I like this bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

Lower CED than I like for heifers - he's barely above breed average; you might be OK, but I wouldn't.
PGS & MGS have good CED, but there's some BW behind him on the maternal side, top and bottom. Would be fine for cows, but there are safer choices for heifers.

He was a bull I was looking at too. Decided to not choose him for the same reason LuckyP mentioned. Just a bit low on his CE and a bit larger than I would like on his BW EPD. Might would work well but their is better CE options out there for heifers. Like the pedigree on the bull though.

Yea, I wouldn't put him on any heifers but would like to try him out on a couple cows. Flying in your opinion which sim would you put on your heifers if you used one. I aied many years ago when I had no bull. I however would just like to try it again and see how it works out. The AI guy from round here was at the barn and we talked and I may want to try another round.

Sky, This go around I'm in the process of trying to get some Duracell semen for some heifers. I've used RCR Stetson whom Select also offers, on heifers and really loved his calves all were born easily with nice phenotypes and grew well. I've always looked for double digit CE 10.0 or higher and a low BW epd usually nothing larger than a 1.5.

FlyingLSimmentals":1ozbi80d said:
Sky, This go around I'm in the process of trying to get some Duracell semen for some heifers. I've used RCR Stetson whom Select also offers, on heifers and really loved his calves all were born easily with nice phenotypes and grew well. I've always looked for double digit CE 10.0 or higher and a low BW epd usually nothing larger than a 1.5.

Thanks I am going to see what I can find.

skyhightree1":hh43eew6 said:
FS I just looked at RCR Stetson and that is the one I will probably use.

Stetson is a good one. I use Uno Mas on my heifers. I will tell you I have had ONE Stetson calf, and it is the reason I do not go back. We bought a bred heifer,in November, due in December (years ago). She calved, and almost died. Bull calf that was 120 pounds, had to get the vet out to get the calf out (this was early days before we bought a jack, and now the reason we own a jack). Heifer was paralyzed, and took two weeks to walk again. There is a thread on here somewhere about it. I am sure it was the heifer's fault, because he has great numbers, but it sure scared me!

I think you'll be pleased, I really was. I agree on Uno Mas he's coming up the ranks in the Simmental Breed as being a good one. Select also carry a few nice SimAngus Bulls if you don't have to have a purebred.

FlyingLSimmentals":b8keoemf said:
I think you'll be pleased, I really was. I agree on Uno Mas he's coming up the ranks in the Simmental Breed as being a good one. Select also carry a few nice SimAngus Bulls if you don't have to have a purebred.

No I don't have to be purebred... majority of my cows are sim angus. So many choices... So few heifers :lol:

A lot have been using United with success. The Wide Range bull looks like a nice one for heifers. Also appealed by Optimizer and Robust. Select looks like they sport a nice set of SimAngus sires. If I was selecting a Simmental or Simangus select sire bull this season for heifers my top 3 choices would be Stetson, Wide Range, Uno Mas. A few others look like they could work such as Deacon, Rookie, and the In Force bull that Ron likes. Good luck choosing, wish I could have told you I've tried them all on heifers and this one is by far the best but I haven't got that many heifers :) .

FlyingLSimmentals":2bp9y0z9 said:
A lot have been using United with success. The Wide Range bull looks like a nice one for heifers. Also appealed by Optimizer and Robust. Select looks like they sport a nice set of SimAngus sires. If I was selecting a Simmental or Simangus select sire bull this season for heifers my top 3 choices would be Stetson, Wide Range, Uno Mas. A few others look like they could work such as Deacon, Rookie, and the In Force bull that Ron likes. Good luck choosing, wish I could have told you I've tried them all on heifers and this one is by far the best but I haven't got that many heifers :) .

Thanks ;-)

FlyingLSimmentals":1rogfe5d said:

They don't present a real good picture of Rookie on their site but you gotta like his numbers.
This was my Bull sired by Rookie at 15 months.

DSC00601.JPG

DSC00596.JPG

That is the first thing the SS rep said was the pics stink, but you know they are not fluffy and puff.

I breed a Jan heifer to Optimizer, had it sexed while was out doing other things and seems to be a heifer. My son is super excited since it is his show heifer... And she herself has a white face. He is hoping to keep it. Our other jan heifer is bred to Uno Mas. Super excited about both.

skyhightree1":fc8an8ic said:
FlyingLSimmentals":fc8an8ic said:

Thanks I am going to see what I can find.

For heifers I would think the GW Robust 605Z would be one to consider.

Latest posts