Hunting Rifle Recommendations (Whitetail Deer)

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":2nvr5iv8 said:
NECowboy":2nvr5iv8 said:
Got me a Remington 700 CDL .30-06 with Nikon Prostaff 2.5-10x50 scope. Will need to post pictures. Beautiful rifle. Scope should be decent can always get a step up down the road if I want but the rifle is a keeper!!! Thanks all for the recommendations.

Good choice. :nod: You shouldn't ever need anything more. ;-)

That was the thinking if I ever go out to Colorado elk hunting that's an option too.

NECowboy":3gfsbf9s said:
Grit what do you like about bow hunting?

The hunting part is my favorite. I haven't seen a big deer to hunt this year yet. Most of the time I scout in the rain, because you need to leave no scent behind.

True Grit Farms":13x5j6uq said:
NECowboy":13x5j6uq said:

The hunting part is my favorite. I haven't seen a big deer to hunt this year yet. Most of the time I scout in the rain, because you need to leave no scent behind.

Yeah but why bow vs rifle? I don't have the patience to wait around to get close enough to shoot with a bow and the rifle (unless I don't get a good shot and graze the animal) is usually pretty dang effective!

NECowboy":3hmipolc said:
True Grit Farms":3hmipolc said:
NECowboy":3hmipolc said:

Yeah but why bow vs rifle? I don't have the patience to wait around to get close enough to shoot with a bow and the rifle (unless I don't get a good shot and graze the animal) is usually pretty dang effective!

What part of hunting is killing? I personally get very little thrill out of killing deer anymore. Long range hunting is nothing but target practice to me. Hunting to me is being able to get deer within 30 yards of you repeatedly. Between fertilizing oak, and persimmon trees, corn feeders, and food plots, hunting deer is more like killing deer. I had the most fun hunting when my son was young and would shoot deer with his BB gun.

True Grit Farms":33qf5gps said:
[
What part of hunting is killing? I personally get very little thrill out of killing deer anymore. Long range hunting is nothing but target practice to me. Hunting to me is being able to get deer within 30 yards of you repeatedly. Between fertilizing oak, and persimmon trees, corn feeders, and food plots, hunting deer is more like killing deer. I had the most fun hunting when my son was young and would shoot deer with his BB gun.

I have a good friend who hunts deer almost all year. He uses those rubber tipped blunt arrows. They bounce right off the deer. He has had days when he shot nearly 50 deer. Hunting is the fun part. Killing is when you need the meat. My friend has a video of his sons and himself hunting Cariboo in Alaska. One of the scenes his boys stalk a bull. They peer over a rock at. One boy slowly stands up drawing his bow. Shots, you can see the arrow in flight, and it bounces off. Surprises the heck out of you. The boys got there and decided this one was too small so they shot it with a blunt. Sure makes for a good scene in the video.

Dave":1z917zf4 said:
True Grit Farms":1z917zf4 said:
[

I have a good friend who hunts deer almost all year. He uses those rubber tipped blunt arrows. They bounce right off the deer. He has had days when he shot nearly 50 deer. Hunting is the fun part. Killing is when you need the meat. My friend has a video of his sons and himself hunting Cariboo in Alaska. One of the scenes his boys stalk a bull. They peer over a rock at. One boy slowly stands up drawing his bow. Shots, you can see the arrow in flight, and it bounces off. Surprises the heck out of you. The boys got there and decided this one was too small so they shot it with a blunt. Sure makes for a good scene in the video.

Dave, we've been really lucky to spend the time we have in the woods. Some folks haven't had the pleasure of living amongst the wild animals, just the one's in the city. NECowboy seems to be new to the country life that we've lived. He should really start enjoying his time in the outdoors.

For a number of years, I had an old one piece rifle stock and fore arm with only a camera mounted on it. I hunted a lot--didn't matter what, have lots of bird and animal pics on 35mm.
Except for varmints, I haven't killed anything since late fall of '71, but I have nothing at all against those who do take game for meat or otherwise. I still find it enjoyable to read about and watch vids of, just don't do it myself.
Fish however, don't get no such a reprieve....

True Grit Farms":1wxqibxd said:
Dave":1wxqibxd said:
True Grit Farms":1wxqibxd said:
[

Dave, we've been really lucky to spend the time we have in the woods. Some folks haven't had the pleasure of living amongst the wild animals, just the one's in the city. NECowboy seems to be new to the country life that we've lived. He should really start enjoying his time in the outdoors.

Not new to country life but am to hunting. Never really had much of an interest but friend took me out for first time last year. It was alright kind of boring even til saw something could shoot then adrenaline kicked in and was kind of exciting. So yes long periods of boredom and then excitement, have hard time just sitting in stand doing nothing all weekend though with bow suppose you're more on foot and tracking etc. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Liked it enough to want to keep going year after year and buying a rifle but not enough to want to go every weekend nor could I (short deer rifle season essentially one weekend through next weekend).

greybeard":1r912uon said:
For a number of years, I had an old one piece rifle stock and fore arm with only a camera mounted on it. I hunted a lot--didn't matter what, have lots of bird and animal pics on 35mm.
Except for varmints, I haven't killed anything since late fall of '71, but I have nothing at all against those who do take game for meat or otherwise. I still find it enjoyable to read about and watch vids of, just don't do it myself.

Do you go deep sea or out on intercoastal waterway or more freshwater fishing? Guess U would have a lot of options where you live. Have loved fishing along waterway but get seasick easy so offshore a no go.

greybeard":1yjz012c said:
Freshwater and bay fishing--mostly freshwater.

Love the taste of ocean fish the best but am obviously far from an ocean now (we have mostly catfish, some walleye, bass, crappie here). What do you catch in the bays down there?

NECowboy":gntzwpf3 said:
greybeard":gntzwpf3 said:

Do you go deep sea or out on intercoastal waterway or more freshwater fishing? Guess U would have a lot of options where you live. Have loved fishing along waterway but get seasick easy so offshore a no go.

Fish the Galveston bay system for speckled trout and redfish don't care for flounder.

Get either a Marlin or Winchester 30-30 good chance through more deer have been killed with them than any other caliber.

NECowboy":1jr8ma4g said:
greybeard":1jr8ma4g said:

Love the taste of ocean fish the best but am obviously far from an ocean now (we have mostly catfish, some walleye, bass, crappie here). What do you catch in the bays down there?

I worked with a friend that grew up in Nebraska. Talked about going out on Saturday night drinking beer and eating smoked carp. I laughed at him and one day he came to work with a smoked carp that his mother had mailed to him. It was pretty good after he showed us how to break of a piece of the flesh and pull the small bones out. He said that he finally learned that a Saturday night drinking binge resulted in the hen house needing cleaned out on Sunday.

hurleyjd":f3yb12e0 said:
NECowboy":f3yb12e0 said:
greybeard":f3yb12e0 said:

I worked with a friend that grew up in Nebraska. Talked about going out on Saturday night drinking beer and eating smoked carp. I laughed at him and one day he came to work with a smoked carp that his mother had mailed to him. It was pretty good after he showed us how to break of a piece of the flesh and pull the small bones out. He said that he finally learned that a Saturday night drinking binge resulted in the hen house needing cleaned out on Sunday.

Wittgow was his last name and he grew up around Stanton Ne.