hunting / farm dog

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I do not even own a dog now but for years had hounds and also had Australian shepherds as a farm dog . I am thinking about another dog and would like one that would be good around my Grand baby and also be a good farm dog around my chickens, cows, mules, Llamas, etc. I have been reading and looking on line at the different kind of Cur dogs. I think if would be kind of fun to ride my mule in these creek bottoms with a cur dog that would tree Squirrels. My hearing is kind of bad so I thought a Cur would hunt in close but don't know how good they would be in the other things {stock and kids}
I think I like the smaller than the Black Mouth Curs but have even been looking at them.
any one on here know much about cur dogs I would like to hear about them
thanks KB

I had a catahoula cur once and she was pretty good around kids and she was a pretty good dog but I really didn't spend enough time with her for her to be a GOOD dog so I can't brag on her but I think she could have been a GOOD dog had I spent time with her.

Always liked black mouth cur and Russell's around the farm for varmits
The Russell and chickens don't mix if it squeaks squawks runs they are going to kill it.

I didn't know how a lab would be around chickens but there is a lot of people that like them.
As for the Russell's I use to raise them and they were a little high strung for me, sure they are not all that way but I had a female that could climb out a 6 foot fence with a top on it. I still don't know how she could do it. I could put her in the pen and as soon as I was not watching she would be out.

BRYANT":2a2uugme said:
I didn't know how a lab would be around chickens but there is a lot of people that like them.
As for the Russell's I use to raise them and they were a little high strung for me, sure they are not all that way but I had a female that could climb out a 6 foot fence with a top on it. I still don't know how she could do it. I could put her in the pen and as soon as I was not watching she would be out.
They are escape artist for sure they are not wired for a kennel.
I have owned one for 30 plus years no finer companion to hunt with and keep varmits away.
They are special big dogs in a little body.
I agree with you about the energy level takes a person that really understands the little dogs personality for both to be happy.
As far as Labs go that is one of the most commonly lead poisoned around here for killing chickens, only to be outdone by pits.

I got us an Austrian yesterday we have had several and always liked them. I found a lady that had to get rid of him because her baby was allergic to him, he is 1 year old up to date on shots, has been around kids and chickens. She sold him to me for 80.00 dollars, which I thought was a good deal , I took my grandson over to look at him to see how he did around kids and he seems to love kids. sets by us in yard and is not jumping all over us or the baby, so far think I am going to like him.

Still would like to find me a Cur to squirrel hunt with

Latest posts