I am so sad. I have to share!

Help Support CattleToday:

roulettegrl67

Reaction score
Hi all. I just wanted to vent to someone/anyone on this board and maybe get some advice. I am so sad today. I was on this board a few months ago letting everyone new we got this new bull. We have been in love with this guy for over a year and his owner decided to give him to us. He was unusually sweet and friendly. Before we got a chance to move him to our property, he broke out of his pasteur to be with 5 "ladies" in the pasteur directly across the street. Less that 25 yards...lol Once he was there, the owner of the cows asked if I could keep him in there and see if he would get some pregnant. I said sure and I figured this would buy us some time to get a sturdy fence up on my property. Well this is where the sadness comes in. The woman owner of the cows had a man occasionally feed her cows and yesterday when he came to feed them my bull "Big Boy" according to this man, said he was "attacking" the truck. (Keep in mind my bull had no horns). Instead of this man throwing hay over the fence, he decided to drive his truck into the pasture and tryed to separate the cows from the bull with his truck. Why? Dumb! Anyway, he decided to take his pistol out and he shot him in the head twice, killing him!! I am so upset and ANGRY!
Our neighbor called us to let us know the bad news. My husband went there and sure enough my 3 year old "Big Boy" was laying there lifeless and all the cows were around him mooing. We called the sheriff and he took a statement but because the man was given permission to feed them, by the woman, we couldn't press charges. Of course the man who shot him couldnt give us a good reason why he shot him. He was more arrogant and defensive than anything. Not even an apology or anything. And to make matters worse, the woman who gave him permission to feed them was no where to be found. I called her 4 times today and still no call back! Is she trying to avoid me? The worse thing about this is that he could've done a few things other than kill him. He could've fired a warning shot into the air. He could have driven away, or he could have even just waited until he calmed down a little. The man never even got out of his truck. I just don't understand this. I am so sad! Is there anything I can do? Do I have a civil case here? I am also mad at the woman who gave this idiot permission to feed them. I had called her on Friday and left a message about wanting to feed all of them and she never called me back. He was more than a bull to us, he was really a wonderful, loving pet too.
Anything like this happen to anyone of you all?
Would love some feedback.
Thank you :(
Karen from Sarasota

Sorry for your loss but, would you feel better if it was your truck? Or you or your huband? Bulls aren't pets.

You sustained financial loss and I feel bad about it.

On the other hand, you are well and alive. Had you had a bull like that at your house, you may have been killed or maimed. If your bull jumped a fence to begin with, I'd say he was a problem bull. You put a bull like that in a pasture of cows who are coming in cycle, you have problems.

Most all of us hay out of our pickups or tailers. I am not about to go trying to hay cows "over the fence" with a 1200 lb round bale. Those round bales are going into cradles in the pasture. If my bull hits my truck, he's through. He is getting a one way ride to the sale barn.

I've got neighbors cows in my pasture right now. They are fence jumpers and I have been raising wires. Three neighbors around are sick of it. If any cow I have starts jumping a fence one time, they are going to the sale barn.

Think about it. Why would someone give you a bull in the first place?

The problem is the pet part. I have raised many bottle babbies, and they have become pets. They also have become T-bones on my table.
Granted the man should not have shot your bull, but his insurance company is probably very happy about it.
The really sad part is I bet nobody butcherd that bull, what a waste.

Well, I thank you for your imput. I have been looking at it with an emotional eye, so to speak, but not being a cattle breeder of any kind makes it difficult to separate my feelings from business. I do understand that might have been a sign of worse things to come with my bull, but he was left in the pasture for the sole purpose of breeding with the cows in season. I was thinking the man could have thrown a couple single bales of hay over the fence, not a 2000 lb. round bale...lol
If I was given the oppty. to feed him with my truck instead of the man, I still wouldn't of shot him even if he would've came at it. Getting back to my original question though, is there anything I can do, or should I just leave it alone? Also, in response to Novateck, yes it is a waste. No one could pick his body up in time to butcher him. We now have to bury him.

I'd be upset about it also. It's true that a bull can't be a pet...but the guy putting out the hay was an idiot. He did have options other than shooting the bull.

The cows' owner had asked you to leave the bull with her cows to try to breed them. The bull saw a threat to his herd and reacted to that threat.

Now, had the man been on foot out in the pasture and the bull went after him, I can understand the man shooting the bull, but you said the man was in the pickup. He could have driven away and told the woman she'd have to get someone else to put out the hay. Sounds like the guy was scared of cattle in the first place and overreacted.

