How young can heffers be bred?

Help Support CattleToday:

kjones

Reaction score
OK, so I'm a bit baffled by this. I have a new calf. No big deal right? The thing is the momma is only about eighteen months old. With the gestational period that would put the breeding around seven months old right? Could this be possible?

Over the years we've had a few get bred on the cow-the youngest we've ever had calve was 14 months old. Those child brides either are totally wrecked or go on the be incredibly productive cows-it seems you get either extreme. That one that calved at 14 months is 14 years old and has had a set of twins along the way also. She's just a commercial cow but werre going to flush her this year.

kjones":1yje9xvd said:
OK, so I'm a bit baffled by this. I have a new calf. No big deal right? The thing is the momma is only about eighteen months old. With the gestational period that would put the breeding around seven months old right? Could this be possible?
a heifer hitting puberty depends on her breed or cross of breeds.they can hitt puberty as young as 4 months old.sounds like your heifer got bred at 8 or 9 months old.so she matured early.

kjones":2388gnth said:
yep its possible. high fertility is something you want but need's to be managed. best keep a check on her body condition cause the next calf may be along way off . this is the problem. they loose condition fast while their still growin their self now they got a little leach sucking alot of the nutrition out of her she needs for herself

Although a heifer may be cycling that young and conceive that young doesn't mean she should be bred young. Never breed a heifer to calf younger than 24 months, that is asking for trouble.

I know mistakes do happen, it had happened to me in the past as well, lost a good heifer at 14 months that couldn't calf. Never knew she was in calve untill about three weeks before she calved.

Had one calve at 13 months. 70lb calf. Lost them both. My fault. Lesson learned the hard way. Now all of the heifers get shots when they are weaned.

Seems to me the youngest a heifer can be bred is between 7 and 14 months of age. But then this is influenced by things like level of nutrition, breed, growth rate, and heterosis.

Another good reason not to leave your bulls out with the cows year round, and to cut your bull calves before everyone goes to summer pasture - no accidents!
Glad it worked out for you - hope your heifer and calf do well.

kjones":2j0v0o8l said:
With the gestational period that would put the breeding around seven months old right? Could this be possible?

Yes it is very possible. There was a heifer in the neighbor's pasture who calved at 14 1/2 months old. The cow will never have much size to her. I have a six month old heifer riding all the other calves right now. She is ready to breed. It is best to keep them away from bulls until they are 15 months old. That will throw them calving at 24 months.

Dosent it depend on size to? I have a lil heffer that was 13 months when we ai'd her but she weighed 880# vet said because she weighed over 750 to 800 pounds she would be fine to breed.... :cboy:

ok so say you have a young one that gets bred accidentaly... what type of feed is best to keep body condition on them, High protein? and if so what form...cubes? or ?????

Billdevaul":29a8zp94 said:
ok so say you have a young one that gets bred accidentaly... what type of feed is best to keep body condition on them, High protein? and if so what form...cubes? or ?????

Lute if possible, if not, then yes they need to stay on a high protein feed to grow frame.

Billdevaul":29a8zp94 said:
Dosent it depend on size to? I have a lil heffer that was 13 months when we ai'd her but she weighed 880# vet said because she weighed over 750 to 800 pounds she would be fine to breed....:cboy:

It does depend on size too. I routinely breed mine at 12-13 months so long as they're large enough, and end up with 1200-1400lb springers.

yes Lutalyse will cause her to abort, that is exactly what you want when the heifer is really young. I wouldn't use Lute post 100 days in gestation, but hear of many people that do.

Should you find one that is bred and its too late to safely abort with Lute, your best bet would be to feed her hard with a high proteien feed till about 7 months to get all the growth possible out of her and then feed just hay the last two months to prevent excessive foetal growth in the hope to keep the calf smaller. Make sure you've got the chains, lubrication, antibiotics, gloves and colostrum handy come calving time. A bottle of Calcitad wouldn't hurt either.

Heifers should be 80% of their mature body weight when they are bred. For some, that will mean breeding at 15 months. For some, that will be 17-18 months. For some, it will be 20 months. Due to marketing demands, she should be at that weight and confirmed bred by the time she is 23 months, or sell her. 24 months is the cut off for feeding to slaughter programs.

Dusty Britches":2lf0tswc said:
Heifers should be 80% of their mature body weight when they are bred. For some, that will mean breeding at 15 months. For some, that will be 17-18 months. For some, it will be 20 months. Due to marketing demands, she should be at that weight and confirmed bred by the time she is 23 months, or sell her. 24 months is the cut off for feeding to slaughter programs.

Where did the 80% come from? Everything I've seen calls for 65% and that's what we've alwasy figured on. In truth we've never paid any attention to weight all that much. If she's 14-15 months and cycling regularly that's all I care about.

dun

If her mature weight is 1000 pounds, shouldn't she weigh 800 at breeding? Oh, I'm sorry, I haven't slept in a few days - I was thinking 8% calf weight at birth. My bad.

8 - 80 what's the difference... ;-)

Latest posts