Idiots at Texas Parks and Wildlife

Help Support CattleToday:

We are killing too many does. Thats why the numbers are down. I think clear cuts are good for the deer just not planting the whole dam thing in pines. As far as leaving one laying that is a half inch from legal, he would be going home with me. Anyone who makes that mistake and then makes another by leaving the deer laying there doesn't deserve to hunt. All these city folks that want to come pay big money for the timber company land and change the rules for everybody else messed it up to me. I never really cared about the antlers. It was always about hunting and spending time in the woods.

Im kind of curious if yall participate in deer counts? Have yall seen the numbers for yalls county over several years? Im not questioning yall observation but there may be more to the story. You remove that much cover, add more traffic and the deer will change their patterns.

In general the numbers say the deer herds are slighty growing and the number of hunters is the same. Our counts show that. Several years ago I thought the same thing that we had a decline in deer because I saw less with my eyes during the day. In fact, the counts remained the same but the areas I traveled had more trafic now than 5yrs ago so the deer adapted and were not as visible.

B&M Farms":1niew8d0 said:
We are killing too many does. Thats why the numbers are down. I think clear cuts are good for the deer just not planting the whole dam thing in pines. As far as leaving one laying that is a half inch from legal, he would be going home with me. Anyone who makes that mistake and then makes another by leaving the deer laying there doesn't deserve to hunt. All these city folks that want to come pay big money for the timber company land and change the rules for everybody else messed it up to me. I never really cared about the antlers. It was always about hunting and spending time in the woods.

I agree to many does are being taken, but this is still a land management issue no different than grass for the cow's.
Pine plantation can not support per acre as many deer as the native natural habitat.
The clear cut is great for deer for four years then the planted pine's start destroying the food for the deer.
Paper companies rolled in here clear cutting in the 70' 's with D-9's with shear blades. They cut everything and burned it, I saw entire hill sides of black walnut, cherry and cedar's wind rowed and burned.
They wiped out 2 million acres of God's work to plant pines. They haven't been back here.
They wiped out an entire industry of logging, very few people are employed by the industry anymore.

CB last time I was over in ET around Nacog/Lufkin area it was enough to make a grown man cry when you see the thousands of acres that look like they've been bombed...then planted with plantation pines which won't support any wildlife. Trucks going down the highway that use to haul big beautiful hardwood now look like they're hauling toothpicks. Must take several hundred trees to load a truck. I guess they just chip the stuff and make particle board or paper with it. Very very little virgin timber anywhere and what there is even in the state/national forest is only a small buffer zone along the highways to give the impression of a beautiful forrest. A hundred yards behind it is the same destructon.

Myself I have no problems with clearcutting in blocks, as long as they're replanted with the proper trees to provide the succesional growth that they should have.

TexasBred":2enbhdzs said:
CB last time I was over in ET around Nacog/Lufkin area it was enough to make a grown man cry when you see the thousands of acres that look like they've been bombed...then planted with plantation pines which won't support any wildlife. Trucks going down the highway that use to haul big beautiful hardwood now look like they're hauling toothpicks. Must take several hundred trees to load a truck. I guess they just chip the stuff and make particle board or paper with it. Very very little virgin timber anywhere and what there is even in the state/national forest is only a small buffer zone along the highways to give the impression of a beautiful forrest. A hundred yards behind it is the same destructon.

They are building a pellet plant here to make wood pellet's to ship to Europe also building a Cogen plant ot run off the wood chip's . The paper industry has went belly up they shutdown the paper mill in Lufkin.

Caustic Burno":3d5tt00p said:
They are building a pellet plant here to make wood pellet's to ship to Europe also building a Cogen plant ot run off the wood chip's . The paper industry has went belly up they shutdown the paper mill in Lufkin.

Is that old paper mill still operating over there in Evadale??

dun, so much of the pine being planted is never allowed to get any real size on it. Seems once it gets about 30 ft. tall and 6 inches in diameter they cut it. Almost like the old pulp wood all the folks use to cut and haul. Real "Forest" is very scattered.

TexasBred":1uoem4il said:
Caustic Burno":1uoem4il said:

Is that old paper mill still operating over there in Evadale??

dun, so much of the pine being planted is never allowed to get any real size on it. Seems once it gets about 30 ft. tall and 6 inches in diameter they cut it. Almost like the old pulp wood all the folks use to cut and haul. Real "Forest" is very scattered.

The plant at Evadale is still operational.
They closed the Lufkin paper mill. The current pellet plant is being built in Woodville.
Two million acres of the Big Thicket is gone and replaced with pine plantation.
The pine they harvest now is stick's. You rarely see a log truck on the road anymore.
There was a tract of land down near Rye that Carter Lumber got thousand's of board feet off of every year by selective cutting. After saleing the land to a major paper company they clear cut they haven't got a board foot in twenty year's they did accomplish in destroying wildlife habitat.

Latest posts