe even west carolinas or north west ga. All I know is I need to start thinking about some changes

backhoeboogie":2o0eoqi1 said:
It has gotten way to crowded around here. Not much snow either (why would you want that?)

South-East Oklahoma is where a lot of folks are headed based on land price etc. You can sell a place here and buy one about 6 times larger there.

I aint living anywhere you need or might need white camo.

Latest posts