How to keep sheep from eating cows grain?

Help Support CattleToday:

edukeusa

Reaction score
I have 2 cows that go up to a shed and eat grain that I put out every morning, and I also have 5 sheep in the same pasture, that want to eat the grain, so they usually push the cows out of the way, and eat the grain that they dont need. Is there anyway to keeep the sheeps from eating cows grain out of their trough? I've tried raising the trough, but the sheep sut jump up to it and eat.

Either you have some really small cows or some really big sheep. My cows would butt a sheep over a fence if it was trying to get its feed.

2 ways. How big is the shed? Is it closed on 3 sides and open on one side? Get a couple of cattle panels if you don't want to spend alot of money, and when you call the cows up for grain, if they go in first, shut the panels and feed the sheep a handful outside, or if the sheep shove their way in first, close them in and feed the cows outside the shed. You obviously are going to have to physically separate them in some way.

Maybe put 'V' shaped dividers on the raised up feeders? Cows will have to raise head up and then down into trough but will be too small on bottom for adult sheep to squeeze through.

Just sit down with them one Saturday morning and tell them how it's going to be. Then go to digging up dirt on the sheep to find some and force them to back off. Tell them if they don't quit you gonna take'em to court. Personally I think the separation idea is the best idea because of you keep on the sheep might call it Russian meddling. Just a little humor, I have and still have this problem with goats but the goats fight one another. I just separate in different catch pens and feed. I finally now have my cows and goats separated. Somethings are just not workable with out separating. IMO

We have to house them separately here. Sheep can fit into creep feeders, too. The copper content for beef grain can kill sheep. They should have separate minerals as well as feed. There is a way to rotate pastures between sheep and cattle, depending on your area.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
OP has never responded back.
Yeah, another of those one time wonders asking questions that they really don't want any answers to. Then when they do answer back, they get P.O.ed because some of us joke about it some.

At least way back when the "girl" wrote about the orphan calf needing to be raised, and we all figured out it wasn't getting milk replacer but some sort of mineral, got her straightened out on it, she kept us up to date on "Miracle" and how she was doing. Didn't mind trying to help because she really did appreciate it. Wonder how "Miracle" is doing now and if she became a part of the herd or wound up getting shipped off?

This is normal on forums....regulars should just have some fun....why not, if they get all wound up, then you just have to accept the extra comedy value provided....lol

Maybe the sheep that intimidated the cows were actually zombie sheep. Maybe the OP is no more... :hide:

Latest posts