If not Objective then who?

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":ko7m8dgd said:
angus9259":ko7m8dgd said:
Some of the best calves I've seen are net worth. I think I'm going to try Foresight. I have some SVF Bandolier daughters I really like so I bought a Bandolier son out of a retail product dam - semen on him costs $1000 a straw. These are all muscle bulls. This year I have some Matrix heifers on the ground that look like they're going to be pretty good.

For heifers I've got BAR EXT traveler 205 and D806. Interesting thing about Bar EXT - Select Sires did something of a blind phenotype test on calves from a big cross section of their bulls and the best of group was Bar EXT.

We've liked our Foresight calves, though they are some of the heaviest born. The one we've sent through test didn't do especially well, but they all got sick on test. We used the same vaccination program that we've used for years, but every bull in that group got sick.

Is Retail Product a Select Sires bull? I've seen quite a few sons that I really liked by him. I don't think we have a SS distributor in this area.

Yes, he's select sires. He's getting a lot of use. I've not used him myself but like what I've seen as well. For potential confusion clarification, the Bandolier semen is $1000 - Retail Product is $20. The cross ended up pretty nice in my herd sire but, as I said, I'm quite a bandolier fan.

angus9259":106hptie said:
Yes, he's select sires. He's getting a lot of use. I've not used him myself but like what I've seen as well. For potential confusion clarification, the Bandolier semen is $1000 - Retail Product is $20. The cross ended up pretty nice in my herd sire but, as I said, I'm quite a bandolier fan.

At $1000 a straw, you must be a fan. :)

We went to a sale this past spring where they sold 8-30 bulls in different sire groups. To me, the Retail Product group stood out as the best group. There were goods one in the other groups, of course, but overall the Retail products really caught my eye. And I see Universal has semen, too.

Reg #13395329. I didn't knew he was a Precision 1680 son; probably wouldn't have given him a second glance if I had. :) SC EPD of .83, good accuracy. Hmmm...another bull to consider. Thanks.

When we started our AI program last year, we chose Big Eye as our first bull. Calves are so really good with nice head and decent length. One, by our Genetics By Design 049 four year old, is super slick. So thick and long length. Her adjusted 205 day weight was 105%@733lbs. Hopefully she performs just as good on the ultrasound too.

ccbr01":2be2p0v6 said:
When we started our AI program last year, we chose Big Eye as our first bull. Calves are so really good with nice head and decent length. One, by our Genetics By Design 049 four year old, is super slick. So thick and long length. Her adjusted 205 day weight was 105%@733lbs. Hopefully she performs just as good on the ultrasound too.
Mind sharing the Reg#'s of the bulls and your heifer?
Thanks
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

ALso, what is her weaning frame size?

Our Big Eye daughter is #16343459. We didn't take a hip height at weaning, so no frame size....

Bulls we used in our last AI round, end of June:
Big Eye 14560689
Bextor 13009379
Total 14844711
Pendleton 15313140
In Focus 13880818
Objective 13776378

vclavin":835xa7u8 said:
RD-Sam":835xa7u8 said:
vclavin":835xa7u8 said:
I don't like any of the 3 bulls, but I'm after different genetics than your. Same carcass just calving ease to boot.
Your honest opinion of these 2 bulls. Just scrutinize the EPD's as you are unable to see phenotype.
Thanks
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

I would be cautious about getting too lite on birth weights, and getting too far negative in $EN. Those Mytty calves are some pretty good eating. :lol2:
The only thing I don't like about Mtty is the high Fat EPD, I don't use him much. I have no problem with low birthweights, my girls are not the old problem with getting too small. We keep an eye on pelvic scores and have increased them over time. That's why we use the high gain with the low birth and watch the CED and CEM. It works for me, even the bulls have high pelvic scores.
$EN is no problem , the girls are always in 6-9 condition score. Doc said to put them on Jenny Craig - :)
They do not receive grain except 2 weeks before breeding for flushing purposes and in the evening 30 days before calving to prevent night births. (1-2lbs per head high fiber).

Calves are born anywhere from 60-92lbs with outliers of 48 and 100lbs. Average in the 80's. My ultrasound tech uses high birth bulls and complains about his calves being 40-50lbs.

Is that all you don't like - BW and $EN?

Blessings
Valerie Clavin

The rest of the EPD's looked fine to me. If we could see the bulls, it would be helpful. Be forewarned, not that many get a good review on here. :lol2:

I'm trying with pics. Everytime I try to upload I get "file too large" Ohhhh!!
Blessings
Valerie Clavin
It will be nice to get opinions anyway. I honestly can't tell by looking, don't have an eye for anything. I can tell if they are wide but that's all. I do the genetics, hubby does the phenotype.
I'll get those pics up yet!

vclavin":3up7ul8n said:
Blessings
Valerie Clavin
It will be nice to get opinions anyway. I honestly can't tell by looking, don't have an eye for anything. I can tell if they are wide but that's all. I do the genetics, hubby does the phenotype.

I think you have to use a third party storage point for photos.

ccbr01":2pt7fdyq said:
Our Big Eye daughter is #16343459. We didn't take a hip height at weaning, so no frame size....

Bulls we used in our last AI round, end of June:
Big Eye 14560689
Bextor 13009379
Total 14844711
Pendleton 15313140
In Focus 13880818
Objective 13776378
I like that Big eye bull, I have a cow that could drop the BW to suit me. Carcass is what I need, more RE and he looks like he can increase RE and IMF at the same time.
Bextor- looks good too. I can handle the excess fat, $EN is not bad with 32 milk.
Total-LIke the carcass numbers but not enough CED or CEM and too high BW for our program
Pendleton - His carcass is way below what I need, has some really good bw to yw spread though
In Focus - I have several heifer and 1 bull out of him. Sweet animals.
Let me know who's calves you like best. I may try one of those come spring. Have you used LCC New Standard?

