I Don't Understand

Help Support CattleToday:

some one will want it for a pasture ornament , here it has to do something like feed me or produce something that will feed me
Suzanne

I wouldn't call trophy steers a big business, but there is a pretty well established market for them.

They need to feed their trophy...my neighbor has one that some days I wish I had bought a few years ago! He's a good stout dark colored bull w a nice set of horns on him! I seen him eye balling some angus across the road but I think he tends to stay home

7988896_f520.jpg

Bigfoot":32kxeunc said:
I wouldn't call trophy steers a big business, but there is a pretty well established market for them.

No disrespect intended, but what exactly is the market for a trophy steer? Who wants them and why exactly?? :???:

they look nice in front of my house. I've got a cow or two scattered around but i like the way the handful of longhorn steers look in front of my house. they dont make money, but they dont cost me much to speak in terms of upkeep either and i dont view them as any sort of investment. I've got a nice archway entering my place, that cost an awful lot more than a trailer full of trophy steers. while i concede that it could add somewhat to my property value which the trophy steers obviously won't, it was only built because we think it makes our place look nice and i like to see it. same thing with the trophy steers. ill also add, that while that wasn't a very big steer in terms of horns etc., he was pretty moderately compared to what I've seen some real big steers bring.

bball":2zg6j0xv said:
Bigfoot":2zg6j0xv said:

No disrespect intended, but what exactly is the market for a trophy steer? Who wants them and why exactly?? :???:

Same guys that want trophy wives? :pretty:

Yeah but trophy wives provide "intangible benefits" especially to us trophy husbands.
Trophy steers? I dunno--something to stick in the front pasture maybe, but an old broke down antique tractor will accomplish the same thing for me.

js1234":raigf24q said:
they look nice in front of my house. I've got a cow or two scattered around but i like the way the handful of longhorn steers look in front of my house. they dont make money, but they dont cost me much to speak in terms of upkeep either and i dont view them as any sort of investment. I've got a nice archway entering my place, that cost an awful lot more than a trailer full of trophy steers. while i concede that it could add somewhat to my property value which the trophy steers obviously won't, it was only built because we think it makes our place look nice and i like to see it. same thing with the trophy steers. ill also add, that while that wasn't a very big steer in terms of horns etc., he was pretty moderately compared to what I've seen some real big steers bring.

:???: :???: :???: If I'm gonna go to the trouble and expense of keeping a "money pit" animal in front of my house, I'm gonna stick with cats.

At least cats keep the mice down, and I don't have to open a gate to get in and out of my yard :idea: :idea: :idea:

Look at how many folks have trophy horses in their front yards. Talk about a waste of time and money. To me that's about all a longhorn would be good for.

They like them for the horns, would it not save money to butcher the thing and just hang up the horns and let a good cow eat the grass he is eating. If I wanted one for a pasture trophy it would be a longhorn cow and she would have to raise a calf every year like the other cows or she would hit the road. :2cents:

Doesn;t make any less sense then buying a 80 plus year old truck that doesn;t get driven very much

Use to have some neighbors a few miles up the road. They had several with big horns adn one with exceptionally long horns. He too was a steer. The actually went to shows adn they competed for "trophies". I guess it was longest horns or something like that. They were really proud of these things and they brought their biggest one by the house to show it to me one day (along with the trophy he had just won). Let it out of the trailer and it was as gentle as a dog. Wanted to know what I thought about it and I told them to enjoy it while they could because he was a "dead end". They had no idea what I meant. Finally explained that he was a steer....turns out he got his horns hung up in something and died. Guess it lowered the feed bill anyway.

He's probably spent. So used to having a rope thrown over his head he doesn't even flinch. This deems him useless to some.

I always find it interesting that we all spend so much time worrying about how other people "spend", or more directly "waste" their money.

Brings to mind that famous Hillary Clinton line...."What DIFFERENCE does it make???"

Just sayin'....

Oh, and yes, I'd put a longhorn steer in my pasture....long before I'd put a LH bull...

I don't worry about it at all. It's their money. They probably wouldn't approve of what I do with some of mine either. ;-)

They ran a longhorn watusi cross steer through the annual bull sale a few years ago that weighed about 900 pounds and 300 of it was horns. He was meaner than snot but he'd turn his head to make a run at the guy in the ring and a horn would catch the dirt and stop him. The guy that brought him in was sitting near me and was telling a buddy of mine that he'd been running wild on his place for a couple of years and they'd been trying to get him in but finally his horns got big enough he couldn't move to fast and they got ropes on him. As I recall he brought $3,000 and his head was the only part that made it off the sales yard.

Latest posts