Hurricane!

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Pray all out CT folks in Louisiana and Mississippi are safe, and that you folks in the Midwest get some of the rain you need out of this system. Also lets drop a few suggestions for the things that some of the things these folks might need, that dont always get mentioned..Ill start.
Silicon caulk and tube variety...put a bead down on your tub a few hours before you fill them with water...afterwards you can peal it off easily

Extra spark plugs for your generator and chainsaw

Make sure you have the proper adapter plugs for your generator on the 220 side.

Extra oil for generator and saw

White gas

mantels

Lots of gasoline for your vehicles in case the local gas stations are all without power after the storm.

(don't even think about joining the throng of masses evacuating unless you absolutely NEED to.)

I do have what may see a stupid question for some of you. I do not mean to sound insensitive. But why is there always such a run on the stores; Lowes, Home Depot etc??? It would seem that logic should suggest that everybody who lives along the coast would have plywood for their windows, and that same plywood would be re-used for years. Also seems all new houses would have a "hurricane closet" with enough plywood and hardware to batten the place down. I'm sure everybody here is as prepared as they can be, and on the news I'm seeing mostly city folk. But where does all that plywood go after it's used? Or is it just the media hyping things up?

I used my plywood up when I but the barn. It's on the Gabel ends. If you look inside you can see where I painted each room name and window on it. Bath1, lr2 etc

I reuse mine.. I use these items called a plylocks clip...made by a fella in Houston, so my wood has seen Rita and IKe.

Ran the diesel generator today on a test run, I can run the house with it.
Makes you appreciate your electric bill at 10 gal's a day of diesel.
Got about 300 gallon's of diesel in the tank, plenty of ammo and food.
Not worried about water as the well has generator back up.
Have plenty of chain saw's, and new led flashlight's they don't eat batteries like the old one's.
My biggest fear of a storm of this type is it stall's like a Claudette over Alvin Texas that dropped 43 inches in 24 hour's.
Claudette came in on the Tx/La border and stalled over Alvin. This one is about the right distance East to hammer us.

Ouachita":2a4pag14 said:
I do have what may see a stupid question for some of you. I do not mean to sound insensitive. But why is there always such a run on the stores; Lowes, Home Depot etc??? It would seem that logic should suggest that everybody who lives along the coast would have plywood for their windows, and that same plywood would be re-used for years. Also seems all new houses would have a "hurricane closet" with enough plywood and hardware to batten the place down. I'm sure everybody here is as prepared as they can be, and on the news I'm seeing mostly city folk. But where does all that plywood go after it's used? Or is it just the media hyping things up?

I don't know what they do with it seem's silly to buy and recut it every year.
I have sheet metal cover's that screw down over all the window's.
Not worried about te house as it is all steel, frame, siding and roof.
Engineer rated at 160 mph wind's.
Tree's are the worry here, those close to house look more like telephone pole's.
I have a guy with a bucket truck trim them every couple of year's.
Get the sail off the top reduce's the risk of falling.
House when we were framing it up.
Jun26002.jpg

houstoncutter":313gs8xk said:
Pray all out CT folks in Louisiana and Mississippi are safe,
Thanks for prayer and thanks for reminders about preparation.
I think I will probably be right in the middle or pretty close. :help: But been there before.
Hopefully this one will not be that bad. .

Ryder":1g41ogag said:
houstoncutter":1g41ogag said:
Pray all out CT folks in Louisiana and Mississippi are safe,
Thanks for prayer and thanks for reminders about preparation.
I think I will probably be right in the middle or pretty close. :help: But been there before.
Hopefully this one will not be that bad. .

You keep your head down. This is a scary one as it is a big water event. Slow moving lot's of rain with the storm surge.
It alway's amazes me what people will do around water and that is what get's so many in trouble.
You be double careful after the storm as well and constantly remind your family memebers as well. There will be many hidden traps. Accident's due to clean up and repair's skyrocket.
Wife lost her dad after Carla, I lost a cousin after Rita.

We are about as prepared as we can be. I ran the generator saturday, have plenty of gas and
oil. A bunch of food and drinks :drink: . Only thing to do now is wait.
Maybe it will not get any stronger than it is, but slowing down to 7 mph gives it more time
to strenghten. Everybody in its path please take care. Ryder take shelter and be careful.

Greg

Caustic Burno-

Is that an open design house--meaning there is no ceiling over part of the lower area?
Mine is kinda like that but not steel.
006by.jpg

011lyg.jpg

Not me HnL--I spent all my $ instead of taking out a mortgage. Figured at my age, as long as I paid the taxes each year no one could ever take my house anyway. This one isn't all that big--35 x35, and wasn't what I wanted, but was what my wife wanted. Was gonna be a log house till I found out what they cost and that I couldn't get a building permit to build one in a 100 yr flood zone. We lived in a little 1 bdr shotgun house up on the front of the property while this one was being built--livingroom measured 9'X18', with a wood burning stove in one corner. Nary a closet, and I had to build a bathroom for it. Wife nearly left me over that so I figured I better give her the house she wanted. To me, a house ain't nothin but a box ya live in anyway and you can never see more than whatever your field of vision can take in while inside, so for all I know, I could be standing in a big ol cardboard box--and would probably be just as happy.

016bw.jpg

hooknline":1wp3101v said:
Dang rich folk

Not us we saved for 35 year's to build this house cash after we sold our other's.
GB this is a side view while it was under construction you can see the steel sideing.
We lived in a 24x36 cabin for a few year's until we completed the house, Mom and Dad's old place.
Dec15006.jpg

Back view under construction.
Aug26002.jpg

We knew that from the git go hooknline.

Caustic Burno that's a nice looking place for sure and looks stout as all heck. You probably have a stronger home than most of the new builds under the new code down on the coast.
Wish I felt the same confidence in mine, but being stuck up in the air 5' doesn't inspire a lot of trust--not to mention that if the national forest ever gets burning...well, I just don't want to even think about that.

greybeard":25bauaor said:

Caustic Burno that's a nice looking place for sure and looks stout as all heck. You probably have a stronger home than most of the new builds under the new code down on the coast.
Wish I felt the same confidence in mine, but being stuck up in the air 5' doesn't inspire a lot of trust--not to mention that if the national forest ever gets burning...well, I just don't want to even think about that.

Thank's
I couldn't afford to build it today with the steel price's now.
That was 80,000 dollar's worth of steel in 2003.
After living on the coast surviving Carla, Alicia, and host of other's I can't remember.
I was tired of repairing house's and farm after a storm.

greybeard":2urrv6pk said:

I used to squirrel hunt in the San Jacinto River bottom east fork in the early 70's.
Dangest place you would have hip boot's killing cat squirrel's by the bushel basket while shooting greenhead's.
See a high spot slip a buckshot in the barrel you were fixin to see deer.