I hope this isn;t considered political

Help Support CattleToday:

That was awesome Dun. I think one of the big strengths of the US in the Pacific war was logistics, their ability to keep things supplied right up to the combat area was unbelievable. I grew up in Brisbane and all around us was the remnants of US camps and airfields and the like as Brisbane was Macarthur's headquarters and the staging area for the early part of the Pacific war so I have a bit of an insight into the scale of things.
Ken

lavacarancher":2ej39d2y said:
Very interesting, Dun. Where did you find this information? Better yet, HOW did you find this info?
An old shipmate sent me the link

It doesn't mention the ship in this story but I believe my father in law was in this action aboard the aircraft carrier, USS Shangri La.

both posts were very interesting, the ships and planes, have copied both for my brother he is very interested in War stories and memorabilia.

Thanks Dun. My Dad really enjoyed the pictures and videos. He served in the Navy during WWII on the US Grant and a few different minesweeper.

Nice link dun! Thanks for sharing.

Great pictures. I always loved the look of those F4-U Corsairs, really cool planes, fold-up gull wings.

Interesting info there.

Thanks for sharing this with us Dun. My daddy served in the Navy for 21 years 19 of them were sea duty. I wish he was still with us he would love looking at those pictures. I know he was in several major sea battles, I sure wish I would have paid more attention to him when he talked about them, but back then I didn't realized just what he had gone through, I was young and stupid. I know he talked about the battle of the Coral Sea and the battle of Midway but can't remember the others. He retired when I was a year old and moved us to Pensacola where he worked on Pensacola NAS for another 20 years as a civilian. I do know he was a master chief and was in the boiler room of the ship, he told me when the bums (dad speak for bombs) started dropping he would run as fast as he could to the engine room that was where he felt the safest, he said he knew what to do when he was there he was just in the way in other areas of the ship.

Edited to add the photo of dad

gizmom