Blessings
Valerie CLavin

HerefordSire":2s282ulb said:
vclavin":2s282ulb said:
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

I think you have to use a third party storage point for photos.
Thanks, someone said photobucket. I'll give it a try. I already have lots of other pics on there now.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

Frankie":3qs623kt said:
angus9259":3qs623kt said:

At $1000 a straw, you must be a fan. :)

We went to a sale this past spring where they sold 8-30 bulls in different sire groups. To me, the Retail Product group stood out as the best group. There were goods one in the other groups, of course, but overall the Retail products really caught my eye. And I see Universal has semen, too.

Reg #13395329. I didn't knew he was a Precision 1680 son; probably wouldn't have given him a second glance if I had. :) SC EPD of .83, good accuracy. Hmmm...another bull to consider. Thanks.
Frankie,
Why not a second glance at 1680 sons? Just curious.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

vclavin":hk4hb3vq said:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb212/vclavin/07-21-08_702inpasture2-1.jpg[img][/quote]

[i]Preview the post before you post a photo to make sure you can see it as intended.[/i]

vclavin":3lvie66s said:
Have you tried Rito 6I6? Awesome muscle maker and gentle creature. Really wide and well muscled butts. I have 1 heifer that marbled a 6+ out of him. He is a 6 frame.
I'll have to look up Magnitude and Tender Ten as I'm not familiar with them.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

I have never used Rito 6I6-- but have thought of it a time or two...I guess the main reason I haven't is because I do little AIing and mostly use herd bulls to handle the job...I like the reported docility on 6I6... That is one of the qualities that sold me on the Bannon of Wye bloodlines besides the maternal history....
http://www.sustainablegenetics.com/black_angus.html
When I purchased that bull I went to that sale actually only to get one bull- the Legacy 3R9 son (to put back the Rito 707 influence in the herd)-- but the Bannon bull adopted me and followed me everywhere trying to pick my gloves out of my pocket-and get his head scratched-- so I came home with two bulls.....I found the Bannon sired bull and some of the Bannon heifers I have to be exceptionally quiet and easy to handle...

By the way- Does your husbands name happen to be Cliff :???: ;-) :p

[quoteI have never used Rito 6I6-- but have thought of it a time or two...I guess the main reason I haven't is because I do little AIing and mostly use herd bulls to handle the job...I like the reported docility on 6I6... That is one of the qualities that sold me on the Bannon of Wye bloodlines besides the maternal history....
http://www.sustainablegenetics.com/black_angus.html
When I purchased that bull I went to that sale actually only to get one bull- the Legacy 3R9 son (to put back the Rito 707 influence in the herd)-- but the Bannon bull adopted me and followed me everywhere trying to pick my gloves out of my pocket-and get his head scratched-- so I came home with two bulls.....I found the Bannon sired bull and some of the Bannon heifers I have to be exceptionally quiet and easy to handle...

By the way- Does your husbands name happen to be Cliff ][/quote]

His Name is Keith.
I found the Bannon bull, 4 frame. What kind of weining weights do you get?
6I6 , wish I had more, will probably AI 2 fall girls to him. I am still deciding who to who. One girl need the muscle that 6I6 putson them, she also need a we bit of fat cover.

I've heard of the 707 but not much, can't find the Legacy 3R9 bull at pedigree lookup.

I take it you sell calves not bulls?
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

vclavin":rxgcizk3 said:
His Name is Keith.
I found the Bannon bull, 4 frame. What kind of weining weights do you get?
6I6 , wish I had more, will probably AI 2 fall girls to him. I am still deciding who to who. One girl need the muscle that 6I6 putson them, she also need a we bit of fat cover.

I've heard of the 707 but not much, can't find the Legacy 3R9 bull at pedigree lookup.

I take it you sell calves not bulls?
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

Here is the Legacy bull:

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... o=29AN1695

Sell some bulls out of the sons registered cows-- rest as steers...Bulls ww averaged 680-- with one Legacy son weighing 795 .. Steer calves averaged 598- heifers averaged 564...We were a little light this year (steers usually over 600- heifers usually around 575)- since Jan 1 we have only received 9.75 inchs of moisture and grass got thin...

Sell some bulls out of the sons registered cows-- rest as steers...Bulls ww averaged 680-- with one Legacy son weighing 795 .. Steer calves averaged 598- heifers averaged 564...We were a little light this year (steers usually over 600- heifers usually around 575)- since Jan 1 we have only received 9.75 inchs of moisture and grass got thin...
Oldtimer,
You have some working girls there. We had too much rain this, would have shared had I known. LOL
Would you mind sharing the reg# of the Legacy cows dam - I'm curious.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin
Got a pic by any chance mom, son or both?

07-21-08_702inpasture2-1.jpg

AHA!!
Here's the Phoenix bull last fall.

vclavin":2nq85pwf said:
Oldtimer,
You have some working girls there. We had too much rain this, would have shared had I known. LOL

I do too...Late summer and fall pasture was about 1/2 ration this year...

Would you mind sharing the reg# of the Legacy cows dam - I'm curious.
If you mean the bull calfs dam- its 15563792

Blessings
Valerie Clavin
Got a pic by any chance mom, son or both?

Heres a couple of pictures of I took in September when I moved pastures... Pictures are fuzzy because the wind was so strong I couldn't hold the camera still...Calf was born March 19th...

Chezney068.jpg

Chezney069.jpg

Latest posts