How to get recognized for registered bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
How would you go about getting off to the right start raising reg. bulls and heifers without buying a 100,000.00 bull or donor cow.

Dont get me wrong, I know that I need to have better quality. But how do you do that (short term) without spending big bucks. JHH

Right now we use A-I and that works but how much does ET work cost? I am ignorant about that kind of stuff.

I guess you have to have a receip and good quality embryos and then you have all that cost to. Thanks JHH

I don't know a real good answer for that question but I have seen two or three guys go together and have a sale every year, this has lead to getting private treaties and developing good reputation's. I think you have to have a good facility to sell in not some old barn, I know it doesn't make the bulls any better but it does make an impression on the buyers.
Maybe offer to buy the calve's back from your bulls. Good Luck

JHH":2nyg0oz8 said:
How would you go about getting off to the right start raising reg. bulls and heifers without buying a 100,000.00 bull or donor cow.

Dont get me wrong, I know that I need to have better quality. But how do you do that (short term) without spending big bucks. JHH

Right now we use A-I and that works but how much does ET work cost? I am ignorant about that kind of stuff.

I guess you have to have a receip and good quality embryos and then you have all that cost to. Thanks JHH

What breed are you trying to raise?

Its as easy as 123
1) put in the time
2) pay your dues
3) raise good cattle.
Too many new breeders think they can buy a good reputation. They end up paying alot of money for cattle and have a decent dispersal sale after about 5 years.

elwapo":b5p1p0xg said:
Its as easy as 123
1) put in the time
2) pay your dues
3) raise good cattle.
Too many new breeders think they can buy a good reputation. They end up paying alot of money for cattle and have a decent dispersal sale after about 5 years.
-

1) Experience
2) Facilities
3) Knowledge
4) Advertising - Advertising - Advertising
5) Determine that your Cattle Quality matches your Advertising.

DOC HARRIS

Just like in the movie "Field of Dreams"

"build it and they will come"

There is a high demand for quality bulls everywhere. But truly $ value doesn't indicate success.
Raise good cattle and have them do what they were intended for, service you customers and it will work out.

One good way to get some exposure without a lot of expense is to offer some cattle in a consignment sale with other breeders.

you buy the best cows you can for what you can spend.by that i mean if you can spend $2000 for a cow do it.but do not spend more than you can afford.an only keep the very top end of the bull calves.dont keep any junk,an consign your best cows an heifers to assoc sales.

Reputation is the answer, a reputation for quality cattle, good management, fair dealings and good customer service. A good reputation can't be bought, it must be earned, and that takes time.

seth":k7snqzwh said:
Reputation is the answer, a reputation for quality cattle, good management, fair dealings and good customer service. A good reputation can't be bought, it must be earned, and that takes time.
DITTO! You first have to "get an eye" for cattle. You have to KNOW what is good & only keep the "good ones" as bulls. A good bull makes a GREAT STEER!.
There is no quick fix. You have to have a great herd health program, neat & tidy place (doesn't have to be fancy!), good working facilities - and only offer the BEST for sale as bulls.
Consignment sales are a good way to start. Gotta get them out there & get word of mouth working for you. REPUTATION!!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":r6x8t7jc said:
seth":r6x8t7jc said:
DITTO! You first have to "get an eye" for cattle. You have to KNOW what is good & only keep the "good ones" as bulls. A good bull makes a GREAT STEER!.
There is no quick fix. You have to have a great herd health program, neat & tidy place (doesn't have to be fancy!), good working facilities - and only offer the BEST for sale as bulls.
Consignment sales are a good way to start. Gotta get them out there & get word of mouth working for you. REPUTATION!!!

Thanks for the information and opinions VERY much appreciated.

I will continue to work towards my goals and I will get there one of these days. JHH

Thanks to everyone for the posts. Sometimes I think I am wasting my time.

I sought out the best known and largest producer in my area. I invited him over, "just to look", sold him the best bull he has ever owned. He was the best advertising I could have ever bought.

CSM

JHH":1sh29pea said:

Consider performance testing some bulls. The only test in MO that I could find online was the Green Springs Test Station. It seems to be a privately owned station. If you want to look into testing, check with your extension agent for other places in the state that test. Many state universities sponsor tests or you might be within driving distance of an out of state test.

http://greenspringsteststation.com/aboutus.aspx

JHH:

You are not wasting your time, if you are really committed to raising good bulls. Follow the advise already given, most important only sell the best ones and do not expect a premium until your reputation is developed. It can be quite rewarding.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Tom

Read what everybody said and there were some good points in there.
My suggestion is honesty and making good. I'm not saying you are dishonest, but unfortunately there are some guys out there who are.
Bought a bred heifer from a registered breeder. Heifer came up open. He gave me a weaned heifer calf that fall.
Another breeder, we bought a bull from him. Bull failed 2 fertlity tests. Instead of giving us our money back he picked another bull just as good and delivered him. Really happy with that bull.

These are the type of breeders that have guys coming back year after year.

One word "Honesty" Stay honest and back your product. We offer a bull gurantee and we stand behind it. We have never had to give back any money or exchange a bull. I keep in constant contact throughtout the first year and make at least a call every quarter to our bull buyers after that. If they have any problems I want to be the first to know. You are in the customer service business and do not forget it. If you select quality to sell, the quality will sell itself. If you select trash, be prepared to throw your farm away.
As forgetting started, buying flushes and embroyos of proven animals will jumpstart your program. Buy quality and you should have no place to go but up.
Never forget honesty!

VanC":1i7szldt said:
Frankie":1i7szldt said:
Many state universities sponsor tests or you might be within driving distance of an out of state test.

http://greenspringsteststation.com/aboutus.aspx

Here's one right on the IL-MO border.

http://www.wiu.edu/bulltest/

Thanks for the link. I used to have that test bookmarked, but when we changed IPs and got a new computer, I lost it.

There are some good recommendations here and I agree with most of them. But what are you going to advertise? That you have a direct daughter of a top bull? So do dozens of other breeders. That you AI? So do dozens of other breeders. But if you put your bull on test alongside other breeder's bulls and he does well, your name will get known. Then you have a chance to show your honesty. You can offer the full sister to a bull that gained XX number of pounds on a recognized bull test. Our test station mails completed test reports out to hundreds of potential customers. The sale catalog goes to hundreds of potential customers. That's more advertising than most of us can afford on our own. Of course, there's the chance your bull won't do well on test. That gets reported, too..... :)

JHH,

You have received some very sound advice. I'll highlight a few keys (some have already been mentioned by others):

1. Deal honestly...follow the Golden Rule

2. Cull aggressively, especially early on. We had problems (bad udders, dispositions, feet and legs, etc.) with many of the first purebred cows we bought, and later I realized that the breeders who sold them at the consignment auction were trying to get premium prices for their junk. Later on I found that these breeders didn't have real good reputations in the breed...sure wish I would have done more homework before I went to this sale. It was a bit painful the first few years culling cows that I had paid good money for just a year or two before, but after a few years, we had a herd with minimal problems.

3. Do your homework when determining who to buy cattle from (see #2 above).

4. Buy good quality from the start. If you pay a little more for better quality and buy fewer animals, you will be much further down the road to success than buying "o.k." animals but buying more of them. Typcially you can buy a whole lot better quality for another $500 to $1000 per head.

For example, when I first got back in the purebred business, many of the females that I bought I would give a grade of "B" (I'll use grades to make my example clearer). I assumed that if I bred them to the top AI bulls in the industry, those with a grade of A, I assumed that I would get a B+ or A- progeny. Many of these offspring would also be "B" and sometimes a "C". I can tell you from experience, it often takes several generations to breed up to an A herd when you start with B cattle.

5. Determine your market. Too often people think that they can be all things to all people in the cattle business. For example, they think they can raise top show cattle and still have a good product for the commercial industry. There are a few producers who are able to pull this off, but most can't. This is probably a subject for another discussion thread, but the fact remains that most show cattle don't work as well in commercial operations as the show folks would like to make us believe.

There is also a segment in most breeds who approach cattle genetics almost like an antique or classic car collector. When you read sale summaries in breed magazines and farm papers, these are typically the big money folks who spend $20,000 to buy a flush, or spend $50,000+ for a herd bull or donor. First of all you need big money to play this game, and many of these folks only stay in "the game" for 5 to 7 years, and get out when they realize that they are just trading dollars, and probably losing money. Many of these cattle, though they may have some good attributes, don't necessarily work in commercial environments.

Latest posts