Hurricane Florence

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
Sitting here eating lunch watching the news. All they're talking about in relations to the storm is people's homes Etc. and it dawned on me that I haven't heard one word about livestock or anything else. That got me thinking about all of our fellow producers that live in that area of the country who are going to be affected by this hurricane. The vast majority of the country never has to worry about hurricanes and things like that when it comes to their livestock. I can't imagine what I would do with everything that I have in the event of something that massive. Thoughts and prayers for everyone that will be affected by this big storm.

The way it is looking everybody on the outer banks better get to the inner banks ASAP. It is moving extremely slow and taking a path that will dump lots of water as it moves down the coast and inland. As mentioned above a lot of animals will be affected.

jltrent":3s0utpmv said:
The way it is looking everybody on the outer banks better get to the inner banks ASAP. It is moving extremely slow and taking a path that will dump lots of water as it moves down the coast and inland. As mentioned above a lot of animals will be affected.

It is moving pretty fast for a hurricane that is good. That is an oxymoron as IMO there is nothing good about one.
Pray it doesn't stall!
Remember a lot of hurricane related deaths occur after the storm has passed. Nothing is normal.
Be super careful in the cleanup lots of injuries and death then as well.
Lost a cousin in Rita cleanup.

If cattle are on the lower flood plains and hope folks have moved them to the upper flood plains by now. 30 inches of rain is a real mess.

There are several nuke plants in the bullseye. It won't be like the hurricane that past over Turkey Point in Florida. Florence is going to affect many of them. Loss of Offsite Power (LOOP) is going to render many declaring Unusual Events. Operations and Maintenance personnel cannot evacuate. They have to stay. This is not pretty.

Surprising to me, is the amount of people not taking it seriously! Where we are, at the end of May, we had our bridge washed out (at main road access to our 'hollow'), I had a water gap washed away,a few "neighbors'" had entire fencelines washed away (one guy ended up selling all his cows), there were several mudslides on the mountain, 3 people died during the rains & subsequent flash floods. And all of that was not even remotely related to a hurricane. Just a boat-load of unexpected rain within a ridiculous amount of time. Its been a very wet year here in Va, as well as parts of the Carolinas.

While I am relieved that the brunt of this thing won't be as bad in our area as had originally been expected, we're still supposed to get some heavy rains and have prepared for the worst. I'm fortunate, as I have a pasture, on high ground, that I will be utilizing. As for the coastline, 'officials' had started to (try to get) people to evacuate those coastal areas yesterday. Our local radio folks have mentioned livestock and wondered what people do about it. In other areas, some folks have been offering up a pasture here & there if people need them.

I hope & pray for the folks that are going to be affected directly by this Florence, and I hope more people take it seriously and get to safety. As for the livestock, I'm sure for those who can move them to safer grounds, they will & have and for those that are unable to, I hope their animals make it through. All I can think about is what greybeard went through with his cows.