I may have completly lost my mind but..

Help Support CattleToday:

The first 30 years of my life we kept 20-30 sows and raised their pigs. We always had pigs. But, to raise 2-3 pigs take about as much time and equipment as to raise 20. Unless I change my mind, the only reason I would ever have for raising pigs again is if I need to seal a pond to get it to hold water. In that case, I would put up wire panels around it and fatten out 50 hogs to get it to hold. Most of the older ponds in this area were made to hold by fattening out hogs in them.

It has not been that long that you could buy beef cheaper than raising it. Did everyone get rid of there cattle? :cowboy: Raising a pair of hogs does not take much time. Find a used bulk feeder and a self waterer and all you have to do is check them like your cattle. The biggest problem will be finding just a couple of feeder pigs.

Hook":35kxe8na said:
Ain't nothing wrong with wanting to raise a pig. It's the raising them on a trailer that's a bad idea.

+1 :nod:

Wire mesh panels and steel posts are still (relatively) cheap and reusable/recycleable for other projects after the hogs are gone :idea:

Don't ruin a decent trailer by trying to raise hogs in it :2cents:

skyhightree1":1rzs8rol said:
ostie":1rzs8rol said:
I'm surprised to see so many people against raising pigs on a cattle and farming forum just because it doesn't save a ton of money and it requires work. Hmmm.

Could be cause we value our time and do not want to spend it fooling with a few pigs when there is a much simpler solution. Why would I want the hassle of raising a few pigs to save a couple dollars when I can be using that time to focus on cattle that make the most money ? Hmmmm... In case you hadn't noticed its called " Cattle Today " not " Pig Today " . However my family raised hogs on a fairly large scale for a few decades though.

I'm surprise because I would expect most people on this forum to be more self-sufficient and the type to enjoy the feeling comes from raising their own food, not counting the better taste. I didn't realize it all came down to what the highest rate of return was.

90% of the block or butcher hogs sold around here at sale yards are raised on garbage and scrap and live in a shyt hole.

Personally I like to know what mine have eaten and that they were raised in a clean environment.

Grain hopper and auto water works well. I can check the welfare of my hogs quicker than I could feed 22 dogs. Just my :2cents:

Latest posts