How young can you trich test a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Not sure what you're getting at with the question. A person could theoretically test a day old bull calf. There's really no point in testing them prior to puberty, as virgin bulls can't get trich.

I meant to write what is the youngest age you can fertility test a bull.

As I know of, bulls should be trich tested since they are at least 9 months old and the procedure needs to be done once per year.

Newcutter said:

That is a good question, I'm interested in the answer too. I read somewhere, once the testicles reach a certain diameter they are fertile. For me i had an 8 month old get the job done once which came as a surprise.

Sheep can get it done at 2 months...and that would be most of mine, at 2 months, some are more swollen than a 4 month bull, but some bulls seem active young too, height may be their issue ?

Let me put it this way, some 2 month old lambs I cannot ring with my rings, I have been able to do every bull calf at least double that age, but if they have them both dropped, and are largish, I would bet they are fertile if trying to mount others.....so I am all ears at too what age you need to def have young bulls separated. And lets assume they can find something to climb on to oblige any willing partner :)

Newcutter said:

11 months is the youngest I've ever passed one. Plenty of bulls younger than that will be good enough to breed cows, but not high enough quality to pass a breeding soundness exam.

kenny thomas said:
Dumb question, wouldn't a buyer want a trich test to be sure it was a virgin bull especially if the bull was going across state lines?

That's how the law reads here Kenny is that virgin bulls don't have to be tested. I'm sure there was a trich test on the bull I brought in from Kansas.

Buck Randall said:
Newcutter said:

11 months is the youngest I've ever passed one. Plenty of bulls younger than that will be good enough to breed cows, but not high enough quality to pass a breeding soundness exam.

good to know

I had a laugh at my 11 month old bull breeding a 16 year old 1800 lb shorthorn cow.. he might have even succeeded, but he landed flat on his back! I was laughing pretty hard, dang, why didn't I have the video camera going!

Regarding Trich, state laws vary but it's generally mandatory that bulls 18 months or older not destined for feed lot/slaughter must test negative for Trich shortly prior to interstate shipment.
As for passing a semen test, properly managed bulls shy of 12 months are certainly capable of passing an official BSE and especially if they originate from a program that has a history of herd selection pressure for early maturity.