Howdy. Newbie here.

Help Support CattleToday:

cackalackygirl

Reaction score
Hello there! I am a newbie here and to this whole world. Selling my cookie cutter house on .12 acres (!) and buying a 100+ year old farmhouse on 15+ acres. I'm pretty excited.

The farm already has 2 fenced pastures. I was thinking about getting one cow. This may be a silly question, but can you have just one cow, or do they need companionship? Are there any resources (other than the Extension office - I am already aware and have contacted them) that can help me? If I am literally starting from square one and know NOTHING about raising cattle, what is the best way to learn? By doing, or is there some kind of cow book that I can buy? Should I look into hiring a cow raising mentor?

PS - wanted to say that this is a hobby for me and I am not planning to make $ from it, just provide for the family some fresh, real food and possibly dairy.

:welcome: Welcome to CA!
I'm pretty much a cow newbie too--moved from city to country 3 years ago, and went from 0 to about 10 cows. If you put your location in your profile, it will help people here tailor their advice for your climate/conditions.

Conventional wisdom is that cows prefer a buddy, that it can be hard on them to be alone. They're herd animals.

I read Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle (sort of the definitive beginner's how-to book) by Heather Smith Thomas; then branched out into reading Angus Ass'n website, Cornell publications, and other related sources.

I know others will weigh in too.

Good luck with your new adventure!

Cows do better with a companion. The bst bet would be to find a mentor that is willing to work with you, other then that, find someone that needs help with their cattle and volunteer. I've never heard of the concept of hiring a mentor, that's alwasy, to me anyway, has been a roll that's taken on just to be a help and keep things safe for the owner and the animals.

I agree with u guys u definately should get that book by heather smith thomas i have it myself and it has really helped me also cattle do seem to do better if they have a companion :welcome:

That is a very good book. But keep in mind, "those that can, do. thoe that can;t, teach". Books can give you a good foundation but you have to build from there. Also, mistakes, and you'll make some, are just part of the tuition on a higher education, if you learn from them.

cackalackygirl":2kizjye8 said:
Hello there! I am a newbie here and to this whole world. Selling my cookie cutter house on .12 acres (!) and buying a 100+ year old farmhouse on 15+ acres. I'm pretty excited.

The farm already has 2 fenced pastures. I was thinking about getting one cow. This may be a silly question, but can you have just one cow, or do they need companionship? Are there any resources (other than the Extension office - I am already aware and have contacted them) that can help me? If I am literally starting from square one and know NOTHING about raising cattle, what is the best way to learn? By doing, or is there some kind of cow book that I can buy? Should I look into hiring a cow raising mentor?

PS - wanted to say that this is a hobby for me and I am not planning to make $ from it, just provide for the family some fresh, real food and possibly dairy.
Where do you live in South Carolina?

Thanks! I live in North Carolina, just outside of Raleigh.

That is a good idea, maybe to volunteer for a farmer who already has cattle and learn the ropes, so to speak.

I will wait until I have enough knowledge to take care of a few (since I need more than 1) on my own before I buy them, but I appreciate all the help. Hope it all works out! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Before you jump in too deep, learn all you can about grass and other forages.
"15+ acres in 2 pastures" doesn't really mean very much in of itself. That might support 1/2 dozen animals--might support more or even much less. I understand it's going to be a hobby, but no need making it a hobby so expensive you have to get out of it if you move in over your head. Everyone that raises ruminants, regardless of herd size, is a grass farmer 1st and livestock producer second.
Good water available on all parts? Any structures for shelter or hay storage?
Good luck with this and welcome to CT.

cackalackygirl":1hewn8d5 said:
Thanks! I live in North Carolina, just outside of Raleigh.

That is a good idea, maybe to volunteer for a farmer who already has cattle and learn the ropes, so to speak.

I will wait until I have enough knowledge to take care of a few (since I need more than 1) on my own before I buy them, but I appreciate all the help. Hope it all works out! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Welcome. Lots of good advice in these threads.

With just 15 acres, I would go the nurse cow route.

Books are good but they don't always explain the "why" part as well as a mentor can. You can spend a lot of time searching thru books and reading about things that would never pertain to you. A mentor who actually wants to help you get started would be the best recommendation. Most cattle folks in this area would be more than willing to help.

I'm pretty new here too, welcome! You said you're just outside of Raleigh, if you're in Wake County I know you don't really have a livestock/forage extension agent. I am the livestock agent in Wayne County and down here, south of Raleigh, there are some great ones!! Let me know if you need any help getting in touch with people, glad to help :)

If I was you I might start out buying a few calves around 400lbs raise them to 700-800 then sell them or if you wanted fresh meat you could fatten one and butcher it

:welcome:

You will find a wealth of experience and knowledge here, shared freely. However some don't sugar coat things at all, so don't be put off by that.

Some people keep a family milk cow successfully as a solo animal, but I'm in the camp of having 2 because they are herd animals and prefer to be with their own kind.

Glad you are doing some learning and didn't post, I just bought cattle at the sale, now how do I care for them. In that regard you are off to a great start, doing your research first.

wacocowboy":oorcpno4 said:
If I was you I might start out buying a few calves around 400lbs raise them to 700-800 then sell them or if you wanted fresh meat you could fatten one and butcher it

I would second this advice. There are some basic things to learn about cattle like behavior, how to handle and feed and water and build fences and pens and shelter, etc. Gets more complicated when you get cows that need to be bred and give birth.

I would also say the number one trait to look for when you get animals is docility. Starting with crazies might turn you off for good.

dun":1jwr34nq said:
That is a very good book. But keep in mind, "those that can, do. thoe that can;t, teach". Books can give you a good foundation but you have to build from there. Also, mistakes, and you'll make some, are just part of the tuition on a higher education, if you learn from them.

May be some truth to that, but does that mean everyone here doing the teaching has failed at doing?

And is the corollary true, "Those who can't teach, do"? Did you have to fail at teaching before you can raise cattle?

I agree with MO_Cows, As a novice with them, about the most important trait for you is docility... If they come up to you and lick you, every part of taking care of them will be less aggravating. Trust me, contrary cows can be VERY frustrating, and they are big animals... they can hurt you without trying, and if they try to, it gets serious quickly. I confess I snicker a bit when a local rich know-it-all type buys a bunch of small cows "because they're easier to handle", but doesn't look at their attitudes. It's not going to make much difference if you have 900 lbs on the end of a rope or 2000 lbs, if it doesn't want to move, you're not going to pull it anyhow.

Also, raising cattle is a heck of a commitment... it's virtually impossible to get away for a week unless you have *reliable* help (neighbors, etc) to look in on your place... Forget the idea of a reliable fence or a reliable waterer.. it seems like the moment you leave, something will fail.. just murphy's law!

And here's my cliche quote for you.. "Education is expensive, no matter where you get it"

Last but not least, Welcome to the CT.. don't let some rough edges fool you, most of us are helpful folk :)

Latest posts