I don't see an amount

Help Support CattleToday:

Truth be known, I've given a calf immodium...I've tried everything to plug up a very scoured calf. Don't think it helped, however.

Anyway, I think it would depend on the size of the calf...how big is the bottle of immodium?

How bad off is the calf?

OK, to answer your question...if it were my calf, then it would be a baby calf. And, if it were my calf, I would probably pour about half of it down it's throat. But remember, this is if it were my calf. And, knowing what I know now after my little immodium experiment, I would forget about the immodium and get some spectam and give it 20ccs right off the get go, and 10 ccs twice a day.

AND, I would electrolyte and probios the crap outta that calf...this heat will kill a calf with scours real, real quick. And keep the calf in the shade, and mist it down with water regularly.

I've assumed a lot here...haven't I?

Alice

I have given a calf Immodium in a pinch. I think it helped. I guess he weighed 100 pounds, he was real little. I gave him the dosage I would take, cause I weigh about 120 pounds. An adult dosage, anyway. I tried to get him to take Pepto mixed with his electrolytes but he turned up his nose at it. I had Immdium tablets and I ground them up.

Thanks! Yes, we have been watering down the barn that he is in, but not him. It's okay to mist him down? I gave him a dose of Electrolytes with one tablet of Immodium in it (it was tablet form) and I will go from there. I had given him a scour medication last night, but it didn't seem to be doing a whole lot.

I don't know about calves--- but
With goats I know that Vets say it can make things worse and even kill them.Somthing to do with stopping peristalic(sp) action.

Alice":1jh020vw said:
Truth be known, I've given a calf immodium...I've tried everything to plug up a very scoured calf. Don't think it helped, however.

Anyway, I think it would depend on the size of the calf...how big is the bottle of immodium?

How bad off is the calf?

OK, to answer your question...if it were my calf, then it would be a baby calf. And, if it were my calf, I would probably pour about half of it down it's throat. But remember, this is if it were my calf. And, knowing what I know now after my little immodium experiment, I would forget about the immodium and get some spectam and give it 20ccs right off the get go, and 10 ccs twice a day.

AND, I would electrolyte and probios the crap outta that calf...this heat will kill a calf with scours real, real quick. And keep the calf in the shade, and mist it down with water regularly.

I've assumed a lot here...haven't I?

Alice

Is this the probios?

Probios Bovine One
Oral Gel
Chr Hansen BioSystems
Helps establish and maintain intestinal well-being in your incoming feedlot cattle, dairy cows/calves, veal calves, goats and sheep. Dairy cows: Administer 30 gms at freshening and 15 gms 7 days post-calving; Goats and sheep- 5gms. See label for beef cattle, veal and calf dosages. Gun features a lock-pin for ease in administering 5 cc, 10 cc or 15 cc doses. Fits most large gel tubes, excluding Deliver Gels and Safe-Guard Paste.

I'll get the probios and the spectum here immediately, after what a couple of you have said about the immodium thanks for your patience!

Yes, it's perfectly fine to mist him down. Probios is a brand name for microbials. See if you can't find some the you don't have to us a caulking gun to give it.

One thing...are you keeping that calf on a concrete floor? If you are, get him off of it immediately. And, in the cooler part of the day, get him out of the barn into some fresh air. Or better yet, find a shade tree and put him under that. You can makeshift a pen pretty easily.

Alice

Alice":34izv1sy said:
Yes, it's perfectly fine to mist him down. Probios is a brand name for microbials. See if you can't find some the you don't have to us a caulking gun to give it.

One thing...are you keeping that calf on a concrete floor? If you are, get him off of it immediately. And, in the cooler part of the day, get him out of the barn into some fresh air. Or better yet, find a shade tree and put him under that. You can makeshift a pen pretty easily.

Alice

Thanks for all your suggestions! Ahh, I bet that the Microbials are like the yogurt cultures!

Yep...in a pinch we've used buttermilk, also.

Alice

Howdyjabo":297yjaps said:
I don't know about calves--- but
With goats I know that Vets say it can make things worse and even kill them.Somthing to do with stopping peristalic(sp) action.

That is interesting. I never thought of that. I would not have used it ordinarily but he was squirting straight out and fast and I didn't have a vehicle to drive right then.

Latest posts