Idiots at Texas Parks and Wildlife

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Went with a buddy of mine to help him on his deer lease, they were having a work day and he's down in his back right now. Of course truth be told I loved going, so I could fish those stocked tanks. Fishing was great!!!

Anyway their are 2 wardens on the lease that work a lot of the S.E. Texas area. So after a liberal amount of Jo's, Code Red punch none of us were feelin much pain. Of course its a deer camp, so the conversation went to deer hunting. The wardens spilled the beans about how many dead bucks they found this year that had a 12 1/2" spread. People just shot em and if they didnt measure the meat was left to waste. They were afraid of how hard they worked writing tickets this year, that next year was gonna be a whole lot worse with even more bucks left to rot...

Needless to say these boys were not a big fan of this rule...As they said deer hunters need to be raising hell with their elected officials. What do you folks thinK about the rule? Me, I could care less, I fish. Its easy to put a undersized or oversized fish back in the water, not so easy to bring a deer back alive.

I like the 13 inch rule . If people would take the time to look at a deer instead of shooting the first thing with hair . I'm on a managed timber company lease that is 14 inch or better . We are seeing older mature deer over the last few years . Several 10 points with 18 inch spreads killed this year .its kinda like when they outlawed dog hunting . Everyone hated it and said it wouldn't help the deer population. There are more deer in east texas now than there ever has been . As far as them finding deer dead . I highly doubt that . As think as the youpons are around here and as many buzzards and coyotes we have a dead deer last a couple days at most . Sounds like a bunch of guys with the " if its brown its down " mentality .

Guess the buzzards work a little different in your part of the state. In the winter time around here a buzzard will eat the eyes and anus and then they will leave it for quite a while before they come back to work on it. Summertime they are on it quick, but the winter I think they must like it to age.

As for the guys on this lease, no they have their act together, but the game wardens work the S.E. Texas area, so yes they see all types of yahoos. So, what do you do about the deer that are shot by the yahoos and left to rot. This idea that the horns outside of the deers ears dont always work according to these wardens, and I think they are in a better position to make that judgement. It seems to me that it might be difficult to make the right decision for a young hunter with no room for error. As these wardens stated, they had to right violations for horns that were a 1/4 short. As they related to us, they had hunters that said from now on they will measure and if its short, the animal is left for the buzzards..

Seems to me to be a big waste just to grow horns. As you said your on a managed timber lease, guys there will be self policing. On public lands such as the national forests this is not the case.

sim.-ang.king":hinobfvn said:
I think you texans are just a little bit crazy about your scrawny deer. :lol:

Bet you would shoot and eat one if you were hungry enough. :nod: A huge majority of Texas deer hunters are meat hunters. Could care less about "horns".

Sounds like a dumb rule to me. If it was me I would just leave the buck there to rot. Who wants to get a fine, if they stay within the bag limit?? I can see having to have buck tags, so people don't shoot all the bucks they see. But quality deer management should not be forced on those that don't want it. The DNR folks have everything wrong when it comes to fishing and hunting. The Lord put these animals here for us to eat, and we let politics, and money come between common sense. Lots of people like to eat what they catch and kill. And they don't care how big or small the fish or buck is. If you have a bag limit, there should be no size limit. Some species of fish they have a slot limit, they can't be to big or to small. The DNR is supposed to be working for us, not against us.

Deer are like a plague of locusts around here. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the whole herd caught some kind of disease and disappeared from the landscape. Killing deer with guns does not hurt their numbers.

TexasBred":3easzy93 said:
sim.-ang.king":3easzy93 said:
I think you texans are just a little bit crazy about your scrawny deer. :lol:

Bet you would shoot and eat one if you were hungry enough. :nod: A huge majority of Texas deer hunters are meat hunters. Could care less about "horns".
I like corn fat on my deer, but if I was hungry I might eat one if there wasn't any dillos around. ;-)

ga.prime":25zm80m7 said:
Deer are like a plague of locusts around here. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the whole herd caught some kind of disease and disappeared from the landscape. Killing deer with guns does not hurt their numbers.
We're on the same page. Only thing worse than deer are the deer hunters.

jedstivers":18domnq3 said:
ga.prime":18domnq3 said:
We're on the same page. Only thing worse than deer are the deer hunters.

Your right about that Jed
We have the Dallas yuppie hunters here, you wouldn't believe some of the things they do

Seems to me that if the deer was close then the wardens should be able to write a warning rather than a ticket. I'm not for the waste of wildlife.

So how do you like the Code Red?

houstoncutter":332pjael said:
Guess the buzzards work a little different in your part of the state. In the winter time around here a buzzard will eat the eyes and anus and then they will leave it for quite a while before they come back to work on it. Summertime they are on it quick, but the winter I think they must like it to age.

As for the guys on this lease, no they have their act together, but the game wardens work the S.E. Texas area, so yes they see all types of yahoos. So, what do you do about the deer that are shot by the yahoos and left to rot. This idea that the horns outside of the deers ears dont always work according to these wardens, and I think they are in a better position to make that judgement. It seems to me that it might be difficult to make the right decision for a young hunter with no room for error. As these wardens stated, they had to right violations for horns that were a 1/4 short. As they related to us, they had hunters that said from now on they will measure and if its short, the animal is left for the buzzards..

