I SAVE YA THE TROUBLE

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
Ok... before yall say it.... Here goes!
You are stupid!
That is the dumbest question I have ever heard of!
You want to raise cattle? Good luck idiot!
Etc. Etc. Etc.

So.... as some of you may know I already have 200 acres and would like to purchase cattle, and I want a great herd of cattle and am willing to pay for it up to a point. I like the idea of a uniform herd and saw in a couple of websites where ranchers are selling 3-1's. These 3-1's were all ET'S the calf at side is also ET... all identical.... and are heifers... and they are ET's back....... Are any of you familiar with this.... if so what are your thoughts....

OK - you're stupid!

I sent you a long response to your question on start up and it looks like the "3 in one" package sank in.

Now go back and read the answer again. Pay attention to things like - pens, fences, animal attitudes, preg checking and prices.

Think closely on heifers, mature cows, calving probs and breeds and what really matters - healthy.

Then think on going real slow. Four years of careful breeding and brutal culling will give you a herd to be proud of - then just work hard at improving.

Forgive me - but I think you are a newbie - my apologies if I am wrong.

Go slow and save your money - do not let wants become needs - far too easy to spend and far to slow to recover when you *%$ up.

We all have that T-shirt.

Regards

Bez

KANSAS":1y37dwy6 said:
These 3-1's were all ET'S the calf at side is also ET... all identical.... and are heifers... and they are ET's back.......

One again, Bez gives flawles advise.

The 3 in 1 thing is the way to go to build a herd fast. But this deal sounds expensive. Cows with an ET calf at side bred back with an embryo??? Sometimes deals can be too good to be true.

certherfbeef":1liy1p70 said:
KANSAS":1liy1p70 said:
These 3-1's were all ET'S the calf at side is also ET... all identical.... and are heifers... and they are ET's back.......

One again, Bez gives flawles advise.

The 3 in 1 thing is the way to go to build a herd fast. But this deal sounds expensive. Cows with an ET calf at side bred back with an embryo??? Sometimes deals can be too good to be true.

Either to good to be true or better have a few good producing oil wells to pay for them.

Sell the average calf for 500 bucks take 8 calf's to pay off the cow calf cost not counting upkeep cost. Dang cow be dead before you recoup you intial investment sure doesn't sound wise for a greenhorn.

My 2 cents

Do you know anything about the pedigrees?? I would be interested in hearing about the pedigrees on the cattle?? If it is something really popular why are they selling the embryos. I am kinda like Bruno on this one, but if the embryo calves can be sold at a regional Angus sale, like the Kansas Angus Futurity for you then maybe, maybe it is worth it. Tell us the pedigrees if you know them.

Listen to Bez' advice! 3-1's are a great way to get started, but there are LOTS of excellent cattle out there that can be had for a whole lot less than $4000/bred cow and her calf.

For a person starting out in the cattle business, it's best to get your feet wet before you jump in. I think all on this board can attest to this. Personally, I started off buying a few bred commercial heifers and some open heifers. I bred them to good bulls and now I have a well balanced productive herd of 30 brood cows. I come from a farm background, but don't make a living raising cattle. It allows me to keep the family farm running. Yes it took me awwhile to get where I wanted it to be but I have finally gotten to the point where I am satisfied. I also finish out steers as well.

If I was looking to get set up again, I would probably look for some oldtimer who's having a dispersal sale. This gives you pretty uniform cattle and if they are not bred cows, you can usually buy the herdbull as part of the package. JMHO.

Cattle Rack Rancher":2o3t3syh said:
If I was looking to get set up again, I would probably look for some oldtimer who's having a dispersal sale. This gives you pretty uniform cattle and if they are not bred cows, you can usually buy the herdbull as part of the package. JMHO.

If you haven't decided for sure that you want angus, you may want to give a look at Jim Bellis in Springfield MO. He is having a dispersal of about 90 registered herford cows. I'm sure some will be 3 in one's and he has built a great Hereford herd. He is not getting out of the business, just turning over everything that is not a heifer. I think I read where the ages would be 3 and up.

Caustic Burno obviously does not know anything about registered cattle and their value...$500/calf...that won't touch the bottom end out of someone's best commercial herd...hey if the pedigrees are solid yo excellent 4K isnt't alot for 3-n-1s with ET background...at least you know the breed that will make you a dollar...good luck

krenwic said:
Caustic Burno obviously does not know anything about registered cattle and their value/quote]

maybe but a lot of you registered people forget that without the Caustic Burnos of the world your fancy registered stock would be like ostriches and emus....worthless

krenwic":226ryqke said:
Caustic Burno obviously does not know anything about registered cattle and their value...$500/calf...that won't touch the bottom end out of someone's best commercial herd...hey if the pedigrees are solid yo excellent 4K isnt't alot for 3-n-1s with ET background...at least you know the breed that will make you a dollar...good luck

I should of known you were an Angus breeder.
Most of you wouldn't know good cattle if it came up and bit you. You follow a great marketing scheme and couldn't make a livin with commericial stock..
Obviously you are totally ignorant of the cattle industry the commercial Cattleman runs the industry. The only value a cow has is what you can get for it at the salebarn today. You can put any price you want on it and wait for some idiot to come by if he does. Without guys like me you have no outlet for those registered cows except the salebarn. That reg Angus, Hereford or whatever has no more value than that trailer load of black baldies I haul to the barn.

Caustic Burno":12zy86qx said:
krenwic":12zy86qx said:

I should of known you were an Angus breeder.
Most of you wouldn't know a good cattle if it came up and bit you. You follow a great marketing scheme and couldn't make a livin with commericial stock..
Obviously you are totally ignorant of the cattle industry the commercial Cattleman runs the industry. The only value a cow has is what you can get for it at the salebarn today. You can put any price you want on it and wait for some idiot to come by if he does. Without guys like me you have no outlet for those registered cows except the salebarn. That reg Angus, Hereford or whatever has no more value than that trailer load of black baldies I haul to the barn.

Well said..Caustic

Latest posts