I have seen several recommendations for Spectum

Help Support CattleToday:

Elaina

Reaction score
Scour halt for pigs, to use for calves that are scouring. I strongly suspect that I have a calf that is beginning to scour. I wanted to try it, but I have called the local feed store, and both vets, and neither have it.

Where can I get it?

It's so hot here right now, I am terrified these calves are going to scour badly. Since it is so hot, and we just got them on Saturday, I am being really vigilant to stop anything in it's tracks.

Problem: I don't know the exact age of these calves. They are all between birth and two weeks.

Please let me know if I am doing the right thing, I have been searching the boards for two hours now, reading everything I can.

I am thinking of giving some scour med, some electrolytes, and some pepto, and cutting back the replacer just a bit, and seeing how that goes over. Is that overkill?

Also, if I took a picture and posted it (gross, I know), could you help me decide what KIND of scours they are?

I get spectam at the feed store...I can't understand why they don't have it where you are. Do you have a Walco? I know they have it.

I posted on your other thread, the one about immodium, the amount of spectam I personally give a calf.

Alice

Nope, we don't have a walco. I couldn't believe that no one has it. I don't know if it is because we are a tiny town, or what.

I found it online, so I am going to order some to have on hand.

The poop is a thick run, if that makes sense. Like a pudding consistency. It is a brown color, and she is still urinating, in fact, she did it while I was there.

She is still lively is ever, going after the bottle, so I don't think she is bad off, I just don't want it to GET there, know what I mean? Especially in this heat. We have warnings and advisories everywhere, with temps soaring into the upper 90's and low triple digits.

As I said in my other post, I gave her a half dose of electrolytes, and an Immodium pill.

You might try Tractor Supply. I don't remember if they have spectam or not, but I know they have probios.

Right now the calf poop isn't watery...but is it a lot? I think you are wise to stay on top of it...and thank God the baby is drinking. As long as they drink, IF they scour, you've already got a leg up.

Alice

Alice":2b48if1z said:
You might try Tractor Supply. I don't remember if they have spectam or not, but I know they have probios.

Right now the calf poop isn't watery...but is it a lot? I think you are wise to stay on top of it...and thank God the baby is drinking. As long as they drink, IF they scour, you've already got a leg up.

Alice

I will try the Tractor Supply. There is one of those about an hour away, but I could get it same day, if they have it. Is it a lot of poop? No, not what I would consider a lot. And she didn't have a movement last night after eating, so I consider that pretty good. She did this yesterday morning and this morning.

Elaina":2pt23w9y said:
Alice":2pt23w9y said:

Alice

I will try the Tractor Supply. There is one of those about an hour away, but I could get it same day, if they have it. Is it a lot of poop? No, not what I would consider a lot. And she didn't have a movement last night after eating, so I consider that pretty good. She did this yesterday morning and this morning.

You might call before you drive there. In fact, maybe you could find out if there is a vet supply or dairy supply store wherever the tractor supply store is. There might even be a feed store there that would have it.

Just keep watching the baby...and if the baby will drink it, scoured or not...give it electrolytes at least once a day while this heat wave is going on.

Good luck and let us know.

Alice

TheBullLady":t1v9mqvc said:
You may not be looking in the right place. I believe Spectam is labeled for poultry.

Not anywhere I looked, it was labeled for swine

Elaina":3txgqxdp said:
TheBullLady":3txgqxdp said:
You may not be looking in the right place. I believe Spectam is labeled for poultry.

Not anywhere I looked, it was labeled for swine

Yeah, when I go to Walco I always as for the red pig medicine. :lol:

Alice

10-20cc's of Spectam 1-2x per day. Really just depends on how bad off the calf is as to how much I give.

y'all are confusing me--
Just to be clear --

ScourHalt- is red and sold as an ORAL pig medication. It has spectinomycin in it. But is greatly watered down. Has to be what Milkmaid was reffering to for a 10-20cc 2x/day doseing.

Spectam(original product name)- was a poultry product - now it is labeled for cattle use SQ .
The active ingredient is also Spectinomycin- it is sold under lots of brand names now.
Doseage is around 4-7ml/100lb-- 3-5 days

Why would you even bother with Scourhalt on calves???
Seems like a waste of money compared to a bottle of Spectam.
I used Scourhalt on goat kids and lambs- but that was because they were so small at birth that doseing that low was hard to do safely.

I usually give 10cc or 15cc twice a day. Normally knocks out milk scours in no more than 3 doses. I really like the results.

Hello,

the method of action of the Inter-Nasal vaccine has been shown to reduce viral growth by preventing the virus from reproducing as quickly, or prevent it from binding to the proteins to replicate, somehow it interups the mode of action

This is an off label use however seems to work well

Also the injectable IGG: Quadracon (SP) also other products by another name, are great for helping imune compromised calves and may provide some protection and speed recovery, this is given one or two times by SQ injection, rather large doses but works great, not an antibiotic, but an imune system booster, like an injectable colostrum

Latest posts