How to keep dogs home

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxflhbtn ... ol&index=2
If you have cow dogs, this is the best way to keep them at the house and out of trouble. I was tired of picking up my dogs off the road after being run over. These are my two dogs. Neither are worked on cows. But if they were left loose, they'd run cows, chase cars, wander. With this system, its a problem i'm not bothered with anymore.

I have one and its great. Till............. the dog learns to go to the beep spot and run the battery out :)

Most of the time my dogs battery is dead. It takes about 2ish weeks for them to finally go outside their bounds. The aussie's hair will interfere with it when it gets really thick so if i see her testing it i have to adjust it so that the prongs touch her skin.
The UPS guy took out a sweet dog of mine and that was the last straw. I was standing at my door and she followed me there. I went inside and no more than 2-3 minutes later the UPS guy drives up our road. Thinking he had a package for me i ran outside all excited. That was not what i got, :cry: . At least he told me he hit her. I never again want to walk all the way to the road to drag another dog off. ugh...

I put in Invisible Fence, they trained the dogs for me. love it. It was a bit costly up front but I have 3 dogs (2 boxers and a boarder collie) that can run in the 3 acers we did all they want and don't have to worry about traffic going by, just the people that feel they need to pull in the drive way to fast.

chorewife":2otuejh4 said:
I put in Invisible Fence, they trained the dogs for me. love it. It was a bit costly up front but I have 3 dogs (2 boxers and a boarder collie) that can run in the 3 acers we did all they want and don't have to worry about traffic going by, just the people that feel they need to pull in the drive way to fast.
I one day might do the invisible fence just so that the dogs can poop elsewhere. They can get outside the yard within their boundary behind the house and poop there sometimes, maybe it will become habit. We have one dog who does not wear a collar. He's old and causes no problems, he's too old to chase cars or cows and really never did so there was no point in making him wear one. He poops outside the yard on his own. Maybe one day the other 2 will catch on.

dieselbeef":3ptbnpku said:
had that for yrs..got 5 ac inside it..dog never gets out
Wow, you ran a wire underground around 5 acres? Dang.... I'm way too lazy for that. The unit we have is wireless. Another great thing about the wireless one is you can take it with you. If you like taking your dog camping and there is electricity, you can turn the dial down and keep your dog in a very small spot like a camping spot or turn it up and give it lots of room..

I had a man that lived about a 1/2 from me that his male cow dog was always coming down for a visit to my coondogs and I sure did not want any pups from him so I just got him up and used one of them little green bands on him and in a few days he had ho more of that roaming desire.

Roaming is not a problem.
If you leave the dog unsupervised you are the problem it's a dog.
Roamers get inoculated cures them every time.
Mine get spayed and are kenneled when not with me.
I don't believe in my neighbors having to put up with crap from my dog.
A dog unsupervised or restrained will travel 10 or 15 miles a night to get into Shyt and be
laying on the porch in the morning. You are not changing the wiring on the dogs brain.

Some of the absolute sorriest people on earth are a dog owner.
I get so sick of having to take care of dumped dogs by people that should be dumped.
Have a bulldog puppy on the back porch right now that someone threw out, came up to me in the
pasture yesterday about half dead maybe 8 weeks old. If I can't find him a home in the next few days won't be good.

Cut there balls off and make them fear you, and they will lose a lot of there roaming spirit.
Note I said fear, not scared to death of ya.

sim.-ang.king":3itfol8p said:
Cut there balls off and make them fear you, and they will lose a lot of there roaming spirit.
Note I said fear, not scared to death of ya.

The only thing I will own is a spayed female.
My dogs are trained and kenneled.
Neighbor had a Border Collie I told wasn't going to come home again
if I caught in the trash barrel again.
He cut him stopped all that roaming.

I've had many dogs over the years and have only had a few that didnt roam. All were spayed and neutered, different breeds. i think the main thing to keep them home, if not using a electric collar, is not letting any other dogs show them they can roam. If they arent kenneled, its hard to keep them home if they know they cant leave. We live away from so many people, our dogs just roamed our place and came home before the electric system. My problem i had was that we usually have cow type dogs and they love chasing things. I did not want another run over by a car. They can hear someone coming down our road a long time before they pass the front of our place, so it gives our dogs time to get down there. The last one run over couldnt stop when she got to the road and skid right under the UPS truck. She was at my front door seconds before it happened. I was shocked when the driver came up to the house and was very sad to see me bouncing out thinking someone sent me a package. He instead had to tell me my dog was dead on the road... :cry2:
I went to my daughters house and she met me before i got off my 4wheeler. She said, "Dont touch any of the dogs, they smell." They obviously found something dead. Her dogs wander. Was out checking cows and found where she got the smell. Buried a cow here months ago. She's burrowed into the body cavity and has been spelunking...ugh

We have quite a few dog owners just like you Cowgirl around here and they wonder why their dogs don't come
home. You can call it whatever you want freedom you name it. I call it irresponsible ownership.
Dogs can get in enough trouble supervised much less unsupervised. Maybe I just value my dogs more.

Caustic Burno":1yl2vown said:
We have quite a few dog owners just like you Cowgirl around here and they wonder why their dogs don't come
home. You can call it whatever you want freedom you name it. I call it irresponsible ownership.
Dogs can get in enough trouble supervised much less unsupervised. Maybe I just value my dogs more.
I dont understand, i keep my dogs in, thus the reason i posted the video review. Those are my dogs in the video and they are kept in electronically. The last picture i posted is my daughters dog. My daughter is a married adult and lives about a mile from me. I wished she kept her dogs in, maybe some day. But, i keep my dogs at home. :?

cowgirl8":3vtl2c2t said:
Caustic Burno":3vtl2c2t said:
I dont understand, i keep my dogs in, thus the reason i posted the video review. Those are my dogs in the video and they are kept in electronically. The last picture i posted is my daughters dog. My daughter is a married adult and lives about a mile from me. I wished she kept her dogs in, maybe some day. But, i keep my dogs at home. :?

If I misread the post then I apologize.
I am so sick of people that dump dogs or let them roam over everyones property,and my county is full of lowlifes
that do just that. They should throw them under the jail or throw them out.

Caustic Burno":1c5gkr1a said:
cowgirl8":1c5gkr1a said:
Caustic Burno":1c5gkr1a said:

If I misread the post then I apologize.
I am so sick of people that dump dogs or let them roam over everyones property,and my county is full of lowlifes
that do just that. They should throw them under the jail or throw them out.
I really dont understand how you got me confused with people who dump dogs off this thread.. :???: Really, i'm not the horrible person you seem to think or want to think i am.

Latest posts