Hunting Rifle Recommendations (Whitetail Deer)

Help Support CattleToday:

I think the 270 is a good deer rifle.. Sure you can go bigger, but then why not bring out the 50 cal? Fired a few rounds from a 6.5x55.. I think that would be just fine as well. Just because it's what we have, we use a 308 on most everything

JMJ Farms":11lckg72 said:
I've got a couple ranging from a 243 to 300 Mag, but my favorite is a Thompson Center in .308. IMO, the scope is as important or maybe more important than the rifle in longer range situations. I have a Trijicon, mainly because it's an awesome low light scope. However most of the deer I kill here are under 150 yards. Killed no telling how many with a 30-30 and an old Tasco scope.

My go to rifle is a 32-40 or 30-30 here
I take longer range stuff to hunt central Texas for some reason, I still don't shoot past about 125 yards.

My grandson will be fourteen this fall. He has killed deer and elk with a 742 woodsmaster since he was 6 years old. He is pretty young and its still his go to gun of choice. So unless your a real wimp the recoil isn't that bad.

Never hunted with anything but my .06 bought 30 years ago at Otasco for $188.88...what a deal. Even had a 4x Weaver scope on it. Never have had to readjust the scope.

TexasBred":3bi176gt said:
Never hunted with anything but my .06 bought 30 years ago at Otasco for $188.88...what a deal. Even had a 4x Weaver scope on it. Never have had to readjust the scope.
I have a cheap Barska scope on my dad's old nylon 66 .22. It's just an 'ok' scope but all you have to do is breathe on it and it needs readjusted. Might have more to do with the way they did the 2 grooves on the rifle itself--not much more than 2 little indented areas 'stamped' into the receiver--nothing machined. I've killed lots of aquatic related critters with it tho, &
I bet my wife has ran 1000 rounds thru that little rifle--mostly blowing up Goliath rimfire tanerite. She's full on addicted to blowin stuff up.I ha to put an end to her stapling the stuff to wooden fence posts tho.....

kenny thomas":vpt5u1cz said:
dun":vpt5u1cz said:
Anything from a 257 Roberts through as big as you want to go. 25-06, 270, 308, 30-06, 260 Remington, 7mm 08, there are just too many to choose from. I would first find a rifle that I liked and could afford then think about caliber.
Dun, you and I may be the only ones on CT that owns a 257 Roberts. Mine is in a Ruger 77 tang safety.

Nope, there is 3 of us. Finest deer caliber IMO.
I have two of them, one is a custom that I had built a few years back, it only weighs 5lb, 5 oz without optics. It is in my truck 24/7 365.

My roberts is a an old Winchester featherweight. I also have a Martini that I had rebarreled to 6.35X57R (rimmed 257 roberts)
Since shots around here are so short I've switched to a Winchester Featherweight carbine in 250 Savage

Don't really hunt much anymore, but used a 22-250 for a while and switched to .257 Weatherby. It is fast and hits with about same force as a .270

I think a 22-250 is a good yote gun and large bird, but I think it's a little bit lightweight for game.. I do want to get one though

Nesikep":1ls5xgya said:
I think a 22-250 is a good yote gun and large bird, but I think it's a little bit lightweight for game.. I do want to get one though

Nesikep, you'd be surprised at how well a .223 does on deer. But I sure wouldn't recommend it as a deer cartridge.

Nesikep":1b0xmde7 said:

Tell ya what, go get a piece of pressure treated 6X6 and shoot it with a good constructed bullet out of a 22-250, then go look at back side of said 6X6 and get back to me.

350 yards and less, a 22-250 will handle most game just fine. Not a recomendation for elk or grizzly, but deer, antelope, etc it is just fine. Most folls just can't shoot worth a shyt and try to compensate with some big whama, jama, super cannon that they are scared to shoot anyway.

I think it matters more where you hit them than what you hit them with. I'd get something I enjoy shooting.

Red Bull Breeder":1k36oh78 said:
I don't see the need for a rifle for every job. O6 handles most jobs with ease.

If I've ever seen a post that needs deleting this is it. You really need to be more careful what you post as there are wives who sometimes read these posts. :lol2:

Started taking deer at 12 and now I'm 34 used my Marlin 30-30 during rifle season every year. This year I'm gonna try out my Ruger 77/357. For the most part within 70 yard shots is usually all I need around here to get my deer. Occasionally I'll end up field hunting where a longer range higher powered rifle would come in handy.

FlyingLSimmentals":1fgccmms said:
Started taking deer at 12 and now I'm 34 used my Marlin 30-30 during rifle season every year. This year I'm gonna try out my Ruger 77/357. For the most part within 70 yard shots is usually all I need around here to get my deer. Occasionally I'll end up field hunting where a longer range higher powered rifle would come in handy.

I too am a believer in the 30-30, but when I moved back to IN, couldn't use it here until this season(law change finally!) So I was using a 77/44. Really enjoyed that rifle, but going back to the 30-30 this fall. Very happy about it too.

I agree that shot placement is of utmost importance, and more so the smaller a caliber you are using.

a .22 will make it through a 3" piece of seasoned fir at 60 yards, which is pretty impressive, and yes, there are people who take down deer with them, but it's not the recommended use. (I've taken 2 black bears with one when it was all I had to work with)

As to the .22cf question, it all depends on who is doing the shooting. If you have extensive experience, are knowledgable on terminal ballistics, selective on your shots, a .223 or 22.250 with the right bullet is plenty lethal for whitetails.

And if you're not, it's not.

True Grit Farms":1vjcg0c3 said:
Nesikep":1vjcg0c3 said:

Nesikep, you'd be surprised at how well a .223 does on deer. But I sure wouldn't recommend it as a deer cartridge.
Depends on the size of the deer.

Latest posts