I need a lil settling a hay dispute

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan_42219

Reaction score
Back ground
Ok I started taking over the family farm from my grate uncle 07. in 2010 I disked the bottom land 20 acres and started digging and repairing the old clay field tile. 7 days in to doing this the previous tenet showed up while my grate uncle was drunk and struck another 5 year contract. I know this contract would not hold up in cort but I'm trying to not rock the boat. The deal went like this my uncle buys all seed and furtlizer and he puts it in and on the ground. Each year it is refurtlized and my uncle pays for it. He cuts rakes and bales the hay and he gets 50% of it. But I know he is charging double each time. (I also do hay on other farms.) but my uncle doesn't want to hear it. Well each year we should get 3 cuttings but the way he is doing it were only getting 2. (Late cuttings.) this year at 30 days late I started cutting it. It's 75% clover and it was all flat on the ground. I have a hay bine that would pick it up he doesn't. He threw a fit that I was cutting his hay and said he will rake and bale it. 3 days later he was still a no show. So I raked and baled it all. It's thick and it made 117 4x5 round bales. We have 35 head and need a lot hay each winter but the way he's been doing it each year were running out. Also to day he is 43 days late and he still hasn't showed up to do others hay befor or after our hay field. Last year he only brought us 40 bales. Well he is demanding his 50% of the hay so what is a fair ratio to give him?

Is there a written contract or is it only word of mouth and do you know if there was an agreement about when the hay should be cut and baled?
It sounds like the previous tenant is not meeting his obligations which should void the contract.

I would certainly get everything in writing for your and your family's protection. Hopefully you can convince your uncle.

Alan_42219":18ggpv7a said:
Back ground
Ok I started taking over the family farm from my grate uncle 07. in 2010 I disked the bottom land 20 acres and started digging and repairing the old clay field tile. 7 days in to doing this the previous tenet showed up while my grate uncle was drunk and struck another 5 year contract. I know this contract would not hold up in cort but I'm trying to not rock the boat. The deal went like this my uncle buys all seed and furtlizer and he puts it in and on the ground. Each year it is refurtlized and my uncle pays for it. He cuts rakes and bales the hay and he gets 50% of it. But I know he is charging double each time. (I also do hay on other farms.) but my uncle doesn't want to hear it. Well each year we should get 3 cuttings but the way he is doing it were only getting 2. (Late cuttings.) this year at 30 days late I started cutting it. It's 75% clover and it was all flat on the ground. I have a hay bine that would pick it up he doesn't. He threw a fit that I was cutting his hay and said he will rake and bale it. 3 days later he was still a no show. So I raked and baled it all. It's thick and it made 117 4x5 round bales. We have 35 head and need a lot hay each winter but the way he's been doing it each year were running out. Also to day he is 43 days late and he still hasn't showed up to do others hay befor or after our hay field. Last year he only brought us 40 bales. Well he is demanding his 50% of the hay so what is a fair ratio to give him?

Seems no contract means much to anybody these days but I'd guess that the man has a valid contract. Uncle just needs to make it a point to not conduct business while drinking.

TexasBred":lhudkb11 said:
Alan_42219":lhudkb11 said:
Back ground

Seems no contract means much to anybody these days but I'd guess that the man has a valid contract. Uncle just needs to make it a point to not conduct business while drinking.
Or better yet, maybe uncle just don't need to conduct drinking.

My uncle is 78 years old and starts drinking at 5 am. He goes threw 4 cases of beer a week and a qt and 1/2 of moonshine and everyone knows he's a drunk. That's why the old tenet showed up around
5 pm. There is no set time frame for the cuttings to be done and nothing is in writing. But how do you set a time when every year it falls on a different day? Like I said I gave him 30 days before my equipment hit the field. I will not be forced to cut my Hurd because of his laziness. But the contract would never hold up in cort because of his state of mind when it was signed (drunk). But I don't want it to go that far.

tELL HIM THE TENET YOU WILL SEE HIM IN COURT, GO AND TAKE HIS BUSINESS AWAY FROM THE NEIGHBORS AND GET SOMETHING IN WRITING FROM YOUR UNCLE THAT YOU RUN THAT FARM. NOT ROCKING THE BOAT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ARE WEAK. DO WHAT IS FAIR AND BEST FOR YOU. LOOK OUT FOR YOU NOT THE OTHER GUY.

