I heard a new "remedy" this weekend. LA200 in the eyelid for Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
It was suggested to me to try this for an older cow with the beginnings of pinkeye. Not sure the actual technique but the guy said it flushes the eyeball over a couple of days, so I am assuming a pocket in the eyelid and then a small opening cut or punctured to accomplish this? I was feeling a little squeamish as it was described and didn't get all the details.

Anybody ever hear of or tried this? I shipped the cow (for multiple reasons, not just the eye) and didn't try it. My last case of pinkeye was years ago and I think I used nitrofurazone powder plus LA 200 (in the normal route). though I really don't even remember. Think I might have even used one of those glue-on patches, and still have several. Of course all the glue got used on the first patch. :roll:

Yes, that's a very common method. Better watch somebody do it, that knows what they're doing, before you dive in. It's a little spendy, but I like draxxin for pinkeye. Seems to dry it up fast, with one treatment.

Bigfoot

Not new we did it many moons ago, but now medications seem to work better on pinkeye than what we use to have so haven't used the technique for years. I still get squeamish when I think about it. We would turn the eyelid then put the injection sub Q in underside of the eyelid. We used penicillin, the idea is that the medication would wash over the eye over a 24 hour period. The problem was we had to do it for several days and the animal got pretty testy about going back into the chute (not that I blamed it). At that time it was what the vet recommended, now we just give them a regular injection save us and the animal a bunch of stress.

I use Spectam pig scour medicine. I just squirt it on the eyeball. Then give them a normal shot of LA200.
when I have more than a few break with eye problems I will squirt all the animals with Spectam and it will stop it from spreading.

Years ago we used penicillin in a syringe and squirted under the eyelid and a shot of la200
I don't thing the penicillin really helped.
Lots of old remedy's like sulfa, salt, sewing eyelid shut with cotton string and so on we're used cause that's all they had
Better drugs now days

Cross-7":1h4pvkyh said:
Years ago we used penicillin in a syringe and squirted under the eyelid and a shot of la200
I don't thing the penicillin really helped.
Lots of old remedy's like sulfa, salt, sewing eyelid shut with cotton string and so on we're used cause that's all they had
Better drugs now days

That's still what our vet recommends...We also vaccinate

gizmom":1ddgj7rh said:
Bigfoot

Not new we did it many moons ago, but now medications seem to work better on pinkeye than what we use to have so haven't used the technique for years. I still get squeamish when I think about it. We would turn the eyelid then put the injection sub Q in underside of the eyelid. We used penicillin, the idea is that the medication would wash over the eye over a 24 hour period. The problem was we had to do it for several days and the animal got pretty testy about going back into the chute (not that I blamed it). At that time it was what the vet recommended, now we just give them a regular injection save us and the animal a bunch of stress.

3 CCs of penicillin in the eyelid. LA200 injection per direction on the bottle. Pink eye is cured. Been doing that for a long time. Vet told me the only LA200 was really good for was pink eye some years back. But I don't do the underside of the eye lid. Never have. Never tried. I just pinch the lid and pull it out a little holding it in a tent. Sub Q the injection as you describe. No patches. No flushing.

I have heard of using several kinds of medicines in the eyelid, can't remember what our vet uses. We vaccinate, and I try to be quick to treat pinkeye, using LA 200 sub q, in the neck. and a patch, or sometimes just leaving them in a barn for a few days after treating. It has worked pretty good, the key is treating it early.

They showed us how to do subconjuntival injections in veterinary school - it's NOT the same as just injecting into the eyelid. I did them a few times, while I was in practice... but I have some major doubts about them having any positive effect... for a number of reasons:
1.) Penicillin was the drug commonly used... probably not even effective against any strains of pinkeye, anymore.
2.) Once the needle-prick hole sealed over - within a few minutes - and the drug stopped leaking out... that 2 or 3 cc deposit of penicillin had no more effect on antibiotic levels in the tear film than if it had been injected at the other end of the cow.
Wouldn't do them now... would just treat with LA-200/300 or Draxxin, and put on a patch.
I would NOT inject LA-200 into the eyelid.

Anything that you 'squirt' in the eye will be washed away in less than 10-15 minutes with normal tear production... probably even faster in an irritated eye that's tearing excessively, like a pinkeye case.
Treating systemically with a drug like long-acting tetracycline or tulathromycin(Draxxin) that is present in the tear film at the same concentration that it achieves in blood/tissue fluids is the way to go... the eye is constantly being bathed in the antibiotic, at effective treatment levels.

Lucky_P":1q64597e said:
They showed us how to do subconjuntival injections in veterinary school - it's NOT the same as just injecting into the eyelid. I did them a few times, while I was in practice... but I have some major doubts about them having any positive effect... for a number of reasons:
1.) Penicillin was the drug commonly used... probably not even effective against any strains of pinkeye, anymore.
2.) Once the needle-prick hole sealed over - within a few minutes - and the drug stopped leaking out... that 2 or 3 cc deposit of penicillin had no more effect on antibiotic levels in the tear film than if it had been injected at the other end of the cow.
Wouldn't do them now... would just treat with LA-200/300 or Draxxin, and put on a patch.
I would NOT inject LA-200 into the eyelid.

Anything that you 'squirt' in the eye will be washed away in less than 10-15 minutes with normal tear production... probably even faster in an irritated eye that's tearing excessively, like a pinkeye case.
Treating systemically with a drug like long-acting tetracycline or tulathromycin(Draxxin) that is present in the tear film at the same concentration that it achieves in blood/tissue fluids is the way to go... the eye is constantly being bathed in the antibiotic, at effective treatment levels.

So I need to stop throwing a handful of salt at them? Just kidding

I haven't had any pickeye in years but use to have some with Holsteins. All we ever did was cut about an 8x8" square patch out of pair of old jeans and glue it over the eye. When the patch fell off the pinkeye was gone. One key is to get on it as early as possible.

Bigfoot":1y5rtjzu said:
Yes, that's a very common method. Better watch somebody do it, that knows what they're doing, before you dive in. It's a little spendy, but I like draxxin for pinkeye. Seems to dry it up fast, with one treatment.

Draxxin kicks azz. but my vet won't let me hold the bottle....

I still sometimes use 20-30cc of la300 but I'm really liking 10cc of drax, it just knocks it out.
If I can't get them up I use drax in a dart. If I can get them up I use la only if it's just starting.
I keep a gallon of iodine, put a little of that in a water bottle and fill the rest of the way with water. Make small hole in cap and i have a squirt bottle. Use that to clean the eye some. Blue jean patch and sale barn tag glue and your set.

Some good info, just wanted to thank everybody for the replies! Guess LA200 or 300 is still the best for me. And I was a little suspicious of the eyelid thing in terms of it closing up or worse having some kind of opening that would just be another irritation to the eyeball!

Grampa used a handful of salt when I was a kid and eventually went to the purple spray, anybody remember that? what the heck was it anyway? I haven't seen a pinkeye case in years - since we crossed the old Hereford cows with other bulls. Sigh.

If you think thats a 'remedy' needing quotations.. Then PB blaster to the eye, and a general shot of penicillin will blow your mind.. A lot of guys swear by it..

I assume it makes the eye water like a bugger and flushes it out faster..

2cc Penn and 1cc Dex injected into the outer layer of the eyeball. The med is then where it needs to be. I almost freaked out the first time I seen it done but once I learned how the hardest part is keeping the head still.

Latest posts