I need help

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I have often spoke of my 1999 Ford Crown Victoria. It has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. All I have ever repaired was Oil @ Filters/ Tires/Breaks/Batteries/Wipers/ and wiper switch. Its appearance is still nice and shows little ware, burns no oil between oil changes and with 106 mi. It still Boogies with the new vehicles.

I had the 100K service and she ran just fine. Recently one cold morning she would not start. I used either and she fired right up. I figgured there was moisture in the gas so I added STP gas drier to fuel tank.

Recently when you shut her down and later try to start her up she won"t start. Let her set a while and she starts. Which is a pain in the ////, and is very upsetting to Kathy. All filters including fuel are new. Once she starts she runs as expected. The starting problem is just once in a while. I am puzzled.

This happened again yesterday. Kathy said when she hit the starter, the oil pressure guage was all over the place snd she heard a buzzing noise from the passenger side of the motor compartment. The only thing that buzzes sometimes is the air compressor that controls the air ride suspension. I am thinking the problem is water in fuel, Kathy filled up at Costco last Saturday.

I hate the thought of going to the Dealer and getting screwed again. Any of you had a similar problem with your Ford 4.6 V8 ?

It sounds more like a weak battery or poor ground. The buzzing could be the solenoid not getting enough current. I am assuming that it didn't turn over though. If it did then you can throw my thoughts out the window.

fatcattle":1fvgwn1a said:
It sounds more like a weak battery or poor ground. The buzzing could be the solenoid not getting enough current. I am assuming that it didn't turn over though. If it did then you can throw my thoughts out the window.
I go along with the weak battery or dirty terminals. If it does turn over and just doesn;t fire pour some drygas in the tank. If it's water that will take care of it. Don;t use too much. I found out years ago that you can burn a hole in a piston and burn up the valves that way. But it will run like a scalded dog until it does.

I don't have mine any longer or I would go out & look to be sure. I think when you raise the hood the battery is on your left. If I remember, there are a couple relays near the battery. Mine did the same thing and my mechanic knew exactly what to replace. It may be worth a shot. Good luck

fitz

fatcattle":33p7fmyx said:
Thank you for your reply, The battrey is new and the starter turned the motor over as normal, wanted to start but would'nt.

ALACOWMAN":1k1nap0l said:
when you say wont start,, does it crank over but not start ??
alacowman, Correct, cranks as usual and sounds like it wants to start but does'nt. Let her set for a while and she fires right off and runs as normal. I am thinking there is water in the fuel.

hooknline":3scnvx5p said:
Also could be a starter with weak windings or just weak in general.
Thanks Hook it
Could be but I do'nt think so. The fuel filter is new and I am thinking possibly a cracked connector allowing air into the fuel lines?

Fuel pump losing prime? Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Filter, pump. When it's running how does it run? Any rough idle or loss of power at full throttle?

kerley":3lftuz6k said:
I have often spoke of my 1999 Ford Crown Victoria. It has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. All I have ever repaired was Oil @ Filters/ Tires/Breaks/Batteries/Wipers/ and wiper switch. Its appearance is still nice and shows little ware, burns no oil between oil changes and with 106 mi. It still Boogies with the new vehicles.

I had the 100K service and she ran just fine. Recently one cold morning she would not start. I used either and she fired right up. I figgured there was moisture in the gas so I added STP gas drier to fuel tank.

Recently when you shut her down and later try to start her up she won"t start. Let her set a while and she starts. Which is a pain in the ////, and is very upsetting to Kathy. All filters including fuel are new. Once she starts she runs as expected. The starting problem is just once in a while. I am puzzled.

This happened again yesterday. Kathy said when she hit the starter, the oil pressure guage was all over the place snd she heard a buzzing noise from the passenger side of the motor compartment. The only thing that buzzes sometimes is the air compressor that controls the air ride suspension. I am thinking the problem is water in fuel, Kathy filled up at Costco last Saturday.

I hate the thought of going to the Dealer and getting screwed again. Any of you had a similar problem with your Ford 4.6 V8 ?

Run it by an autozone store and let them see if there is a code.

I should have read more and typed less. Didn't realize it was turning over, which would rule out any relay problem.

fitz

hooknline":1r36vtl5 said:
Fuel pump losing prime? Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Filter, pump. When it's running how does it run? Any rough idle or loss of power at full throttle?
Hook when it starts it runs perfectly, I do think it is a fuel problem of some sort.

If new fuel filters were just put in it's a small chance that they weren't installed right and the pump is sucking air. Losing prime. Or there's a crack in the filter. Depends. If its like the f150 its an inline filter on the frame rail.
Small chance but I've seen it quite a few times.

Latest posts