how to keep a heifer from getting bred?

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
Wanting to buy a heifer in december and keep her with my herd. She won't be old enough to breed for about 5 months. I don't want her to get bred but keeping her in another feild isn't an option. Is there birth control for cows or anything like that? Lol

Caustic Burno":1m2evuw6 said:
Don't let the bull behind her.

Grass in front of cow, bull behind the rest is simple.
CB, my wife and I have never laughed so hard together.....except for that time we went skinny dipping in the blue hole. Thank God that was after we were already married.

You could conceivably lute her after she has been in there a while. It's probably not a best management practice, but it would work.

Honestly, either separate them or the heifer may be something you should pass on, or buy something that could go in with the bull. Like Bigfoot said you could lute her, but I wouldn't go into something planning on it.

Surely someone has posted a "How to build a heifer chastity belt" over on the "Tips" thread. :idea: :mrgreen:

j&lfarms":6796ppcm said:
Wanting to buy a heifer in december and keep her with my herd. She won't be old enough to breed for about 5 months. I don't want her to get bred but keeping her in another feild isn't an option. Is there birth control for cows or anything like that? Lol
How about keeping the bull in another field/pen. That would work too.

I got rid of the hereford bull. My goal with him was to make a little money off him and the opportunity came up to make a couple hundred dollars so I sold him. I'm buying an angus bull calf in October that will be 7 months old. He will be a few months before before he can breed anything but it will be way before the heifer would be ready.

Also if I don't have an extra feild for the heifer what makes you think I have an extra feild for the bull?

j&lfarms":27zf5lar said:
I got rid of the hereford bull. My goal with him was to make a little money off him and the opportunity came up to make a couple hundred dollars so I sold him. I'm buying an angus bull calf in October that will be 7 months old. He will be a few months before before he can breed anything but it will be way before the heifer would be ready.

Also if I don't have an extra feild for the heifer what makes you think I have an extra feild for the bull?

Don't BS yourself the English breeds will fool you on how early they will breed.
Been a many person surprised by a 15 month old heifer calving.
I wouldn't trust an 8 or 9 month old Angus with anything I didn't want bred.

I bought a bunch of yearling heifers last spring. Sale barn sweet hearts. I was planning to breed in May. A number of then had calves in them. Actually one who was a March '12 calf had a calf on May 4th, the day I was AI'ing the herd.

My bull spends the winter in a 40 by 40 pen eating hay generally with a steer to keep him company.

I know all about the 15 month heifer calving lol. I bought some very young heifers in October of last year. I didn't put a bull with them until late april and by June I had a calf on the ground. I'm trying to decide now if I should sell her and use the money to buy a new cow/heifer or keep her and give her another chance. Her calf is doing great but I don't know how much she will be stunted. I guess time will tell.

I would keep that one that calved, as long as she is doing her job. I have always felt that if one can calve and raise a calf at her age there probably gonna be ok. On this other deal If it was me I would wait until I could buy something big enough to breed or already bred.

Funny how things work. I put a registered, very healthy bull with 16 heifers for 7 months, and there are still 4 or 5 that I'm not sure are pregnant.

On the other hand, If I had not wanted them to get pregnant, I'm sure they would have went through a six-strand barbed wire at 10 months and all gotten bred from one encounter with a one-testicle bull. :? :lol2:

You could feed her MGA. If I recall correctly, 4 ozs, daily. Probably have to mix in some feed if she's on grass only.

Latest posts