I NEED AI INFORMATION

Help Support CattleToday:

tamnik

Reaction score
I need information on AI. I am located in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. I only have a couple cows I am starting my herd out with and want the best bulls I can afford but don't want to buy a bull since it doesn't seem it wouldn be cost effective with only the couple cows.l

How do I go about finding the people that will keep the straws for me until someone comes out when the cow is in heat? And would those people that store the semen for me also be the ones that come out to insert it in the cows?

What suggestions could I get to increase my chances for success?

Any help would be wonderful.

Tami Nikitins
Creswell Oregon

Check with your local large animal vet. You may want to ask your semen supplier if they know anyone in your area. The biggest problem will be transporting it to where you be doing the insemination. The AI tech you will be using can probably store it for you, as well as bring it with him when he does the AI.

If there are any dairys in your area, talk to them. They may be willing to do the breeding and store the semen. If you buy your semen from the same distributer they use you can also save on shipping.

Your Genex rep in the area is a great guy- give him a call & he will take care of you. He is also a great source if education on the subject. His name is Dave Myhrum & his # is 503-838-6131.

Another rep to try is Larry Hanson with ABS, 503-940-1942. Also, All West Select Sires can get you to your local Rep, 1-800-426-2697.

Alan

Latest posts