Idiots!

Help Support CattleToday:

JSCATTLE":1bf0eheh said:
I evacuated 1 time during Rita .. I'll never leave again .. i almost shot a guy at a gas station .. sat on the porch and watched Ike roll through .. we don't have trees for a reason .. I live on a hill and If my house floods beaumont will be 20 foot under .. no reason to call people idiots for staying and protecting what they have worked for ..
JSCATTLE, I arrived in Beaumont a few hours after Ike came through. Slept in a tent at the Ford Center for 10 days while we helped with needs of the community. I respect your decision to stay but not sure I could have.

I remember talking to you about that ... I'm 45 min north of beaumont .. we didn't even lose a shingle off the house. After riding Rita out North of jasper because getting fuel was so tough I decided that home was safer ..

Wife just talked to them. Disney issued them 3 sack lunches apiece. Sandwiche, chips, drink, cookie, and an apple.

JSCATTLE":3tc9on4p said:
I evacuated 1 time during Rita .. I'll never leave again .. i almost shot a guy at a gas station .. sat on the porch and watched Ike roll through .. we don't have trees for a reason .. I live on a hill and If my house floods beaumont will be 20 foot under .. no reason to call people idiots for staying and protecting what they have worked for ..

I understand what you are saying but these people are in a basement... 11' above sea level... on the coast. Winds and rain are one thing inland... storm surges on the coast are another.

We had a hurricane in Indiana. Hurrcane Ike held together and still had 80 MPH winds when it got to God's country. I lost a barn, and the lights were out for two weeks. Best wishes to all in FLA,

I live very close to the coast of Alabama. I've never left for a storm. There have been some bad ones. Frederic, Ivan, George, Katrina. I've rode quite a few out on a shrimp boat in other ports along the coast and even been offshore in a few. My family , on both sides have all been fishermen. It takes some common sense. I wouldn't stay unless I was on the Highest ground around, enough trees around to block some wind, but not close enough to fall on your house or whatever structure you're are riding it out in......then you are probably safer than getting on the road with thousands of other "idiots" without any idea where you may end up. I know people that left driving, never even found a place to stay, rode weather out in their car with tornadoes and blinding rain. BUT.....I would NEVER stay in a beach house, or 2 blocks form ocean.

Bigfoot":6quuhgir said:
M-5":6quuhgir said:
Disney closed Today at 5 and will b e closed tIll storm is gone

My understanding from them was, they were staying there. Are the rides closed, but housing still available? They were impressed that it had its own water supply.
Why?
If not for their own water.
Where else did they think Disney would keep their kid eating alligators?

JSCATTLE":2jhnv9ee said:
no reason to call people idiots for staying and protecting what they have worked for ..
If they are there to protect what they have sure.....but you have to be willing to actually protect. I dont think they will. She's stubborn and i believe she stayed because everyone was telling her to get out. They had 2 places to go in Gainsville to be with family. Her daughter and his daughter live there and have room for them. There was absolutely no reason to stay. And it shows they have no idea what danger they are in after seeing they are setting up camp in the basement.
So we'll see. Got up early to see how the storm was this morning. This is not good for my MIL who is very ill. If anything happens to her son it will shorten her life.

cowgirl8":234glprw said:
JSCATTLE":234glprw said:
no reason to call people idiots for staying and protecting what they have worked for ..
If they are there to protect what they have sure.....but you have to be willing to actually protect. I dont think they will. She's stubborn and i believe she stayed because everyone was telling her to get out. They had 2 places to go in Gainsville to be with family. Her daughter and his daughter live there and have room for them. There was absolutely no reason to stay. And it shows they have no idea what danger they are in after seeing they are setting up camp in the basement.
So we'll see. Got up early to see how the storm was this morning. This is not good for my MIL who is very ill. If anything happens to her son it will shorten her life.

Well to have a basement in Florida they must live on a hill so they'll be fine. Normally along the coast the water table is only a few feet below the surface of the ground.

True Grit Farms":3njm975z said:
Well to have a basement in Florida they must live on a hill so they'll be fine. Normally along the coast the water table is only a few feet below the surface of the ground.
They are 11 feet above sea level. Not sure how they built this house 80 yrs ago that allowed it to have a basement. Its creepy, dark and small and not on a hill....

TennesseeTuxedo":2sii8ijw said:
Call her. She'll tell you.
Honestly, i feel that they are adults and can do what they want and I just find it idiotic when they have a place to go.... Its my dying MIL who is upset, probably didnt sleep all night with worry. She'll be here any minute to spend the day with her great grand kids..She's tried calling but crazy is no longer answering her phone or text, and yes, she'll control BILs phone. Suppose she's tired of being questioned... Would have been very simple to drive 2 hours away and stay at one of their kids homes..But instead she thought of herself. All done for attention, thats how she is.

cowgirl8":2t6ewp36 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2t6ewp36 said:
Honestly, i feel that they are adults and can do what they want and I just find it idiotic when they have a place to go.... Its my dying MIL who is upset, probably didnt sleep all night with worry. She'll be here any minute to spend the day with her great grand kids..She's tried calling but crazy is no longer answering her phone or text, and yes, she'll control BILs phone. Suppose she's tired of being questioned... Would have been very simple to drive 2 hours away and stay at one of their kids homes..But instead she thought of herself. All done for attention, thats how she is.
It is very possible she can't answer-many thousands without electricity and cell towers and other computer related services are down. Even National Weather Service/National Hurricane Center/NOAA servers were down for much of last night and late yesterday--may be back up this morning--I haven't checked yet.

"All done for attention, thats how she is."

Looks like she succeeded again! Just totally ignore her for a few years (no contact what so ever) and she will come out of her shell! Your life will be better when you quit focusing on others actions.

cowgirl8":1mdk0vlo said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1mdk0vlo said:

You can't be serious. She controls his phone? Is he mentally, emotionally, or otherwise impaired? I can only think of one other possible reason, and this forum is supposed to be family friendly, so I won't spell it out.

Rafter S":293b5z2j said:
M-5":293b5z2j said:
Some folks need to learn hard lessons in life plus a woman that wont listen to her husband deserves what they get

My wife doesn't dominate me, and I don't try to dominate her. We make important decisions together. With that being said, if she wanted to stay in that situation (don't get me wrong, she wouldn't), and I couldn't convince her to go, I don't think I could go off and leave her there by herself.
Rafter S":293b5z2j said:
cowgirl8":293b5z2j said:
TennesseeTuxedo":293b5z2j said:

You can't be serious. She controls his phone? Is he mentally, emotionally, or otherwise impaired? I can only think of one other possible reason, and this forum is supposed to be family friendly, so I won't spell it out.

and now you know why I replied the way I did, SOME women don't know their roles.

I'll say that he!! or high water wouldn't get me to leave my place, evacuation order or not... Most likely would be forest fires... I would like to think I'm much better prepared than these people though and am making an educated decision

No sensible person that's ever been thru one on the coast would stay. The house don't care one bit whether you are in it or not, as it's getting swept away. There were hundreds of homes in this same area just a few days before this picture was taken.
1024x1024.jpg

This is a memorial to the thousands of folks that lost their lives in the 1900 Galveston storm. It sits on a seawall 17 ft high. Photo was taken the afternoon before Ike came thru.
floorbeamtributeWP.jpg

This is what Ike looked and sounded like--for hours and hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI0lq9hriWo

Latest posts