"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!"

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Well, "Parkay" is not "Butter" and vice versa. OK. I have been real pleased from the responses (positive and negative) on this messageboard to my "soapboxing" about Texas Longhorns. Since I've been posting, there is actually some action in discussing the breed! Of course, some still don't want to use that "Four Letter Word" (Longhorn)...lol. I've been both shot at and agreed with about these cattle...makes it interesting! To me, it's a lot easier to make $1,000 on ONE Longhorn than to make $1,000 on 10 of the other breeds on the trailer. Now...that was NASTY of me! No offense, think we all need to lighten up a little sometimes. :)

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Everyone of us have different interest and markets in the catlle business, for some of us is one or various breeds for the registered stuff; in the other side in the meat business is a group of people producing a well balance high quality meat cattle and others just crossing Angus bulls with a melting pot of crossbred cows and think they are doing the correct thing and try to persuade everyone to do what they are doing , we need to resoect the opinions of everyone in this board and try to help us in the different experiences that we have had. At least that is my personal opinion.

> Well, "Parkay" is not
> "Butter" and vice versa.
> OK. I have been real pleased from
> the responses (positive and
> negative) on this messageboard to
> my "soapboxing" about
> Texas Longhorns. Since I've been
> posting, there is actually some
> action in discussing the breed! Of
> course, some still don't want to
> use that "Four Letter
> Word" (Longhorn)...lol. I've
> been both shot at and agreed with
> about these cattle...makes it
> interesting! To me, it's a lot
> easier to make $1,000 on ONE
> Longhorn than to make $1,000 on 10
> of the other breeds on the
> trailer. Now...that was NASTY of
> me! No offense, think we all need
> to lighten up a little sometimes.
> :)

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I, for one have enjoyed all of your posts. Longhorns are not one of my favorite breeds, but it was very interesting learning from you that they are very tame-able.(I had no idea) If there was a first prize for enthusiastic posters, I would have to give it to you! ....All is meant as a compliment.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I agree with the comments below. If you are successful and having fun, charge on! We have a small group of Longhorn breeders in Canada that used to have a haltered show 2 hours from here. They were quiet, well behaved and nice to see in the barn. Something different.

I give those breeders a lot of credit being able to work around the horns. It's not for me, we have polled or dehorned cattle and I like it that way. Different strokes for everyone.

> Well, "Parkay" is not
> "Butter" and vice versa.
> OK. I have been real pleased from
> the responses (positive and
> negative) on this messageboard to
> my "soapboxing" about
> Texas Longhorns. Since I've been
> posting, there is actually some
> action in discussing the breed! Of
> course, some still don't want to
> use that "Four Letter
> Word" (Longhorn)...lol. I've
> been both shot at and agreed with
> about these cattle...makes it
> interesting! To me, it's a lot
> easier to make $1,000 on ONE
> Longhorn than to make $1,000 on 10
> of the other breeds on the
> trailer. Now...that was NASTY of
> me! No offense, think we all need
> to lighten up a little sometimes.
> :)
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Cattle are about beef, milk or draft...or as least for tens of thousands of years...We in the modern World can afford to be wasteful...Did you know there are more horse in the U.S.A. today as pets than in the 1800's when they used for work. I feel the same about Longhorns, as Miniature cattle (Pets) , they make good lawn mowers, pretty things to have in your field, but that is it. If money is your argument then you win, but if greed and gultten (Pets) are a waste.....

