Idiots!

Help Support CattleToday:

I've never been through a hurricane. Can't say if it's truely foolish to stay or not. the video GB posted, makes me think it would be crazy to stay. I get the whole stay with your property thing. I have also had everything single solitary worldy possession wiped away, along with every minutes worth of work for 25 years. Still not back where I was. I do know the only thing any of have, thats worth anything is our families. Probably be best, to get your family to a safe place.

Ive been through Several with Opal being the worst. I could not get out of town and watched the bay rise about 10 or 12 ft that night. I was even interviewed by jim cantorie in 94 while putting shutters up on the store.

M-5":1kmtfca9 said:
Ive been through Several with Opal being the worst. I could not get out of town and watched the bay rise about 10 or 12 ft that night. I was even interviewed by jim cantorie in 94 while putting shutters up on the store.

Hey, were in the same club. He interviewed me in 06. They used to play it on there a bunch. The caption under my name always said Marmaduke Indiana.

I didn't know who the heck he was and just answered his questions, a few weeks later I was back home and my cousin said he was watching the weather channel in las vegas to see what the storm was doing and there I was on TV.

M-5":e2v5c0q3 said:
I didn't know who the heck he was and just answered his questions, a few weeks later I was back home and my cousin said he was watching the weather channel in las vegas to see what the storm was doing and there I was on TV.

Probably be best, to leave town if you hear he's coming.

Rafter S":3layoc95 said:
cowgirl8":3layoc95 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3layoc95 said:
Call her. She'll tell you.
Honestly, i feel that they are adults and can do what they want and I just find it idiotic when they have a place to go.... Its my dying MIL who is upset, probably didnt sleep all night with worry. She'll be here any minute to spend the day with her great grand kids..She's tried calling but crazy is no longer answering her phone or text, and yes, she'll control BILs phone. Suppose she's tired of being questioned... Would have been very simple to drive 2 hours away and stay at one of their kids homes..But instead she thought of herself. All done for attention, thats how she is.

You can't be serious. She controls his phone? Is he mentally, emotionally, or otherwise impaired? I can only think of one other possible reason, and this forum is supposed to be family friendly, so I won't spell it out.

Yes she does, for the longest they had only one phone and if you wanted to talk to him, you had to go though her first. She also controls the car, he does not get to drive. But, she will sit in the drivers seat and wait for him to come around and open the door. She apparently cant open doors and will stand in front of a closed door and wait for him to open it. The look of panic he gets is crazy if he sees she's standing in front of a closed door...We think she drugs him...lol
Well, other than things being blown around they survived. My concern was not any danger they were in, but the danger they put firemen and first responders in if they needed rescued. Spent the day with my MIL, the other reason they are idiots. She got no sleep. She doesnt understand what the weather channel says, in fact, she came over at 8am thinking the hurricane was gone..BHH...She's not a well woman and does not need any stress and this stressed her out a bunch.

M-5":2p1sariz said:

I couldn't find the clip of you being interviewed (there were none of anyone getting interviewed), but I found some footage of Opal. I have determined that I will never live in an area where there's a chance of hurricanes. I can't swim and I'm not a big fan of high winds.

opal was destructive. I was in Destin for 3 yrs 93 to 96 and it seamed like we had 4 or 5 tropical systems during that time. I always sent my wife home to her parents house and I stayed thru them all.

Does she tell you to leave when the cougars get to roaming around your house? If not, just leave her be.

Ol' 243":8jejxreh said:
Does she tell you to leave when the cougars get to roaming around your house? If not, just leave her be.
Always sending me information on dangers of cougars as a matter of fact. I get lots of articles from her on bears, snakes, shark attacks when we are bay fishing... and she sends us articles from storm watchers when they are coming to our area....
Get this. A few years ago we dove out that way and again, stopped by to see them. She wanted to go to a wildlife park, in a pairie, cant remember the name but its near Gainesville, beautiful place. While she is here, she freaks out at any small bug, spider, grasshopper. Wont go out if she sees any type of bug. With that in mind, we walked on a trail that was about 15 ft wide with waist deep grass on either side. At one point, alligators longer than 12 ft and smaller were coming out of the grass and crossing this path in front of us. Although i kept my cool, i was interested in seeing her reaction. Nothing, in fact, she walked really close to some of them like they were puppies. This make no sense AT ALL....freak out at a grasshopper, yet, a 12 ft gator nothing. I have a picture somewhere...It was crazy, she acted like it was nothing. She's crazy i tell you, crazy..

Looks like most escaped with no loss of life or injuries but really shows how self centered and inconsiderate some people can be when all they think about is themselves and never give a thought to how many hundred people may be risking their life to save their worthless a$$ because they were stupid.

I know plenty of folks that stayed in their homes and they don't or won't call 911. Believe it or not some folks know how to take care of themselves. As a matter of fact my dad has been without power since Thursday at 9pm and still is. He wouldn't leave but he has a whole house - neighborhood generator 500 gallons of fuel and spare, Rolladen roll down hurricane shutters, and a metal roof. He also lives on the highest point in Rio - Jensen right on the St. Lucie river of all places. We all wish he'd of left but you'd of had to kill him and no one was prepared to do that.
Grouping all folks together is not fair to those who are prepared and willing to do what needs to be done. The know it all Yankees that moved down and live in flat low lying areas got wacked. Likewise all those that stayed and had hurricane parties need to go to the Daytona Beach - Jacksonville area and look around.

