How to keep dogs home

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowgirl, excellent videos! Thanks for sharing.
My dogs are only out with us. Otherwise their in the back yard or in the house. My place is on a very busy street, so the driveway is even gated. Dogs are double fenced in. Our labs aren't as tenacious about getting out, unless it's just to get to us. When out in the pastures with me, their only interested in playing in the water ditches or eating poop! ;-) The cows cured them real quick of wanting anything to do with them. :lol:
My Boston Terrior is a whole other story! He is kept with me or in the house 24/7. But he's not really a dog. :D

I hate people who dump dogs if you don't want it find a new home or kill it yourself. When they get dumped they either starve to death or get shot. I don't know if people think country folks want a million dogs and take in all strays or if they think these dogs go wild like coyotes and survive both are bs. The next group is people who let their dogs roam had a guy tell me his dogs had free range to roam keep your dog at home I don't want it I have my own. Free range dogs use to not be a problem until we had big city people moving out here buying hobby and weekend ranches and they adopt all the strays and let them just run around. Those are two groups who make me mad. I keep my dogs on my place why don't you.

wacocowboy":lrf6wfbt said:
I hate people who dump dogs if you don't want it find a new home or kill it yourself. When they get dumped they either starve to death or get shot. I don't know if people think country folks want a million dogs and take in all strays or if they think these dogs go wild like coyotes and survive both are bs. The next group is people who let their dogs roam had a guy tell me his dogs had free range to roam keep your dog at home I don't want it I have my own. Free range dogs use to not be a problem until we had big city people moving out here buying hobby and weekend ranches and they adopt all the strays and let them just run around. Those are two groups who make me mad. I keep my dogs on my place why don't you.
I dont understand what i've done to make people think, after posting a video to show how i keep my dogs in the yard, that several of you accuse me of letting my dogs roam the countryside. I posted this video review of a great product to help people who want to keep their dogs home and easy fast way to do it. Not only does it keep them at home, but it works on even the hardest head dogs that would either dig under or climb over fences. So either you guys just arent looking at what i've written and just want to dog, pun intended, on me. Or you cant read.
BTW, i've never had the opportunity to pick my own dogs, we've taken in dumped dogs.

cowgirl8":hwecmohf said:
wacocowboy":hwecmohf said:
I dont understand what i've done to make people think, after posting a video to show how i keep my dogs in the yard, that several of you accuse me of letting my dogs roam the countryside. I posted this video review of a great product to help people who want to keep their dogs home and easy fast way to do it. Not only does it keep them at home, but it works on even the hardest head dogs that would either dig under or climb over fences. So either you guys just arent looking at what i've written and just want to dog, pun intended, on me. Or you cant read.
BTW, i've never had the opportunity to pick my own dogs, we've taken in dumped dogs.

If you don't dump or let your dogs roam then my post has nothing to do with you so get off your high horse and chill. Just because a message is posted on a topic you opened doesn't mean it is about you or your op sometimes topics take on a life of there own and you just got to go with the flow.

wacocowboy":2pdnrbo9 said:
Maybe you should read your post and see if they seem to go with the flow or seem to be directed at the OP or even the topic of pet containment with the wireless. Had absolutely nothing to do with dumped dogs, it was about how good it works keeping dogs in.. I think you just read the few post your friend wrote and took it as an opportunity to jump in and get a bite in. I dont think you even read the first page, you wanted to think like Caustic Burno did and lash out at me for some other imaginary reason you guys seem to like to do.

I read the entire thing. I have hated dog dumpers and people who let dogs roam long before I got on here so CB had nothing to do with my thinking. Like I said if you don't dump dogs or let them roam it has nothing to do with you. When I say "You" I am speaking in general.

Caustic Burno":1ibzqsd3 said:
We have quite a few dog owners just like you Cowgirl around here and they wonder why their dogs don't come
home. You can call it whatever you want freedom you name it. I call it irresponsible ownership.
Dogs can get in enough trouble supervised much less unsupervised. Maybe I just value my dogs more.
Nope, not buying it. You read the first post on this page and jumped in. The original post, and the first page have nothing to do with dumped dogs. Good try though.

cowgirl8":2d0f2igx said:
I've had many dogs over the years and have only had a few that didnt roam. All were spayed and neutered, different breeds. i think the main thing to keep them home, if not using a electric collar, is not letting any other dogs show them they can roam. If they arent kenneled, its hard to keep them home if they know they cant leave. We live away from so many people, our dogs just roamed our place and came home before the electric system. My problem i had was that we usually have cow type dogs and they love chasing things. I did not want another run over by a car. They can hear someone coming down our road a long time before they pass the front of our place, so it gives our dogs time to get down there. The last one run over couldnt stop when she got to the road and skid right under the UPS truck. She was at my front door seconds before it happened. I was shocked when the driver came up to the house and was very sad to see me bouncing out thinking someone sent me a package. He instead had to tell me my dog was dead on the road... :cry2:
I went to my daughters house and she met me before i got off my 4wheeler. She said, "Dont touch any of the dogs, they smell." They obviously found something dead. Her dogs wander. Was out checking cows and found where she got the smell. Buried a cow here months ago. She's burrowed into the body cavity and has been spelunking...ugh

You think that is where the idea came from.

You highlighted the important part in blue. Our closest neighbor is about 2 miles away. We live smack dab in the middle of our 2600 acres and our kids are dotted close around on the ranch. The dog in the picture is in our backyard of sorts, in our cow graveyard which is miles from anyone who isnt a resident on our ranch. We own both sides of the road for about 3 miles and our only traffic is the mail lady and UPS. Our dogs never got on the road unless they hear the UPS guy and they can hear him as soon as he turns off the paved road 1 1/2 miles away. If my dogs go 1/10 of a mile down our drive to chase the UPS guy, they are still on our place. If they wander across the road, they are still on our place. If they wander out in the pasture, and even into the next pasture or the next or the next, they are still on our place. I made the suggestion that if a dog wanders they usually learn it from another dog. Nothing on this comment says i dump dogs. This thread was about keeping dogs in, and should have stayed that way without being negative.
Didnt you guys learn anything your mother told you. "If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all."

It is not uncommon for a dog to roam a 5 mile radius from home.
Apparently you don't understand how far a cannie can travel in a
short amount of time. Maybe the UPS dog didn't understand how far it was to the road.

Caustic Burno":2b6olcgc said:
It is not uncommon for a dog to roam a 5 mile radius from home.
Apparently you don't understand how far a cannie can travel in a
short amount of time. Maybe the UPS dog didn't understand how far it was to the road.
Please guys, i dont dump dogs, my dogs dont wander the countryside, let it go.

Latest posts