if buying some purebred heifers or cow how do you pickum

Help Support CattleToday:

ragweed

Reaction score
just wondering if buying some purebreds. would you look to see if the heifers or cows have the look you want or would you look at epds and buy based on them. planning on learning aiing so you could improve on traits with diff bulls right. just thinking on improving herd quality. and looking for opinions. thinking about black simmentals.

I usually get the catalogs or registration numbers and look at the pedigree and epd's. I form a priority list based off of what I can see on paper. When I look at the animal in person their phenotype may cause me to either eliminate them from consideration or move them up or down on my list. Once I have established the list I try to buy the animals at the top. I also look at disposition......the best looking cow in the world is useless to me if she stomps my butt in the ground or I can't catch her to A.I. or medicate her.

Like Hoss said a combination of everything. At sales usually theres all types of buyers some for phenotype some epds some pedigree and combination. In time you will figure out what all the peices are and how they work together.
If you could find someone in your area thats a sim breeder go visit and pick there brain they may be able to tell you what pedigrees work in your area.

Red Bull Breeder":19btc50j said:
What breed you looking at?? What do you no about the breed you are looking at?

simmental my comm herd is simm influenced.the flecks though thinking about looking into some black simm. i have a nearby breeder im talking with. hes being helpfuljust wanting as much opinions as possible. their having an southeast all black classic sale
nearby at the end of month. supposed to be 90 lots. he supposed to get me a catalog and i can research some of them better.

Go to some other operations look there cattle over. Take notes on the ones you like and learn there pedigrees. Go look at more and do the same thing. When you look at enough of them you will learn what cattle are in the back ground of the ones you like best.

ragweed":3g3qipf6 said:
just wondering if buying some purebreds. would you look to see if the heifers or cows have the look you want or would you look at epds and buy based on them. planning on learning aiing so you could improve on traits with diff bulls right. just thinking on improving herd quality. and looking for opinions. thinking about black simmentals.
Your question is one that every breeder should consider every time he plans to select an animal for his herd, whether it
involves a purchase from a sale, or private treaty, or whether he is replacing one in his own herd from his own herd!

All of the various Breed Associations have established EPD's, which are a help to the buyer in making selection decisions, however the buyer must determine in his own mind what his requirements are for the animals involved, and what his goals are. Is he seeking Maternal traits and Characteristics ONLY, or is he seeking Terminal (feedlot, or meatcase end products) ONLY, - OR - is he trying to fill BOTH Production (Maternal) AND Carcass (Terminal) seedstock producers with one type of animal? That places the buyer in the same position as a cat on a hot tin roof trying to cover his "Potty Box" accomplishments! It can't be done without burning his paws!

The trouble that most beef cattle producers augur themselves into is not establishing a solid, set image in their minds about just exactly what they are seeking - BEFORE they start looking. They see a collection of terrific-looking cattle, listen to the blather of the auctioneer who tells them what they need (whether they do or not), and they become totally flummoxed, and forget what they really came to the sale to buy. Know in advance what you are focusing on to buy, and DO NOT MAKE DECISIONS based on Single Trait selections! Be certain that the animal(s) that you finally decide to buy are acceptable to your needs in four or five different areas - such as Calving Ease, Weaning Weight, Yearling Weight, Milk production of the Dam (if you are seeking a Maternal animal. If you are seeking a Terminal animal, the Milk EPD is not necessary to be considered). Also consider Marbling and Rib Eye Area with BOTH seedstock and feedlot candidates. THAT is why Multiple Trait Selection protocols are so important. Most good Business Trainers tell their students to "Plan Your Work, and Work Your Plan!" That is good advice in the selection Beef Cattle!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts