I believe in equal opportunities.....

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
.... so here is one for you to throw stones at.

at about 2 months old
IMG_6732-1.jpg

at 12 months old
IMG_7965.jpg

his dam
hvr0705.jpg

his sire
IMG_4841.jpg

in 2010, my 0705 cow's heifer calf is 1003.

curious to know if the sire had a hoof trim job or does he stand like that naturally - impressive if its natural.

so what are your thoughts with the black in his snout?

Ace, the bull was bred by a friend of mine and I've followed his progress from an early age, so although I can't be 100% sure I doubt if his hooves had ever been touched, he was very impressive, but for me he was just a tool and not everything went according to plan. Do you talk about the dark spots on the calf or the sire? Either way it doesn't bother me as they were DNA tested as the sire is a well known AI sire now and my cow had been tested as well last year by the World Hereford Association's random testing scheme. There are bigger things we need to worry about than a few spots or an extra patch of white.

KNERSIE":2m3c1u09 said:
Ace, the bull was bred by a friend of mine and I've followed his progress from an early age, so although I can't be 100% sure I doubt if his hooves had ever been touched, he was very impressive, but for me he was just a tool and not everything went according to plan. Do you talk about the dark spots on the calf or the sire? Either way it doesn't bother me as they were DNA tested as the sire is a well known AI sire now and my cow had been tested as well last year by the World Hereford Association's random testing scheme. There are bigger things we need to worry about than a few spots or an extra patch of white.

i agree and would love to open a can of worms there. i only mentioned it because the breeding project i've got going includes some black pigment in the snout, even traces of black eye pigment. a friend i communicate with on a regular basis believes it coincides with red pigment in the hooves and udder and he is selecting on it. i believe in breeding within traditional characteristics and it plays in the back of my mind, but if a guy really looks when givin the chance i see it quit regularly. i've moved passed that and have accepted it as part of what i am trying to do. just curious i guess.

I personally would worry about the white topline. Around here anything with a white topline gets docked hard as being a longhorn cross whether it is or isn't.
I'd also say that his dam's head is a little masculine for my taste in a cow.
I do have cows that make money that are a whole lot uglier and not many that are better looking. :D

How can you even see the cows head it is buried in tall ,luscious pasture. As as far as the white stripe it means nothing here and I highly doubt it does in Knersie's country either .

The only thing that stands out to me is that he doesn't follow through as much as your other bulls do, he doesn't seem as consistent with what you have in your herd.

I am a little surprised you used the bull with that eye pigmentation or lack there of, however the calf does have some .

cow pollinater":2cq3znep said:
I personally would worry about the white topline. Around here anything with a white topline gets docked hard as being a longhorn cross whether it is or isn't.
I'd also say that his dam's head is a little masculine for my taste in a cow.
I do have cows that make money that are a whole lot uglier and not many that are better looking. :D

You need to touch up on traditional hereford markings, with a production record such as hers I couldn't care less whether she had a longhorn head on her.

I am a little surprised you used the bull with that eye pigmentation or lack there of, however the calf does have some .

Old age is taking a toll on your eyes, Wanda the bull has full pigment the cow has full pigment the calf has goggles, what more do you want in terms of pigment?

The only thing that stands out to me is that he doesn't follow through as much as your other bulls do, he doesn't seem as consistent with what you have in your herd.

He is slightly different, but in a good way, like I said I used his sire as a tool and in this case more or less achieved my goal.

KNERSIE":2jw8rbw5 said:
You need to touch up on traditional hereford markings, with a production record such as hers I couldn't care less whether she had a longhorn head on her.

No I don't. :D I know what traditional herefords are and I also know that that a white line down the back gets a BIG discount at our sales yard regardless of how many shows our cows have won. I also know from first hand experiance that looks will trump production alot of times at sales. I don't use cattle that set a great production record if they don't look the part because I know that alot of my customers want cattle that look the part. When I sell someone a heifer, I expect her to LOOK like a heifer. If she has a big old curly roman nose, then the production record is all she has and that's not a good thing. Honestly, I'm shocked that someone who comes on here and nitpicks over other peoples' cattle pics would say that they don't care if "she had a longhorn head on her" as long as the production was there.
I'll Give you the benefit of the doubt since I don't like Herefords to begin with except as they fit into a crossbreeding program and I also don't like to judge cattle from pictures but I have a really hard time getting excited about your cattle.

That is a very pretty bull, and a very large one at that.
He is very straight from the top point of his shoulder down to his foot. It is almost a straight line. The same in the back leg. His head sits directly on his shoulders.
Chuckie

I guess I still don't see the longhorn head on that cow. Oh well.

I know what traditional herefords are and I also know that that a white line down the back gets a BIG discount at our sales yard regardless of how many shows our cows have won. I also know from first hand experiance that looks will trump production alot of times at sales. I don't use cattle that set a great production record if they don't look the part because I know that alot of my customers want cattle that look the part.

I think you're confusing yourself. In my book, which I will admit is not very long, there's a difference between "looking the part" in terms of phenotype and then in color. IMO breeding for colors solely is almost as dumb as breeding for horn length.

CPL":2fj7trfd said:
I guess I still don't see the longhorn head on that cow. Oh well.

I know what traditional herefords are and I also know that that a white line down the back gets a BIG discount at our sales yard regardless of how many shows our cows have won. I also know from first hand experiance that looks will trump production alot of times at sales. I don't use cattle that set a great production record if they don't look the part because I know that alot of my customers want cattle that look the part.

I think you're confusing yourself. In my book, which I will admit is not very long, there's a difference between "looking the part" in terms of phenotype and then in color. IMO breeding for colors solely is almost as dumb as breeding for horn length.

Christian I think its a case where a few posters on this thread knows just too much to keep quiet and not quite enough to contribute to the conversation.

You did it again Harley posted some great looking Herefords and got me drooling and dreaming again. :D ;-)

CP you just stated you don't like Herefords so why are you posting on here? So what if a white stripe get a discount in your area, it doesn't up here.
As for Harelys cattle they are some of the best I have ever seen.

It wouldn't make a difference if you liked a Hereford or not, I am open to any breed. As far as his presentation, he is a pretty red, and white; he is fat.

I have never seen a bull put together like this one before. I did not know it was possible to fit so many different angles and make them stay together. This bull is an example of what I would not want in a bull. Straight, straight, and his back and loin area to his rump, and to his tail would be perfect for a saddle.

KNERSIE"Christian I think its a case where a few posters on this thread knows just too much to keep quiet and not quite enough to contribute to the conversation.[/quote said:
So you've posted pictures of your cattle on an open forum for everyone to critique but rather than accept honest criticism of your cattle from a commercial cowmans perspective(which, in case you've forgotten, is the point of registered stock... to supply the commercial cowman.) you'd rather try to make everyone who critisizes your cattle out to be ignorant... Okay... Glad you like 'em 'cause you get to keep 'em. :mrgreen:
Now I get it. It's equal opertunity but only if we all agree with you. :nod:

cow pollinater":170f89rf said:
So you've posted pictures of your cattle on an open forum for everyone to critique but rather than accept honest criticism of your cattle from a commercial cowmans perspective(which, in case you've forgotten, is the point of registered stock... to supply the commercial cowman.) you'd rather try to make everyone who critizises your cattle out to be ignorant... Okay... Glad you like 'em 'cause you get to keep 'em. :mrgreen:
Now I get it. It's equal oportunity but only if we all agree with you. :nod:

I am not a "hereford man". I am a commercial cowman, and on a small scale too. From my perspective there is nothing wrong with these animals; when it comes to economically important phenotypical traits. Neither milk nor meat is harvested from the colour, black spots and linebacks are fine by me, and most polled herefords would look alright with a longhorn head. :2cents:

Do you have to trim his hooves? I have never seen a straight shouldered bull or cow, with an extreme straight pastern that would need a trim. They have so much pressure on the end of their toes, that they keep them worn off.

ANAZAZI":2izujgk2 said:
cow pollinater":2izujgk2 said:
So you've posted pictures of your cattle on an open forum for everyone to critique but rather than accept honest criticism of your cattle from a commercial cowmans perspective(which, in case you've forgotten, is the point of registered stock... to supply the commercial cowman.) you'd rather try to make everyone who critizises your cattle out to be ignorant... Okay... Glad you like 'em 'cause you get to keep 'em. :mrgreen:
Now I get it. It's equal oportunity but only if we all agree with you. :nod:

I am not a "hereford man". I am a commercial cowman, and on a small scale too. From my perspective there is nothing wrong with these animals; when it comes to economically important phenotypical traits. Neither milk nor meat is harvested from the colour, black spots and linebacks are fine by me, and most polled herefords would look alright with a longhorn head. :2cents:

That's fantastic. I wish it were that easy for me. Where I'm at that bull would be put into service over black heifers to make baldies. The first generation would be fine but when they get bred back to a black bull again and that white topline shows up without a full white face, they get docked... Period. From a commercial cowmans perspective I can't get excited about that bull since I'd lose money using him. Since I think??? I probably have a few more cows than you do, my risk is bigger.

Personally I think the pictures of my 2 month old angus bull look better than the picture of your two month old hereford bull. It's also easier for you to pick on my angus since he doesn't have a big fluffy coat like your hereford calf does. I hope he sheds off better than the sire does.

I'm in agreement about how straight the sire appears to be, not something I would want.

Latest posts