Hunting Island

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
Anybody ever been there? We are headed there on wednesday and staying for a few days. It looks nice with a lot to do around it. :banana:

Craig Miller":1i3ypdjj said:
Anybody ever been there? We are headed there on wednesday and staying for a few days. It looks nice with a lot to do around it. :banana:

Not familar with it. Where is it located Craig and what do you hunt??

TexasBred":1c3rvij5 said:
Craig Miller":1c3rvij5 said:

Not familar with it. Where is it located Craig and what do you hunt??

Must be a spring bear hunt up in Canada.

I'm familiar with the area if you are referring to the SC coast. Its pretty. If you get some Avon Skin so soft your stay will be much more pleasant cause they have scads of those "no see ums" which can make your life rather miserable.

Jogeephus":3bykwjo9 said:
I'm familiar with the area if you are referring to the SC coast. Its pretty. If you get some Avon Skin so soft your stay will be much more pleasant cause they have scads of those "no see ums" which can make your life rather miserable.
I figured you would know where is was jo. I have some Off. Maybe that will keep them away. :? Im sure there are others who have been to the area. Looks like parris island is very close.

You may meet some Geechee people while you are there. They sell some really nice reed baskets along the roads and stuff. A few even make them out of pine straw. I used to speak some Geechee/gullah but have forgotten most of it. If you find yourself at a market where there are a lot of these people look around for some peach leather. Its an old local candy they make from peaches. Its getting hard to find but if you find some you will really enjoy it.

If you are looking for a beach to go to thats not over run with people then I recommend you try this one. Not very touristy so if you looking for that then you wont like it. I did see some of the baskets Jo but wasnt prepared to drop 150 bucks on one. No peach leather. Nobody heard of it but did find a good chocolate shop called the chocolate tree in the town of Beaufort. Lots of seashells you wont find in other places where there are lots of people. We stayed on Hunting Island in the state park.

6.jpg

50.jpg

43.jpg

Shame about the peach leather. Looks like its going to go the way of so many other great local foods. I found some at the slave market in Charleston some years ago and that was the last I've seen of it. I know how to make it and make some every year. Peaches will be in soon so who knows, you might just get to try some after all.

Sounds like you had a nice peaceful vacation. Did you meet any "no see 'ums"?

Well I thought at first you were talking about the mosquitos cause I saw tons of them. Then the last day I didnt spray any off and quickly found out what they were all about. Looked like little fleas and bit like horse flies. I did ask several people about the peach leather and they didnt know what I was talking about. We meant to make the farmers market saturday morning but didnt get there until they were packing up. might could have got some there. We did hit a strawberry field though and picked a couple pounds...ok maybe more than a few.

The no see ums can be horrendous. I think it is actually a sand flea. I've had them feast on me for hours and all I could do was think of some happy place.

The baskets are pretty aren't they? Sounds like they have gotten pricey though. Did you see any made from longleaf pine needles? These are quite rare and take much more time and experience to craft. All are pretty though.

Latest posts