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Agree Alf! Surprised? Yes, cattle are about beef, milk, and "work." And then, Longhorns (after they have served their "useful" purpose) can provide $$ income from colorful hides, horns and head/horn mounts, scrotum "purses", penis "canes", and hoof/leg mounts for "tables" and "lamps." We aren't into that now, but some of the very large Longhorn operations preserve these items and sell them. Not unusual for a complete "set" of these artifacts to bring a lot of $$ on the "trophy" market.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

You said it! Yes, we all need to respect the opinions and operations of others in the bovine business. We all have our nitches that we are proud of. The cattle business is like religion in a way...dozens of religious groups, sects, denominations, and all...guess we're all trying to get to the same place (where ever that is) in the personal and/or business endeavors of our lives. Some posters, i guess, can be a little sarcastic at times and think "their" operation is the only road to the afterlife. From the weekend "rancher" who robbed their savings to buy a couple of critters, to the six figure + rancher who works livestock by the semi-load or train load--we all believe our "thing" is special...and it IS to that person. Everyone is doing what's right for them at the time. And, guess we're all right.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> I disagree with alf ! the point is making money! Lord knows the 'decorative' market is profitable. I can farm because of the dabblers; custom bale hay on their hobby farms for their horses, install fences for the "pets", rent the extra ground to maintain the ag tax exemptions.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Don't go so far I know a factory in Corpus Christi, TX that manufactures chairs, tables, lamps and a whole variety of furniture and artcrafts using Longhorn horns and hides.

> Agree Alf! Surprised? Yes, cattle
> are about beef, milk, and
> "work." And then,
> Longhorns (after they have served
> their "useful" purpose)
> can provide $$ income from
> colorful hides, horns and
> head/horn mounts, scrotum
> "purses", penis
> "canes", and hoof/leg
> mounts for "tables" and
> "lamps." We aren't into
> that now, but some of the very
> large Longhorn operations preserve
> these items and sell them. Not
> unusual for a complete
> "set" of these artifacts
> to bring a lot of $$ on the
> "trophy" market.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> You said it! Yes, we all need to
> respect the opinions and
> operations of others in the bovine
> business. We all have our nitches
> that we are proud of. The cattle
> business is like religion in a
> way...dozens of religious groups,
> sects, denominations, and
> all...guess we're all trying to
> get to the same place (where ever
> that is) in the personal and/or
> business endeavors of our lives.
> Some posters, i guess, can be a
> little sarcastic at times and
> think "their" operation
> is the only road to the afterlife.
> From the weekend
> "rancher" who robbed
> their savings to buy a couple of
> critters, to the six figure +
> rancher who works livestock by the
> semi-load or train load--we all
> believe our "thing" is
> special...and it IS to that
> person. Everyone is doing what's
> right for them at the time. And,
> guess we're all right.

penis canes? are you serious?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Yep! They sell for about $35-50 each (preserved). Go to this site which is a subsidiary of Dickinson Cattle Co., in Ohio: <A HREF="http://www.head2tail.com" TARGET="_blank">www.head2tail.com</A> That is their "store" of all sorts of Longhorn serious, novelty, and tourista items. Bill

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Yep! They sell for about $35-50
> each (preserved). Go to this site
> which is a subsidiary of Dickinson
> Cattle Co., in Ohio:
> <A HREF="http://www.head2tail.com" TARGET="_blank">www.head2tail.com</A> That is their
> "store" of all sorts of
> Longhorn serious, novelty, and
> tourista items. Bill I have been listening to all the comments and arguements about what is best, one brought up the dairy cattle, a few years ago I was at our state purebred counsil meeting and a representive (who was also a beef purchasing agent of a major supermarket chain)of a beef alliance was telling what they wanted as the type of cattle and performance criteria for there branded product. What they wanted was of course black hided and holstien beef . I said that I other beef breeders have been raising and breeding for beef production and feed companies come along with a super feed program that helps allow a holstein finish faster when the holstein breed has only bred for milk production not beef. He said and I quote " we picked the holstein breed because of its purity it never bastardized the breed to get what they wanted be it milk, butterfat, protein,etc. " he also said that we have been "screwing up our gentics by cheeting and mongrulizing our purebred herds " I was totaly mad untill I realized he was right then I started to look at my breed, Hereford. more closely and find ad after ad and from top breeders also more and more brockle faced cattle calling themselves Herefords and calling it eye pigmation this to me is a far bigger problem than the old line backs. You Angus breeders don't get too cocky how many of your cattle have white on there bellies, we have really screwed up our cattle.

[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top