howdy y'all

Help Support CattleToday:

brose12

Reaction score
Hey y'all. My names William (Bill) Rose. I'm from Hico, WV. I'm 21. My pawpaw passed away in March and I took over the farm. Currently have 1 bull, 6 cows, and 4 calves. Just took 4 to market 3 weeks ago. (1 cow w/ calf and 2 calves. I can get by doin' most of the work with fencing and all the tractor stuff, (puttin' up hay and doing the gardens.) But there are some things pawpaw never told me. Which raises my first question. With me working a full time job and having to cut 4 fields, 3 of which I did get a second cutting on. I got behind and didn't get to cut the 40 acres here at the house again. It's all broomsage now anyway. So I bushhogged it and let the cows in on it. Will they eat the broomsage on that i cut? I just have 3/4 of it cut so far but I mainly see 'em findimg grassy spots and eating that. Or will they even nose around and check under the broomsage. If your not sure about that I'll keep an eye on em and see if they poke around the broomsage and eat the undercut, which is still fairly high. My biggest concern right now is if the hay will come back good next year with all this broomsage on the ground. Which was about 4 1/2 foot tall when I cut it. Or should i rake it up in a pile and burn it. I just wanna make sure I have hay come summer as good as it was this summer. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. God Bless!

Once broomsedge gets to tge flowering stage nothing much will eat it unless they're really, really hungry. I doubt if it has much nutrition by that point anyway.

go in 2 to 3 weeks before green up and burn it,,, with that much sedge your soil is acidic id get a soil sample next spring .... probably like here,, folks hit it with nitrogen evey spring and cut it for hay taking all the nutrients and not putting em back,,, commercial nitrogen is to grass like ether to a old tractor, a great starter

Doubt they will want the cut broom. Anything coming up green, sure, including broomsedge. If you're cutting that acreage for hay you may want to consider lime.
fitz

Latest posts