Help Support CattleToday:

memanpa

Reaction score
being the curious type i decided to find out what alice's tag line
"ILLIGITMI NIL CARBORUNDUM meant
i like it
Illegitimi non carborundum
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Illegitimi non carborundum is a mock-Latin aphorism jokingly taken to mean "don't let the "badboys" grind you down". There are many variants of the phrase, such as

Non illegitimis carborundum.
Illegitimi nil carborundum.
Non illegitimi carborundum.
Nil bastardo carborundum.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Illegitimis non carborundum.

None of the above is correct Latin. Carborundum is not a Latin word but the brand name of a commercial abrasive originating in the 19th century (see silicon carbide article). The ending -undum suggests a Latin gerund form, but the word is actually a portmanteau of "carbon" (from Latin), and "corundum" (from Tamil kurundam).

Illegitimi suggests illegitimate to the English speaker, or bastardo likewise, but the Latin for bastard is actually nothus from the Greek word notho meaning not-pure, and used when referring to a 'badboy whose father is known) or spurius (for a "badboy" whose father is unknown). The forms with nil may be formed partly on the pattern of the genuine Latin phrase Nil desperandum.

The phrase originated during World War II. Lexicographer Eric Partridge attributes it to British army intelligence very early in the war (in the plural illegitimis). The phrase was adopted by US Army general "Vinegar" Joe Stillwell as his motto during the war.[1] It was later further popularized in the US by 1964 presidential candidate Barry Goldwater.[2]

Henry Beard in his 1991 book Latin for Even More Occasions (chapter I) offered some correct Latin for the sentiment, but did so in a section Dopey Exhortations Are More Forceful in Latin, which might be his comment on the merit of the expression.

Don't let the "badboy" wear you down.
Noli nothis permittere te terere.

i edited it and changed the original word to badboy fearing the correct word would be offensive but i think you can get the point :D but it does start with a b :D

We've already been thru this latin lesson once. Do a search and you'll find it.

Alice

Alice":17ydvtpu said:
We've already been thru this latin lesson once. Do a search and you'll find it.

Alice

i just did cut and pasted directly from wikiup!

what seems to be the problem, read what I wrote before you get all defensive!!!!!!

Alice,I try live by those words everyday.There are a lot of "badboys" out there and their mission in life is to wear you down.
Have a good Memorial Day Weekend.
HD

hillsdown":xnhyyuqd said:
Alice,I try live by those words everyday.There are a lot of "badboys" out there and their mission in life is to wear you down.
Have a good Memorial Day Weekend.
HD

Thanks, HD...you have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend also. :)

Alice

Nec verbum verbo curabis reddere fidus interpres. ~ As a true translator you will take care not to translate word for word.----Horace

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Translated: Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe. :D

Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!

Translated: May barbarians invade your personal space!

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Translated: When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris

Translated: If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Translated: In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Translated: I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

"Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis" which is scripted in Latin. The English translation means "Education is the most effective form of rebellion". The moral of Thorin's quote is that much more can be accomplished with a book rather than a bat. The system itself cannot be beaten by simply dropping out and having a middle finger attitude. To truly make a difference, you need not only angst, but also a firm foundation on what makes the system what it is. Past revolutionaries (Che, King Jr, Gandhi....) all knew how to use the system to their advantage and bring about change. Society loves stupid people because they are so easy to control. To truly make a difference organize with the tools that truly bring about change: Education and Unity. The sheep (people in general) are force feed poop everyday via the media. Unfortunately they take it all in with their mouths open wide. The uneducated cannot tell the difference between truth and lie, instead they tend to believe everything that is broadcasted without even questioning it. Everyday the system is unjust and unfair. Without education, and unity, this massive corporate lobbied tax hijacked machine can never be re-tooled. It is up to YOU to make the changes needed to improve YOUR society. It is time to stand for what you believe in, and be heard. Ignorance is the single greatest tool of oppression.

As Alice says we have had the Latin lesson before so

Pax Vobiscum to all of you.....inreply Ecce Spiritus Tuus.
(peace be with you) (Hold the Spirit)

Latin as French can not be translated word for word into English as it would just be a load of jibberish, so except things as they are sometimes.

Alice keep up the good work in not letting those bad boys wear you down. It's the age old thing a lot of Men can't handle a strong Woman, if it doesn't go their way it is wrong. it's my oppinion or none at all attitude. a good woman is bare foot, pregnant and by the kitchen sink mob. enough of the Cliche's you get my drift.

i am sooooooo sorrrrryryyyyy that i steped on poor little miss ALICE'S toes by looking it up and presenting it for others who did not realize that it had been posted before for everyone else to see!!!!!
how ever it seems that by my posting it it allowed some to vent!!! and others to add to the knowledge of the rest of us:

so my latin has been expanded again thanks 63dh8 :D :D :D :D :D

I didn't take what 63DH8 as a vent, but rather as a comment...a quite fine comment and one that I enjoyed reading. :)

As far as stepping on my toes, heck, memanpa, knock yourself out! 8)

Alice

Alice":qtwwmm4w said:
I didn't take what 63DH8 as a vent, but rather as a comment...a quite fine comment and one that I enjoyed reading. :)

Alice

my original post was not ,meant as a VENT, as a matter of fact if you look i stated I LIKE IT then you seemed to take offense at the fact i chose to cut and paste wickiup as my source
stepping on your toes would mean i would have to dance with you and i do not dance!!! :D :D

Alice":37xd0tyz said:

Alice

Thanks Alice! :) These were only a bunch of latin translations I collected over the years that make me smile that I wanted to share.

The first one was something I dug up for my youngest daughter because she wants to be a translator. I discovered the truth of the translation when I started learning other languages.

The last one, I would use on my daughters any time they started to get rebellious. I'd tell them to get educated on the subject before picking up the torch.

The rest, they were for fun whenever my girls acted up or were having too much fun. :lol2:

Lastly, I thought memanpa would enjoy the humor after the serious work he did. :) I hope everyone else enjoys too.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Translated: In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags.

This one made me laugh out loud!

The one about educating oneself before picking up the torch...that one I found quite profound... :D

Alice