i.m injection for joint ill

Help Support CattleToday:

cowpunk'd

Reaction score
As per vets instruction I am treating a 2 week old calf for joint ill with 4cc penicillin and 4cc trivetrin (trimethoprim and sulfadoxin) i.m once daily for 14 days. I didn't think to ask the vet if I could give both drugs through the same needle into one injection site. What do you think?

cowpunk'd":31os765t said:
As per vets instruction I am treating a 2 week old calf for joint ill with 4cc penicillin and 4cc trivetrin (trimethoprim and sulfadoxin) i.m once daily for 14 days. I didn't think to ask the vet if I could give both drugs through the same needle into one injection site. What do you think?

I wouldn't mix the two drugs without specific clearance from the vet, but don't see a problem with giving 2 shots with the same needle.

Thanks for your replys. I guess there's no way around it, 28 pokes it is :shock:

Our calf had this as well. 2 weeks of shots was tough on us. We gave the injection subq (6 cc of LA 200 everyother day for 14 days), so his new name was lumpy. If your calf is in a lot of pain, banamine worked great. He also received hydo therapy too. After 3 weeks, he is back to normal. Good luck giving all those shots.

We had a calf who had a bad case of this probably five years ago. In addition to the medication, we also fed the calf with a tube a couple times a day, early on, since the calf wasn't getting up to nurse very much. It takes a lot of dedication to make sure that you give them their medication on schedule but don't give up, these calves can be saved (though I've had some folks tell me otherwise).

Our vet also encouraged us to massage the sore knees. So whenever we handled the calf to feed it or give shots, we would also spend a few minutes rubbing the knees to promote circulation. I have no idea if it helped, but the calf eventually got better and became a mama cow in the herd.

Good luck!

It's only day 3 and it's already getting harder to give the injections, his little neck is getting sore! And he's figured out the routine is : get caught, tied and then a 1" needle poked in your neck. Then another. Ouch.

I'll bet. Poor little guy. May want to try a handful of sweetfeed or something like that to kind of counteract the bad experience of the shots.

I'm at day 12 of the 14 day treatment and I see no improvement, though he is no worse either. He flings and jerks his neck around so much that sometimes the needle slips out before I can inject the antibiotic, which means he gets another poke. He is not drinking much milk replacer, I don't know if it's because his mother is milking better now, or because he is not feeling hungry for pain reasons. He does take a few mouthfuls of grain from his mothers feed tub. She happily drinks up any leftover milk replacer, I think she will make nice milk-fed beef.

With our calf with ill joint, banamine was the key. It is a pain killer that allowed him some pain free days. He would nurse a lot better and play some when he was under the influence of this drug. The water therapy, running cold water over his joint for 5 minutes 2X a day, seemed to help as well. His limp didn't start improving until the 3rd week. Now at 6 weeks, you would never know anything was ever wrong with him.

Banamine is good stuff but IV shots are really not always easy to give for a beginner (not always for me either LOL)...especially with a small calf that is dehydrated or something. Lots of people always forget about the cheap and easy stuff...give your baby calf 2 aspirin for his pain and fever before you try banamine. Do that a couple o times a day...then switch to advil when the aspirin dont work as good..start out with one at a time..then switch to two. I promise it works and its cheaper and easier. Good luck to you

The calf is finished treatment and seems to be doing o.k - goosesteps a little with that stiff knee but is growing some and bright. Thankyou for the aspirin suggestion. Does anyone know anything about using bute (phenylbutazone)? It is for pain in dogs and horses. What would it do to a calf?

There were 2 times our vet prescribed bute for our calf. Once was when she was 2 months old and had surgery for navel ill, and one other time that I can't remember the specifics for. I looked for the bottle to see what the dosage was, but I can't locate it right now.

Latest posts