How to read EPD numbers

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile

Reaction score
Rookie Question:

Where can I find a key or description of how to read the numbers on registration papers?

I particularly don't understand the BW Scores.

Thanks
Jon Davis
SW Missouri

Go to the website for the particular breed that the papers are for and they'll have detailed, sometimes too detailed, information on everything concerning EPDs and registration data

dun

dun":3fhmxox1 said:
Go to the website for the particular breed that the papers are for and they'll have detailed, sometimes too detailed, information on everything concerning EPDs and registration data

dun

Thanks; I also found a post just after this one that discusses some of these issues.

Jon

MissouriExile":sjdwyjvx said:
dun":sjdwyjvx said:

dun

Thanks; I also found a post just after this one that discusses some of these issues.

Jon

The thing to bear in mind is that each breed has different basis for what is the breed average for any given trait and the same heading, i.e. CED may mean different things for different breed associations.

MissouriExile":2paao00t said:
dun":2paao00t said:

dun

Jon
Jon -

I approve of your reading the discussions regarding EPD's on these Boards, however it is imperative that you have a certain level of understanding what the subject matter pertains to before you can be comfortable with the different opinions of other people regarding all the material.

As dun said, each Association has a little different interpretation of some of the terms and traits. But if you will log onto "Dogpile" or "Google" or some of the other SEARCH engines and type in the Search box "Expected Progeny Differences" or "EPD's" you will find a tremendous amount of information. Take it slow and easy, and get to an understanding of what they are, AND what they mean! The American Angus Association has some fine bits of information on them. You can access the American Angus Association (or almost any OTHER breed association) by clicking on "Associations" on the green pane which appears on the left side of the CattleToday Front Page. The Red Angus Association also has good info.

Good hunting. I also suggest that you order some catalogs of some of the large Registered Beef Cattle Sales around the country and study their sale lots and comments under the pedigrees AFTER you begin to understand what they all mean!

DOC HARRIS