Were it me, I might persue it a touch further. The bull was your property and it was there at the request of the neighbor, and your property was destroyed, and you now have the added expense of burying the bull. I think you have a legitimate beef, pardon the pun... :oops:

Alice

roulettegrl67":67rwg34z said:
Hi all. I just wanted to vent to someone/anyone on this board and maybe get some advice. I am so sad today. I was on this board a few months ago letting everyone new we got this new bull. We have been in love with this guy for over a year and his owner decided to give him to us. He was unusually sweet and friendly. Before we got a chance to move him to our property, he broke out of his pasteur to be with 5 "ladies" in the pasteur directly across the street. Less that 25 yards...lol Once he was there, the owner of the cows asked if I could keep him in there and see if he would get some pregnant. I said sure and I figured this would buy us some time to get a sturdy fence up on my property. Well this is where the sadness comes in. The woman owner of the cows had a man occasionally feed her cows and yesterday when he came to feed them my bull "Big Boy" according to this man, said he was "attacking" the truck. (Keep in mind my bull had no horns). Instead of this man throwing hay over the fence, he decided to drive his truck into the pasture and tryed to separate the cows from the bull with his truck. Why? Dumb! Anyway, he decided to take his pistol out and he shot him in the head twice, killing him!! I am so upset and ANGRY!
Our neighbor called us to let us know the bad news. My husband went there and sure enough my 3 year old "Big Boy" was laying there lifeless and all the cows were around him mooing. We called the sheriff and he took a statement but because the man was given permission to feed them, by the woman, we couldn't press charges. Of course the man who shot him couldnt give us a good reason why he shot him. He was more arrogant and defensive than anything. Not even an apology or anything. And to make matters worse, the woman who gave him permission to feed them was no where to be found. I called her 4 times today and still no call back! Is she trying to avoid me? The worse thing about this is that he could've done a few things other than kill him. He could've fired a warning shot into the air. He could have driven away, or he could have even just waited until he calmed down a little. The man never even got out of his truck. I just don't understand this. I am so sad! Is there anything I can do? Do I have a civil case here? I am also mad at the woman who gave this idiot permission to feed them. I had called her on Friday and left a message about wanting to feed all of them and she never called me back. He was more than a bull to us, he was really a wonderful, loving pet too.
Karen from Sarasota

This is the problem with pet owners having cattle .
There are three sides to every story yours, there's and the truth. If that bull was going through fences he was already a problem.

so sorry for your lose.but the sad truth is bulls will go off without warning.an with him turning on the truck something was wrong.an when a bull turns on a truck he needs tobe sold.i think the guy feeding was madd because the bull tore his truck up.so in turn he shot an killed him.bulls arnt pets.

Just a question...was there damage done to the guys truck? Or was the bull just making what looked to be threating passes at the truck, without making contact? Just curious, now.

Alice

If the man had a problem with your bull he should have been on the phone to you telling you to come do something about him. If the man was in no personal danger then he shouldn't have shot your bull.
Don't ever lend out your bull (even if all went well what if the cows had VD???) and don't ever get a bull (or cows for that matter) before you have proper facilities for them. Obviously the woman is avoiding you. If the man was in the position of being killed then he should shoot the bull and you take the loss thanking God the man is OK and that you never had to deal with the bull. If shooting the bull was not necessary for a person's well-being then the woman owes you a bull, as the man shouldn't have shot him. Instead he should have made you put your butt on the line to get your bull and make either you or the woman he wanted to use your bull pay for the damage on the truck.
Has it ever happened to me? No, I have never lent out a bull. Had a fence jumper once, visited the neighbours and was on the truck before the week was out. I don't care how nice they are if they are jumpers they are going to cause trouble.
Do you have a civil case? Probably, can't people sue for anything now? Of course by the time you pay a lawyer to find out it'd probably be cheaper getting a new bull.
I am really sorry this happened to you and your bull. Keep trying to contact the woman. If things happened the way you said it did then she should compensate you, good luck though, she wants to borrow someone's bull so she obviously wasn't willing to put out the expense of buying a bull in the first place. :roll:

Alice":21lm9v9c said:
Just a question...was there damage done to the guys truck? Or was the bull just making what looked to be threating passes at the truck, without making contact? Just curious, now.

Alice

I wondered the same thing Alice...

Give this lady a break! She sad pet, but the bull was out in the field doing what all cattle do. I don't think because she used the word pet for her cattle she should be treated and talked to in such a way. If it was me I would go to the shooters house and get payed in cash check or whatever I felt like taking! I think if she persued this she would be intitled to some compinsation according to the law. The whole story seems fishy.

Call my attorneys....."Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe".

They will handle this matter in short order. ;-)

auctionboy":3sxdejme said:
Give this lady a break! She sad pet, but the bull was out in the field doing what all cattle do. I don't think because she used the word pet for her cattle she should be treated and talked to in such a way. If it was me I would go to the shooters house and get payed in cash check or whatever I felt like taking! I think if she persued this she would be intitled to some compinsation according to the law. The whole story seems fishy.

