How to get muscle on your show steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

marisa_showsteer15

Reaction score
I have a Sharlai angus cross steer and I am getting him to eat everything I give him my sister also has one that is the same age they get fed the same and are in the same place but hers has a lot of muscle on him. Jackpot show is in a week and just am trying to see if I can get any muscle improvement. Thx in advance
I realize it is really late to ask this but i have tried a lot

An implant with TBA is the best way, but you need more than a week to see the results.

Usually need to be fat before you implant though or it will suck the condition off them to convert to muscle. Keep feeding him all he'll eat and implant 30 days out from final show.

I have a Sharlai angus cross steer and I am getting him to eat everything I give him my sister also has one that is the same age they get fed the same and are in the same place but hers has a lot of muscle on him. Jackpot show is in a week and just am trying to see if I can get any muscle improvement. Thx in advance
I realize it is really late to ask this but i have tried a lot
Welcome to the Board and congratulations on showing your steer. The best thing to do at this late stage is to make sure you know how to clip and groom him for the show to accentuate his good qualities and play down the bad.

Good luck and tell us how it goes!!!

Our grandkids walk their 4H steers a mile per day minimum. Most days a mile in the morning and a mile in the evening. Now that they are showing bucket calves and a fat steer it helps build muscle on the grandkids also! On days they aren't here helping, I cheat and tie all 6 to a wagon and walk them twice a day!

It really is mostly about genetics, for the most part either they have enough muscle or they don't. Maturity and fat will give you a little more thickness. A really good hair coat and a good clip job can sure help one appear thicker. Exercise can give you a little more definition of muscle, but it won't actually make one much thicker. Implants and certain supplements can also enhance muscle definition, but we would need to know a lot more about your particular situation to recommend which one - like what does your steer weigh, how old is he, and when is his end point (final market show)? What kind of feed you're feeding and how much is he eating daily? How sound is he? If he has any kind of structural/mobility issues, implants or muscle enhancing supplements will likely do more harm than good.

Last edited:

Latest posts