If you could choose

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":2swus6kh said:
Im right the opposite i guess,, the older i get, the more i love this place...its home, want to die here...not today though ..............plus im socially unacceptable :cowboy:

I like the land here, it's pretty hospitable as far as raising grass/cattle. It's the frigging people I can't stand, way too many of them.

cfpinz":2ghl82dn said:
ALACOWMAN":2ghl82dn said:
Im right the opposite i guess,, the older i get, the more i love this place...its home, want to die here...not today though ..............plus im socially unacceptable :cowboy:

I like the land here, it's pretty hospitable as far as raising grass/cattle. It's the frigging people I can't stand, way too many of them.
thats why i work 50 miles from home,,, i dont have the personality to work in Huntsville any more... to many sliderulers there to put up with

ALACOWMAN":yob9lq5i said:
thats why i work 50 miles from home,,, i dont have the personality to work in Huntsville any more... to many sliderulers there to put up with

I work in a little town about 8 miles from home, don't mind it at all. What irks me is what our county has become. The Waltons tv program was based in our county, if you ever watched it they've mimicked life pretty much as it used to be here - really nice place to live. Fast forward to the 1970's and a ski resort opens 5 miles from where I grew up, then add in 3 attached golf courses and all the yahoos that come along with that crap. H*ll, they even put a stoplight in the county a few years ago. See where I'm going?

cfpinz, just wrote a check this morning for repair of one interior wall...horsehair plaster fell apart. Most of our "damage" was just stuff falling off of shelves, out of cabinets, etc. Some state inspectors came by yesterday to make a report, supposedly tallied about $30 million in residential damage so far (schools are another $60 million, I believe). We're still getting aftershocks every so often, latest at 4:30 AM today. I'll never be able to hear thunder again without stopping to wonder if it's a storm or a quake!

cfpinz":14usj2di said:
ALACOWMAN":14usj2di said:

I work in a little town about 8 miles from home, don't mind it at all. What irks me is what our county has become. The Waltons tv program was based in our county, if you ever watched it they've mimicked life pretty much as it used to be here - really nice place to live. Fast forward to the 1970's and a ski resort opens 5 miles from where I grew up, then add in 3 attached golf courses and all the yahoos that come along with that crap. H*ll, they even put a stoplight in the county a few years ago. See where I'm going?

Think I stayed in Shenandoah some years ago while working in the area. Beautiful country.

fitz

cfpinz":8dh2d2sz said:
ALACOWMAN":8dh2d2sz said:

My town has two stoplights, installed 40 yrs ago. Now they just blink red, for a 4 way stop.

hooknline":1fsd44dx said:
Cuer de lane area Joe? Too dang cold.

Go farther south in Idaho. But down there you either want to be on the irrigated ground or be a real by God cowboy. The climate is nice. Irrigation takes care of drought. The open range parts I have heard described as, "horse crippling, dog killing, rock filled range where your only neighbors are jackrabbits and Native Americans and they are few and far between".

Dave":3bfaz7t7 said:
hooknline":3bfaz7t7 said:

Go farther south in Idaho. But down there you either want to be on the irrigated ground or be a real be nice cowboy. The climate is nice. Irrigation takes care of drought. The open range parts I have heard described as, "horse crippling, dog killing, rock filled range where your only neighbors are jackrabbits and Native Americans and they are few and far between".

where is this place ?

Town I'm in now only has one stoplight and one blinker. But the land is almost 20k/acre...hard to make that happen. And its too hot too long, and only 2 seasons :warm, and hot

cross_7":2gksg9n7 said:
Dave":2gksg9n7 said:
hooknline":2gksg9n7 said:

Go farther south in Idaho. But down there you either want to be on the irrigated ground or be a real be nice cowboy. The climate is nice. Irrigation takes care of drought. The open range parts I have heard described as, "horse crippling, dog killing, rock filled range where your only neighbors are jackrabbits and Native Americans and they are few and far between".

where is this place ?

Southwestern Idaho, Southeastern Oregon, Northern Nevada. One Sunday morning last spring I drove from Burns junction to Burns. I turned west at the Y heading into Oregon. Heading east from Burns Junction would have put me up to Boise Idaho. About 10:00 on a Sunday morning. It is 91 miles. I past one car in 91 miles. This is the only paved road for 100 miles or more in any direction.

Ill add one more requisite...there's got to be some scenery. As hills, mountains nearby. Not going to do total flatlands..

What about California? I know half of you think I'm nuts for even bringing it up but we do have great ranches that sell for what grazing land is really worth if you look hard enough. There are also lots of rich owners who tie their money up in property and then lease it out at a rate that is quite fair to commercial cattlemen once they figure out what's involved. :nod:
Politically we have to put up with some BS but I can go for literally months at a time without having to interact with city dwellers on a personal basis. On the valley floor you're looking at ten-twenty grand an acre but there's enough return in farm crop to cover it if you want to farm. Range land that is steep enough that no-one wants to develop it still sells for three-five hundred an acre depending on water and will support on average one pair per ten acres.
I had snow for about a week on the top part of my ranch(2900' elevation) and a rare frost at my home (300'elevation) even though they're fifteen miles apart.

No offense cp, but yer nutz. I couldnt be paid 20k/acre to live in Kommifornia. I lived in ca and az as a kid, and I still remember the bs back then...good points but an absolute no

Gale Seddon":20w6kswg said:
cfpinz, just wrote a check this morning for repair of one interior wall...horsehair plaster fell apart. Most of our "damage" was just stuff falling off of shelves, out of cabinets, etc. Some state inspectors came by yesterday to make a report, supposedly tallied about $30 million in residential damage so far (schools are another $60 million, I believe). We're still getting aftershocks every so often, latest at 4:30 AM today. I'll never be able to hear thunder again without stopping to wonder if it's a storm or a quake!

Glad that's all the damage you had. Some friends of ours near Louisa had to move out of their brick house as it was literally falling in on them. You know the Clarks? They've got a big covered riding arena and have ropings at their place right often.

fitz":3ongqykz said:
Think I stayed in Shenandoah some years ago while working in the area. Beautiful country.

fitz

Shenandoah is a beautiful little town, about like going back in time 40 or 50 years.

john250":30nzryec said:
cfpinz":30nzryec said:
ALACOWMAN":30nzryec said:

My town has two stoplights, installed 40 yrs ago. Now they just blink red, for a 4 way stop.
They put a caution light in my home town awhile back..only lasted a few days,, log truck latched on to it at took the whole works with it :cowboy:

I pick private island sand, sunny, 75-80, not have to work, and I think you get the pictures! ;) Nice peacefulness! All but my big mouth talking 90 to nothing! :banana: :lol: