How to get rid of armadillos?

Help Support CattleToday:

Had problems with them a few years ago on our football field (before I retired). Talked to a local turf farm, his remedy was to spray with some form of Sevin according to him the armadillos were there because we had grubs in our turf, spray the Sevin, kill the grubs and the armadillos go away. We did and they did. They can really do some damage to a football field! After that episode, we started adding Sevin with our herbicide application in the Spring. Worked for us.

Bamadan":smlu2do8 said:
Had problems with them a few years ago on our football field (before I retired). Talked to a local turf farm, his remedy was to spray with some form of Sevin according to him the armadillos were there because we had grubs in our turf, spray the Sevin, kill the grubs and the armadillos go away. We did and they did. They can really do some damage to a football field! After that episode, we started adding Sevin with our herbicide application in the Spring. Worked for us.
I used to spread "Kill A Bug" granules on my yard and they worked well. Don't think you can even get them now.

Went to town today and loaded up on Sevin, Molemax, moth balls and one of our neighbors said he would build a trap. Took the .22 out of the gun boot on my Polaris for back up. Game on!

Are you kidding me?!? After spending quality time spreading the Sevin, sprinkling a boarder of Molemax around the house & strategically placing moth balls in the holes, it appears as if my arsenal actually attracted the 'dillos. Dangerously close to going full-blown Caddyshack! :mad:

greybeard":1itcmm1b said:
TrueGrit's bullet behind the ear is a failsafe, 100% tried and true method. (I cheat and use a 20ga with # 1s. )
Or, just walk out in the yard with a pair of good gloves on and pick 'em up by the tail. I dispatched a whole family of them like that one night, with an ax. They're interesting but incredibly stupid little bastards.

Used to be great sport as kids catching em by the tail. Paint your initials on em and let em go.
Had my own herd.
If you ever get a chance chunk one in river. They don't swim, walk across the bottom to the other side.

callmefence":3o5q2s6e said:
Used to be great sport as kids catching em by the tail. Paint your initials on em and let em go. Had my own herd.
Ahhh...The good ole days when kids made their own entertainment before video game craze and cell phone obsession.

TCRanch":1r6gh779 said:
Are you kidding me?!? .... it appears as if my arsenal actually attracted the 'dillos.
Dangerously close to going full-blown Caddyshack!
That conjurors up such a hilarious image... :heart: the idea of going 'caddyshack' on 'dillos.

We filled a dog box with dillos and turned them loose at the drive - in. In Florida you can still sell dillos for $7-10 dollars to the orientals for the time being. Turtles got up to $15 dollars for a small one before the state banned the sale of them. And I hear the state is thinking about banning dillo sales.

Son of Butch":iiexf11c said:
TCRanch":iiexf11c said:
Are you kidding me?!? .... it appears as if my arsenal actually attracted the 'dillos.
Dangerously close to going full-blown Caddyshack!
That conjurors up such a hilarious image... :heart: the idea of going 'caddyshack' on 'dillos.
I don't get fired up very often but when I do . . . . :hide:

True Grit Farms":23gonm6h said:
We filled a dog box with dillos and turned them loose at the drive - in. In Florida you can still sell dillos for $7-10 dollars to the orientals for the time being. Turtles got up to $15 dollars for a small one before the state banned the sale of them. And I hear the state is thinking about banning dillo sales.
They eat them???!!! :shock:

TCRanch":aov0699b said:
True Grit Farms":aov0699b said:

Yes Armadillo is actually very good eating. Before we became to highfalutin we ate about anything.

TCRanch":5cuzzocr said:
True Grit Farms":5cuzzocr said:
I think they buy 'em for pets. Back in the days when Hudson, Wi. had a dog track the racing commission also ran an
adoption program for the greyhounds that couldn't make it in racing. The same loving Asian family would come to the
track and adopt one just about every other week. They seemed to favor the bigger, thicker, slower ones.
I imagine by the end of the summer they must have had a whole yard full of 'em.
Don't know where they could've put 'em all. :)

True Grit Farms":qr8ucc4s said:
Ahh drive-ins. What a wonderful old American educational/teaching tool. Nostalgic everytime I drive by the old dilapidated Redland on US 59 outside Lufkin.
Abandoned_Redland_Drive_In_Movie_Theater_in_Redland_Texas.jpg

The dillos around here don't tear up much. They root around some in the yard but haven't done near as much damage as my dog. I like watching them at night weird lil creature. The babies are my favorite to watch.

wacocowboy":18uhjp9r said:
The dillos around here don't tear up much. They root around some in the yard but haven't done near as much damage as my dog. I like watching them at night weird lil creature. The babies are my favorite to watch.

Watching armadillos tear your ground up? Personally I try to kill them all, and their spawn if at all possible.

I have to admit they are kind of fun to watch when they rear up on their hind legs. Still hate them, though! We're tearing up the alfalfa field (re-planting with bermuda) and the disc has gone over it twice. Hopeful but not optimistic that will drive them out - preferably to a neighboring field as opposed to migrating north towards the house. :bang:

True Grit Farms":2ga0ed8o said:
wacocowboy":2ga0ed8o said:

Watching armadillos tear your ground up? Personally I try to kill them all, and their spawn if at all possible.

Like I said they haven't done major damage. My dog has done a lot worse heck I have done worse with the 4wheeler. I think they are neat and fun to watch.

Wait till they find your wife's prize petunia flower bed..you won't think they're so neat and fun when the ruckus dies down..

Latest posts