I need a Terminal Sire Breed??

Help Support CattleToday:

I would suggest that I have seen some Herefords, particularly Canadians, that would make terminal sires. Huth's have a bull they call "Tank" that is incredibly thick and muscular.

Harbull":maad9fib said:
I have 250, 1250# mature 1/4 ear crossbred cows. I will need to purchase 10 bulls to re-breed them this spring. The cows have a lot of Angus/Beefmaster influence. Most of the cattle are red,dun, but some are wildly colored, about 1/4 is black.

I'm not going to keep any hiefers as replacements.

I'm not concerned with calving problems, or the show ring.

98% of my concern is pounds at weaning, but having the calves at a marketable color with no ear would be icing on the cake, because I will be selling the calves in lot loads. (probably on video)

My orginal thinking was Black Simi, Black Limi, but I'm wondering if they are as thick boned as thier red brothers. Is this true? So now I'm also considering Charlois.

I've been out of comercial cow business for the last 10 years, I'm looking for un-biased recomendation with reasoning.

I know there are good and bad bulls in every breed.

I want a big butted breed recomended to me that "consistentaly" has the biggest baddest bulls!

Thank you!
Jason in E Texas

Most any breed would make a good terminal sire on that herd, being your located in Texas hard to beat Brangus . My second choice would be Hereford or Angus.

either of those choices would work well with that cross. but i would recommend simmental or charolais over limousin. if you go wtih limis i would recommend using a LimAng instead. if it were me i'd probably go with simmental b/c they are just as growthy as the other two, i've had more calving problems with Limousin and Charolais bulls than simmental, plus when you sell the heifers they will be desirable as both feeders and potential replacements for someone. also black or black white face simmental bulls are fairly easy to find nowadays. in addition, simmental cattle are pretty docile it seems. you may even want to consider SimAng.

If you want bigboned, go with charolais. if you want big butt, go with limousin.

I would go with the guys that are saying charolais will do the job the best and not with the guys sayin that u r goin to get rat tails. we cross angus,red angus, black baldys, and we havn't got a rat tail for years. the breeding is bedder so now days u don't c many rat tails around unless u have some rat tail cows. we also have reg charolais bull that we raise and sell and run some of the on them cows i was tellin ya bout earlier. so go with the charolais calves the weights will be up where you want them!!

POLLED HEREFORDS ARE ONE OF THE BEST BREED OF CATTLE IN AMERICA. POLLED HEREFORD CATTLE ARE NOTED TO PRODUCE NICE CORRECT CALVES, THAT HAVE A LOT OF MUSCLE, AND DEPTH. I LIKE A BULL TO BE RIGHT AROUND THE 6.5-7.0 FRAMED BULLS. I HAVE HEREFORD CATTLE MYSELF AND THEY CAN SURVIVE BETTER OUT IN THE HARSH WEATHER CONDITIONS, THAN ANY OTHER BREED OUT THERE. POLLED HEREFORD COWS HAVE GREAT MILK FLOW AND ARE A VERY CALM BREED OF CATTLE. ALL OF YOUR EUROPEAN BREED ARE REALLY HIGH RANKED AND CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS SOMETIMES. SIMMENTALS, LIMOUSIN, MAINES, CHARALOIS, AND AL THOSE OTHER BREED ARE REALLY GOING TO SIRE YOU NOTHING, BUT BIG FRAMED CALVES, WITH BIG BLOCK HEADS AND SOMETIMES WHEN YOU HAVE THEM BRED TO EURO-BREEDS, COWS WILL THROUGH NOTHING, BUT BIG CALVES, WEIGHING 100LBS. PLUS. SO, USE THE GOOD OLD BRITISH BRREED. USE A POLLED HERFORD. HEREFORDS, DOING MORE THINGS BETTER FOR LE$$. :D

I thought I would share some information:

The Piedmontese breed is the best crossbreeding alternative in the world today, because of it's superior genetics. It's the temperament, phenotype, and productivity of these cattle that make them a valuable asset in a commercial herd.

Not only are these animals docile and highly fertile, but they exibit excellent mothering insticts, ample milk yield, and longevity; often producing for greater than nine years. Calving ease is a result of the delay in the manifestation of the double-muscling, usually occuring several weeks after birth. Combined with a light bone structure this results in long slim calves. On average, the birth weight of a Piedmontese calf is 84.9 lbs (38.5 kg).

Piedmontese are known for their high feed conversion and efficiency, and were ranked first for their feed lot performance ratio by the Great Western Beef Expo in 1991. Higher than average weight gains are common, and in some studies, the Piedmontese breed achived a 4.44 lbs (2 kg) average daily weight gain.

Results from the United States Department of Agriculture's Meat Research Center's Germplasm Evaluation Program, comparing eleven breeds, report that although live weights of Piedmontese were significantly lighter than those of Angus or Herford sires, retail product weight was greater because of the higher dressing and retail product percentage. The unique heritable traits of Piedmontese are passed on in the first cross, meaning that even a 50% Piedmontese will exhibit significantly more red meat with less fat and bone. The report also indicates that Piedmontese are an excellent candidate for use as terminal sire breeds.
Read more at: http://www.pauscattle.org

Not wanting to sound snotty, but the "best crossbreeding solution" is exactly the same song that Normande and Braunvieh cattle sing. That's of the less known breeds. Of the better known breeds, Gelbvieh, limo and Simmenthal also claim the same thing.
Could it possibly be that there is no one "best crossbreeding solution"?

dun

Harbull most of the breeds out there will melt in Texas heat. Now all these salesmen are going to tell you their breed is the best Hogwash. Never hurts to put a little Bramer\Hereford\Angus in the woodpile in Texas. Go to your local salebarn and see whats ringing the bell and put that type of bull on your herd. If you need rough rugged cattle get Bramer,Brangus, or Hereford.

There are many Piedmontese breeders in southern states and these cattle do well in both hot and cold climates.
I know everyone has their preferances and favorites, but I believe that the thread was asking for input and opinions. I am not a salesman and I wasn't spewing hogwash. The fellow wanted an opinion and I offered mine.

Harbull like I said go to your local sale doubt if you find a lot of ornamental cattle. Look to your old time neighbors who have been running cattle for thirty or more years. Most of these fancy smancy breeds are to seperate cattlemen from there money. Remember its about controlling front end cost, and beef on the hoof at the salebarn.

Caustic Burno":2kbenss6 said:
Harbull like I said go to your local sale doubt if you find a lot of ornamental cattle. Look to your old time neighbors who have been running cattle for thirty or more years. Most of these fancy smancy breeds are to seperate cattlemen from there money. Remember its about controlling front end cost, and beef on the hoof at the salebarn.

Mucho mucho truth in what old Caustics been sayin. Dont fall for every sales pitch to come along. For every extra dollar you put in a animal you should get a dollar and some change back. If you didn't your just the greater fool and some smooth talking breed preacher is all to the good on the deal. Look at what sells in the ring and listen to the gray hair not the evangilists

You might look into red or white shorthorns. They do well in calving and producing great mothers. Several breeders in your area sell private treaty.

Latest posts