Idaman

Help Support CattleToday:

Wow, just got done reading through all of these posts. What a man Tom was indeed, with lots of interesting stories. His knowledge and input will be missed from the boards. May God be with his family and his grace shine upon Tom in heaven.

ALACOWMAN":7d3jafw5 said:
maybe macon will freeze this thread at the top, where it can still be read , enjoyed and posted on for a long time espcially for the newcomers

I'll second that, I think an all time best thread page or something like that would be great, I hope we don't lose Idaman's videos he posted..... what an insight to history. Thank You Tom.

Alan

ALACOWMAN":jj5dhpyg said:
maybe macon will freeze this thread at the top, where it can still be read , enjoyed and posted on for a long time espcially for the newcomers
I'll third it. This thread is as good as any book you could read. Both inspiring and informative.

Among many wonderful things about Idaman's stories was the fact that he was a very talented writer. His stories flowed nicely, the humor came through very naturally, and you could practically hear his voice and visualize the different personalities he described. That's a rare skill, one of many that he possessed.

2/B or not 2/B":n0jqis63 said:
Among many wonderful things about Idaman's stories was the fact that he was a very talented writer. His stories flowed nicely, the humor came through very naturally, and you could practically hear his voice and visualize the different personalities he described. That's a rare skill, one of many that he possessed.

I have a hard time remembering the names of people I have business relationships with NOW, it is amazing that Mr Hooks could remember people from 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago in such detail.

I too thoroughly enjoyed reading Idaman's posts and was shocked to read of his passing. He died on my birthday.

Thanks for the placement of this thread Macon a great read anytime, written by a true rancher and from the sounds of it a spirit that did not waste any of the life given to him on this earth.

Alan

I never knew of Tom Hook until a last summer when he purchased three Angus pairs from me. He came clear down to Peyton to look them over and see the calves. That day we spent a a few precious hours visiting over cold sweet tea with my family, Tom, Mrs. Connie Hook, and her mother. That day he introduced us to the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) curriculum. Although his purchase of my cows gave me a secure footing in the beef industry, I will remember him far longer for him introducing me to schooling that has grown my faith exponentially. He was indeed a remarkable man, and I and my family will miss him, but the Lord is certainly celebrating over a saint returning home. I last talked to him the first of February, discussing the condition of the cattle and my 4-H and school work. Glad I got to speak to him before he was called home.
Cade Christensen

Just noticed the sad news. You never know when it will be your last day on earth.

There are many ways a person's influence can live on. I'll forever remember the stories Tom shared. I recall recommending on page one of this thread that he write a book, and I hope it can still be put together. I know many who don't use the internet that would enjoy the printed word.

I just finished reading this thread. It felt like a knife in my heart when I read he died. I loved this thread, and hearing of the life he LIVED.

I bought some of the books he suggested, and am enjoying them today and forever.

I can only hope to be as great a man and soul as IDAMAN. He is off to a new adventure, one we all make someday.

Be that Idaho Man, he is The Man.

From far away I pay my respects to Idaman's family and friends.
Somehow I was fascinated by his stories, and when I read that he had passed away, a part of myself did the same.

alacattleman":2hm5xptk said:
Idaman":2hm5xptk said:
scan00031.jpg

Prince Blanchard 170 our first bull from Carl Martin.
Notice the signature of the photographer it is Jane Nash Deewal
good looking bull,,, i like him better than his sire

Geez......how old are you today?

Kingfisher":21a5mzr4 said:
alacattleman":21a5mzr4 said:
Idaman":21a5mzr4 said:
scan00031.jpg

good looking bull,,, i like him better than his sire

Geez......how old are you today?
just seen this, you talking to me :?:

Notice the signature of the photographer it is Jane Nash Deewal[/quote] good looking bull,,, i like him better than his sire[/quote]

Geez......how old are you today?[/quote] just seen this, you talking to me :?:[/quote]
Oh my gosh I LOVE this picture. Looks like a bull my Grandpa had. He sold his Holsteins and went into Herefords in the 40s.

CKC1586":nfw1kbrx said:
good looking bull,,, i like him better than his sire[/quote]

Geez......how old are you today?[/quote] just seen this, you talking to me :?:[/quote]
Oh my gosh I LOVE this picture. Looks like a bull my Grandpa had. He sold his Holsteins and went into Herefords in the 40s.[/quote]

That's funny Cathy my grandfather sold his sheep(as soon as the ranch was paid off) and went to Herefords in the early 40's.

He told me when i was little that he paid for a farm and a ranch raising the things others didn't want to raise and the things he knew folks had to have(beans)

FWIW he (my grandpa) bought cattle from the Deewal's at some point. According to my Dad anyway!

CKC1586":1b0vzzw8 said:
good looking bull,,, i like him better than his sire[/quote]

Oh my gosh I LOVE this picture. Looks like a bull my Grandpa had. He sold his Holsteins and went into Herefords in the 40s.
[/quote]

Grandpa and Grandma had dairy cattle but were milking by hand, Grandma decided they were getting out of the Holsteins because she was not gonna spend the money on milking machines, she was clearly the boss of the place and everyone knew it. They raised some fine Herefords. They gave my brother a beautiful heifer for his 13th birthday and he built a herd that when he sold it at age 19 he bought a little farm down the road from our homestead.

Latest posts