I've been in 2 evacuations--one in late August '08 by accident, when Orange/Beaumont area was being evacuated, and I just hapened to be returning from Bolivar Peninsula. Took me 4 hours to travel 40 miles from Winnie to Liberty. Next one was after Hurricane Ike. We lived in an apt at the time while my house was being constructed, and rode the storm out fine (we're nearly 100 miles from the Gulf) but the next day, when it was announced it would be 3 weeks before power was restored, we joined to procession North and went to Little Rock Arkansas to stay with my brother. What a PITA!! We drove 80 miles (at a crawl) before we came to anything with electricity and saw trees down along the interstate even in Arkansas.

The first true hurricane that comes along, we will probably not stay in this house, as it sits up high on pilings and has not yet proven itself against sustained hurricane force winds--a trade-off we had to make to ensure it would never flood when the river got up, tho it did hold up perfectly against some kind of straight line winds a few months ago that ripped up hundreds of old oaks and pine trees in a 20 mile radius, including about 15 on my, my brother's and my sister's property. I never felt the house move that night, but there is a huge difference between an hour of wind and 6-8 hrs of non-stop wind. It's the constant buffeting that destroys houses or their roofs during a hurricane. I have a responsibility to keep my wife safe no matter what, even if it means leaving our home.

GB,
Ike remained well organized for days after landfall, same as many that come ashore between Sabine Pass and Galveston. Even here in Arkansas we deal with record rainfall, flooding, tornadoes, wind damage, extended power outages. Of course not to the extent you folks closer to the coast do. I understand why you head to LIT, but if it wasn't for family I'd head northwest.

http://m.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/ent ... tryID=7531

greybeard said:
I've been in 2 evacuations--one in late August '08 by accident, when Orange/Beaumont area was being evacuated, and I just hapened to be returning from Bolivar Peninsula. Took me 4 hours to travel 40 miles from Winnie to Liberty. Next was Hurricane Ike

This was an overhead of Emerald II in Crystal Beach the day after Ike. We lost our Camp during that storm. Very glad we weren't there. We were allowed in 2 weeks after and it looked like an atomic bomb had hit the area. Some areas were worst than others. I guess the bands were different.
Anyone staying after seeing that scene better tell their relatives goodbye and have their business in order.

bbirder":wj7l0i2r said:
greybeard":wj7l0i2r said:
I've been in 2 evacuations--one in late August '08 by accident, when Orange/Beaumont area was being evacuated, and I just hapened to be returning from Bolivar Peninsula. Took me 4 hours to travel 40 miles from Winnie to Liberty. Next was Hurricane Ike

This was an overhead of Emerald II in Crystal Beach the day after Ike. We lost our Camp during that storm. Very glad we weren't there. We were allowed in 2 weeks after and it looked like an atomic bomb had hit the area. Some areas were worst than others. I guess the bands were different.
Anyone staying after seeing that scene better tell their relatives goodbye and have their business in order.
Sometime around 2006-'07, wife and I stayed at a Swede's rental in Emerald.
2 weeks after the storm...I was on Bolivar on Sept 27, 2008.
Remember this?
Bridge over Rollover Pass.

My brother's place on Meynig St Crystal Beach Tx in May 2008--he had just purchased it:

Same place 2 weeks after Ike:

His place, same address today:

When I snag them off a CD, I'll post a few pictures from my place here in San Jacinto county taken as the back end of the storm was still blowing thru the morning after landfall 100 miles away.

I've got way to many to post taken as we went in and while there. Couldn't stay long. After about 30 min at the site of our place, wife told me she couldn't take any more. Let's go.
Funny story. When we got to the Rollover bridge, one lane as your pic showed, prepared to show utility bill, we were stopped by the Constable. He asked my name and after telling him Broussard, he asked what part of Louisiana we were from. I told him Abbeville, and he said his relatives were from Erath (7 mi away) so I must be OK. No ID necessary. I think he cheated when he saw I didn't have front plates.

Me too--got hundreds from the beach, but not too many from up here in San Jac county.
In this video, I am located just to the right of the 'e' in Conroe. Conroe is 22 miles from my house, so we got a pretty good spankin from Ike even as far away as we were from landfall. By watching the clock timestamp, you can see just how long any area is subject to high winds. It's hours--in this case, about 8 hrs. Eye went right over us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMQjJMogZ6E

Sept 12, here in Cleveland, San Jacinto County Texas--
The evening before the storm hit, right before dark . The sky looked .....strangely calm and deceiving.

The storm made landfall (eye came ashore) around 2am but because this one had such a big wind field, our power went out around 10-11pm on the same night the above pic was taken. We had already had our lamps ready in the apt we lived in at the time, both vehicles filled with gas and enough canned food to last a week or so. I had spent all day before, tying everything down out at the farm 9 miles away, boarded up my sister's weekend home as good as I could, moved the cows to the most interior pasture I had and I was beat, so when the lights (and tv) went out--as well as most radio stations, I laid down on the couch and went to sleep. About 3am, I knew it was bad out because I could hear crap hitting the wall outside, and could hear the wind screaming. Opened the door once and water blew all over the place so I idn't make that mistake again till almost dawn.
Got out to my truck, intending to drive out and check on the cows, dodging all kinds of crap in town, but highway was blocked with down trees and utility poles, so I went back to the apt. Here's the picture as I drove back in to the apt--that's my Silver Fiero.

Wind was so strong, it stripped the glass part off the passenger side rear veiw mirror--I found it later down the parking lot aways. Wife was awake, and had never seen a hurricane and wanted to go take a look.

Latest posts