Seems to me to be a big waste just to grow horns. As you said your on a managed timber lease, guys there will be self policing. On public lands such as the national forests this is not the case.

I think the yahoos you speak of will break any rule... it has little to do with 13". ;-) We work cows, hog hunt, trap for all kinds of people around here and we find all the stupid stuff their deer hunters do. There have been stupid hunters before the 13" rule and there will be stupid hunters after the 13" rule.

Killing deer with guns does not hurt their numbers.[/quote]
We're on the same page. Only thing worse than deer are the deer hunters.[/quote]
Will agree. Every year I tell wife will never let another hunter on the place. I cave in and let it happen again.
I do tell them if they are hunting horns go to the game preserve and pick them up after they shed.

Saddens me that you guys seem to be meeting slob hunters :( I have never associated with ilk like that. I have too much respect for the deer and the landowners to act the fool. My daddy would have slapped my head off if I had disrespected a landowner, their rules, property or the the animal that I hunted.

HOSS":ksuh0mdg said:
Saddens me that you guys seem to be meeting slob hunters :( I have never associated with ilk like that. I have too much respect for the deer and the landowners to act the fool. My daddy would have slapped my head off if I had disrespected a landowner, their rules, property or the the animal that I hunted.

Hoss a bunch of these type folks won't be local. Once they get on site and get a gut full of liquor everything simply goes to he!!. A lot of landowners put up with it because they're making so much money off these jerks.

JSCATTLE":2c5gno2u said:
I like the 13 inch rule . If people would take the time to look at a deer instead of shooting the first thing with hair . I'm on a managed timber company lease that is 14 inch or better . We are seeing older mature deer over the last few years . Several 10 points with 18 inch spreads killed this year .its kinda like when they outlawed dog hunting . Everyone hated it and said it wouldn't help the deer population. There are more deer in east texas now than there ever has been . As far as them finding deer dead . I highly doubt that . As think as the youpons are around here and as many buzzards and coyotes we have a dead deer last a couple days at most . Sounds like a bunch of guys with the " if its brown its down " mentality .

:bs: We have less deer now than we have ever had in my lifetime. Tyler county for years was the number four county in the state for deer population. You seldom see one now. You couldn't drive from Woodville to Chester without counting 80 to 100 on that 15 mile stretch of road. Today you have someting to talk about if you see one.
Deer don't eat pine straw!

Caustic Burno":22m8v83k said:
JSCATTLE":22m8v83k said:

:bs: We have less deer now than we have ever had in my lifetime. Tyler county for years was the number four county in the state for deer population. You seldom see one now. You couldn't drive from Woodville to Chester without counting 80 to 100 on that 15 mile stretch of road. Today you have someting to talk about if you see one.
Deer don't eat pine straw!
I see 10 to 15 every time I sit in my stand . I have pictures of at least 40 different deer feeding in my food plot from October last year. I grew up hunting around people that shot the first thing they saw . I hunted for 12 years every weekend when I was a kid before I saw a deer to shoot .
According to this. http://trinitywaters.org/media/4761/pin ... status.pdf deer populations have been on the rise for the last 20 years in the piney woods .

JSC the Park's and Wildlife can tell you what ever they want.
I have been on the same lease 6,000 acre's since 1963 we killed 130 to 150 deer a year off that lease every year for 20 year's. The Park's and Wildlife were giving us a stack of doe tag's as thick as the phone book. I have killed 100's of deer off that lease in 50 year's from a doe to a 12 point. It makes me sick to see where we have came from and where it has gone. It wasn't deer management that wiped us out but land management. The timber companies went from selective cutting to pine plantation. When the deforrestation caught up with us we had a die off and the herd has never recovered to native habitat level's. We kill maybe 35 a year now. The herd will never recover it can't the food is not here to support it. I was hunting here when they were still restocking and all you were allowed was a buck. The only mounted deer in my home was killed 1956 on the Nigton Road outside of Apple Spring's. And yes Nigton is a town you can look it up on a Texas map.
You can't cut 2 million acres of native forrest and think pine plantation is going to support anywhere near the game.
You can let the Park's and Wildlife blow smoke up your butt, I have lived from none to herd's running on my place to almost none again. It has gotten so bad the lease I have been on for 50 year's I didn't get on it this year, I am hunting South Texas this year and hopefully Georgia next.
I have several protien and corn feeder's on my place with food plot's the camera's can go week's with crow's coon and squirrels only on them. This is on the same ground in the 70's and 80's you couldn't' walk a 150 yard's from the house without burning powder if you were hungry.

I agree with the pine plantations ruining the deer hunting . The lease I'm on is mld 3 and we have five 1 acre foot plots that are planted year round . I've killed several good deer in the national forest . Still a few hard wood bottoms left . Deer dont really have to move far from the pine thickets . Youpon thickets provide food and bedding . I also think four wheelers hurt the deer hunting . On my land opening day of bow season ill see 15 to 20 deer in a day . By youth weekend you start hearing four wheelers running down the logging roads and fewer deer .By the second week of gun season the deer are so scared they barley move .

Latest posts