How would you place this class of feedlot steers?

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
If any of you are on Facebook, be sure to "Like" Drive. It is a good page with interesting posts.

Mark That Card. What would you place this class of feedlot steers?

154976_548987528462641_61627302_n.jpg

scroll down for placing:
65105_549152571779470_1842923141_n.jpg

Official placing and results are courtesy of Colorado State University.

I like the feedlot steers 3-1-4-2. Although there's a pair of practical and compositionally correct steers that have to sort up, the bob-tailed steer's added mass and stoutness is sure hard beat. When the stylish 3 steer is compared to 1 he is undoubtedly the widest based and boldest in his rib shape and I feel this is why he squares up with the most massive top width. Then from behind he is the stoutest, couple this with his leaner but still correct finish and I'd expect him to end with the more desirable yield grade. Now I know I left the most practical and biggest bodied steer in second, and I'd say the real easy feeding steer is a sure bet for choice. But I thought both of the black steers would grade in this top pair and 1 is just more disappointing from behind.

By no means is he flat and light muscled. I still feel he is a stout steer in his own right. For me though, the fact that he is more ideally finished has to keep him over 4 in the middle. Bottom line, he'll be more profitable if marketed on dual based grid. Sure, the 4 steer offers plenty of pay weight but I was hesitant of the big chested steer's composition from the start. He's undeniably the fattest and plainest muscled, consequently he is a definite yield grade problem.

Because of this, the bottom sets up to be the closest between a pair of red cattle that are both composition problems but for different reasons. 4 is an easier feeding steer that is bigger bodied and just appears more likely to grade. Plus he has a definite weight advantage over 2. I can see that the other red steer is more expressive from behind and because he is leaner he should be more desirable in yield grade. But this leanness is part of his problem as the hard doing steer is the shallowest ribbed, barest finished and least likely to grade. The poorest structured steer deserves to be fourth.

Thank You

Show or meat I think it would have gone the same way. The 3 steer has allot going for him, he has mass, muscle, finish and is very balanced, the 1 steer is good but he does not have the eye appeal of the 3 steer, but can hold his own, the 4 Steer has power he just is way over done for me, last but not least the 2 steer is tightly wound, lacks cover and looks straight on both ends, a hard doing type of calf.

I don't see the data for the two steaks on the right either. Don't see much of the steers in the upper photo.

The one fat is clearly over finished. However, I'd eat any of those steaks and I am sure I have eaten much worse in my life.

chippie":vlmv9e1l said:
The entire pic will not show on a phone. You can see it on a computer monitor.

I'm trying to see it on a computer monitor and can't. No phone on this end.

Got a link?

looks like the breeder of those angus bull's, did some intense culling... they look like they would have made a better bull, then alot you see nowdays...

chippie":316m540s said:
hope this works.

Congratulations. I can see it all now.

Nothing graded prime. I have some suggestions but there's no way of knowing. Don't know what they were fed.

To me #'s 1 & 3 pretty close, # 2 needs another 30 days on full feed,# 4 went about 30 days too long on feed.

ohiobeef":228aauuw said:
To me #'s 1 & 3 are pretty close, # 2 needs another 30 days on full feed,# 4 went about 30 days too long on feed, & didn't have as good of genetics as the others.

1982vett":3s2xrhl5 said:
Hmm...If I were to pick one of the steaks off a store shelf I'd pick #2...........

Why would you pick the one with the worst quality grade?

4 has the best marbling

3waycross":1hopl8wi said:
1982vett":1hopl8wi said:
Hmm...If I were to pick one of the steaks off a store shelf I'd pick #2...........

Why would you pick the one with the worst quality grade?

4 has the best marbling
I get along just fine with lean meat so the extra $ for a better quality isn't worth it to me.... :2cents:

Anytime you cannot see the whole picture - just click "control" and minus "-" or plus "+" at the same time. It will increase or decrease your view.
If I was able to pick a steer to put in my freezer, and had all the carcass data to pick - I would pic a Prime - 2 - with ribeye about 15" - and no older than 14 months of age.
And, btw, I actually placed them correctly without cheating :banana: Had to throw that in, because I'm not a "steer" person but I work with the juniors.

Latest posts