thommoos":2xovpek7 said:
tELL HIM THE TENET YOU WILL SEE HIM IN COURT, GO AND TAKE HIS BUSINESS AWAY FROM THE NEIGHBORS AND GET SOMETHING IN WRITING FROM YOUR UNCLE THAT YOU RUN THAT FARM. NOT ROCKING THE BOAT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ARE WEAK. DO WHAT IS FAIR AND BEST FOR YOU. LOOK OUT FOR YOU NOT THE OTHER GUY.

Hard to be that persuasive when the place doesn't even belong to you. As for the old man being drunk unless you saw him drunk on the day of the lease it would be hard to go to court and expect to win unless you can give "expert" testimony. Drunk men have made a he77 of a lot of good deals through the years too.

i WOULD GET MY DONKEY AND ALL MY STUFF OFF THE DRUNK UNCLES AND CRAPPY TENNANTs PLACE AND LET THEM STEW IN THEIR OWN JUICES....

If you cannot find hay elsewhere cut down on the cowherd til you can....

Life is absolutley to short to deal with all this drama and back handed dealing....

At my age I owuld probably go to jail...if I had to put up with this crap....

If you typically get 40 bales... give him 40 bales less the amount equivalent your time for cutting, raking, baling, and don't forget supplies (fair market value for your services and supplies)

OR

If you are more generous... give him half less the amounts mentioned above...

...then get it in writing from your Uncle on a happy drunk day with no other witnesses that you run the place, and any/all deals are through you and you alone.

pdfangus":3ejje0rp said:
i WOULD GET MY DONKEY AND ALL MY STUFF OFF THE DRUNK UNCLES AND CRAPPY TENNANTs PLACE AND LET THEM STEW IN THEIR OWN JUICES....

If you cannot find hay elsewhere cut down on the cowherd til you can....

Life is absolutley to short to deal with all this drama and back handed dealing....

At my age I owuld probably go to jail...if I had to put up with this crap....

Amen, to that, I would be outa there in a New York minute!

I would have never even looked at this farm if it was not my inheritance. It's hard to walk away from 146 acres that is valued over 500,000 (lots of river property $10,000 1/2 acre lots) and about 40k in equipment but most of it I bought.

As for cattle there the only thing making any money on the farm and I don't want to cut my paycheck. I've been trying to rent or buy the farm next door so I can expand. As for getting hay else where well there would be no profit if I did that. As with last winter I was feeding old rotten hay. That's all I could find. I bought 100 bales for 5.00 each and that's all the guy had left. The tenet has all the other farms around me under contract but he's not cutting there hay either.

As far as him being drunk on the day in question. He is drunk everyday of his life. It's sad to see someone like that. He might be the reason I don't drink at all.

not trying to rain on your parade.....
not trying to be mean....
but if you can't even make the hay ......
why do you think you will get the land ????
you have already been scrod out of a lot less....

My dad has an uncle that sounds just like yours, he was drunk most everyday of his life until he was about 62, then he started going to church, quit drinking 18 years ago, and hasn't missed church 5 times since. Still a bad deal, he had the chance to do things some things most people never could, and wasted all of it.

Pdfaungs no offense taken al all and valid points. But I have the will in my position. It is 20 years old and he has never changed it.

I'm just looking for a peaceful compromise on the hay. A ratio.

I know I'm getting screwed by this drunken dealings but what he has done is done. I only have a few more years of it to put up with. If he does anymore of this type of drunkin stupid dealings ill go to court over it but he has heard my mind loud and clear. No one in there rite mind would give away there hay and then turn around and have to buy more every year.

Sounds like a cat juggling contest.....things can get complicated.

Give the guy half the hay. In exchange have him sign a paper that he stays out if the land from now on and relinquishes any prior agreements he had. Win win

Darn, I don't think I'd give him anything. He has no input in this cutting, and his negligence would have cost you the whole cutting if you hadn't done it.

Latest posts