She said her bull tore out of her place to go to the other not a good thing.
The bull was in another person's pasture did she have a lease agreement.
If not is her word against theres and she is mad sounds a lot like my dog wouldn't do that.

Just a word of caution before you drive to someone's house and get out puffed up like a Bantam rooster you better have six friends lined up.
A big mouth on a another mans porch is a dangerous combination.

Caustic Burno":13tcbtsk said:
auctionboy":13tcbtsk said:

She said her bull tore out of her place to go to the other not a good thing.
The bull was in another person's pasture did she have a lease agreement.
If not is her word against theres and she is mad sounds a lot like my dog wouldn't do that.

Just a word of caution before you drive to someone's house and get out puffed up like a Bantam rooster you better have six friends lined up.
A big mouth on a another mans porch is a dangerous combination.
The man was not in danger, but he shot the bull anyway. It is like if you went to someones house and there dog growled at you so you went home got a gun and shot it. I holed the shooter only accountable, I don't see how the lease would matter. As for going to the persons house I am not sure if I would do that, but who knows I would have to be furious.

roulettegrl67":2vcnk8mc said:
Hi all. I just wanted to vent to someone/anyone on this board and maybe get some advice. I am so sad today. I was on this board a few months ago letting everyone new we got this new bull. We have been in love with this guy for over a year and his owner decided to give him to us(No cost).He was unusually sweet and friendly(He'll already get in your pocket). Before we got a chance to move him to our property, he broke out of his pasteur (Fault #2 in him)to be with 5 "ladies" in the pasteur directly across the street. Less that 25 yards...lol Once he was there, the owner of the cows asked if I could keep him in there (No lease and probably no rent money so no loss) and see if he would get some pregnant. I said sure and I figured this would buy us some time to get a sturdy fence up on my property(You weren't ready to take ownership). Well this is where the sadness comes in. The woman owner of the cows had a man occasionally feed her cows and yesterday when he came to feed them my bull "Big Boy" according to this man, said he was "attacking" the truck. (Keep in mind my bull had no horns)(A polled animal can cave in a truck door just as easy). Instead of this man throwing hay over the fence, he decided to drive his truck into the pasture (I've fed square bales off the taigate more than twice like lots of folks)and tryed to separate the cows from the bull with his truck. Why? Dumb! ( Yes it was)Anyway, he decided to take his pistol out (And getting dumber)and he shot him in the head twice, killing him!! I am so upset and ANGRY!
Karen from Sarasota

I think the women won't answer your calls cause she's afraid you DO want compensation. I think it could have been handled better from day one. You might look at maybe some grief compensation from the fellow that gave his problem to someone who wasn't capable of handling it. After all he allowed you to foster emotional ties that can be priceless for over a year and then placed the responsibility of containing a possibly dangerous animal on you knowing you didn't infrastructure to do so. Setting you up for this hard lesson. It had train wreck written all over it. Let the the person in possession of the animal at the time take care of the disposal.

Karen of Sarasota,

If you come to a forum where cattlemen deal with animals routinely as a profession, please don't expect a "Fido" family pet sympathy response. This was a bull. Since he wasn't steered (castrated) he was one of the lucky top 5% or so of bulls born in the USA and lived a life way longer than most male bovines. The fact is 95% of male bovines are processed by butchers before they reach the age of 22 months.

If this animal was fence jumper, most cattlemen/women would have ensured he had been put in the 95%. As such, we would not have wound up in the situation you did.

My guess is that the land owners were ready for that bull to leave the property and made remarks to the idiot who shot him. That man was cutting the bull out from the cows in an open pasture. Most cattlemen/women know better how to handle that situation. No doubt he was an idiot.

As far as the pet thing goes, if you have a dog, cat, lamb or anything else, take care of it, on your own land. Have you priced hay lately? Your bull eats enough to feed two cows. These folks were feeding hay. They were feeding your animal at their expense and they have been sustaining a loss, which probably had been commented on to the idiot with the pistol.

I just got a call that I have 11 cows on my place right now that aren't mine. Those fence jumpers are back. I am sick of feeding them already. I am not going to put a bullet in their head. But I am going to spend an addtional 45 miles of wear and tear on my truck, and my time, taking care of a problem that the animal owner is not taking care of. In all fairness he is stretched thin right now, he has been a very good neighbor, and he will fix the problem. He just can't right this moment and I am getting very tired of his cows eating at my expense.

Auctionboy, you still don't have a clue as to what cattlemen ethics are.

Latest posts