How to catch a crazy horse

Help Support CattleToday:

Since it appears there has not been much interaction between the owners and the horse, I guess the first question would be why are they trying to catch her? Is she in a pasture or pen, and how big is that pasture or pen? If there is a pressing need to remove her from a pasture, then the quickest way would probably be to rope her and catch her that way. Be aware that this will probably result in her "fight or flight" instinct kicking in, and could get ugly. If she knows what a grain bucket is, they might be able to catch her with that. Second question is are they trying to establish a bond with this horse, or just catch her to move her somewhere? If they are trying to establish a bond and trust, don't rope her for reasons stated above. Take a folding chair, find a comfortable rock, or tree stump and sit in the pasture or pen and read a book. Horses are curious creatures and, sooner or later, she will come up to check things out. Leave her alone, let her establish her own comfort zone, read aloud or talk to her so she gets to know their voice, and look for cues that she will give to let them know when she is ready for the next step. Take a little flake of hay along, or a mouthful or two of grain - feeding is a universal way of helping a scared animal get used to someone. Especially when accompanied by calm, even-toned conversation. Eventually - it could be a week, it could be a month, or it could be 6 months - she will figure out that they mean her no harm and will allow them to pet her. Once that step is reached, it is usually no big deal to slip a lead-rope over their neck and halter them - again, accompanied by calm, matter-of-fact, slow talking. Take care to not spook her, or they have undone most of what has been accomplished, and have to start over. There are faster ways, but they usually result in a slower trust/bond between the horse and owner. I hope this helps.

She is in a small pasture, but will not allow them to catch her. If you act like you are she runs off. I told the neighbor to feed her in a stall and close the gate on her everyday and see if this works any better. They claim she is okay to ride after she is caught, but the problem is catching her.

garseer":26pu9rfe said:
She is in a small pasture, but will not allow them to catch her. If you act like you are she runs off. I told the neighbor to feed her in a stall and close the gate on her everyday and see if this works any better. They claim she is okay to ride after she is caught, but the problem is catching her.

Ahhhhhh, that is a whole other set of circumstances, and I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part. Some horses are just that way. We've had several over the years that couldn't be caught by anyone who rode them, because they knew there was a chance that they would have to work. We just had to watch when they came in the corral for water, then sneak around and shut the gate. I can't help you with this scenario - sorry.

In the past I have had horses that were hard to catch. The horse that I have now was hard to catch when I first got him. I ended up using a method that an old cowboy told me about. I keep the horse in a small pasture that is about 2 acres, maybe a little bigger, but one that is small enough that he can't get too far away from me. When I would go out in the pasture with the halter and lead rope he would take off running. I would then make him run. I did this by running at him waving my arms and yelling, but not hitting him. Eventually he would stop, so I would try to get the halter on him. If he still tried to run I would make him run more. After a while he would realize that running is not as much fun as he thought it was. The first few times I did this it might take an hour or longer to catch him, but after a few times he eventually learned that he could not get away. This method may sound a little cruel, but as I stated before I do not hit or beat my horses. Since the horse is already running, I just make him run more. The most important thing is never stop trying to catch the horse once you start. If you ever let the horse win, then he will be harder to catch the next time. An easier way, as stated earlier, is to feed the horse in a small corral. When you want to catch him, feed him in the corral then close the gate behind him.

I will add that I only use this method on older horses that are used to being around people and that are broke to ride. I don't use this method on colts.

This also works, it takes a lot of time though, especially the first time. Walk her down. Just keep walking, and go out there expecting it to take a couple/three hours. Don't worry about making her run from you, she probably will at first though. Then, just follow her around, keep pushing her, doesn't matter how fast, just that she has to keep moving. Once she finally stands and lets you catch her, DON'T do anything major with her. Give her a treat, and maybe just brush her down. Then let her go again. Next time you will have to walk her down again, but likely it will only take 15 minutes or less. Eventually you shouldn't have to walk her down.

Also, teach her that there is food (grain) in the bucket. And don't ride her every time you catch her. Sometimes just groom her or catch her and let her go.

I dont think ropeing them hurts em any. I rope all new colts that come here. Doesnt take them long to become used to a rope. They become very fatalistic really fast as far as me and a rope is concerned.
Same deal running them down on horseback and ropeing them. It dont hurt them and it doesnt take long and they realize there is no point in running away. Chaseing horses on a fast horse is a whole lot of fun!
Most of them fatso horses that dont get ridden much are not much of a match for a grain fed horse thats conditioned. Your mount should be geared right to. Need lots of top end to chase other horses. Example a TB/ appendix type can run down most QHs pretty easily. Depends on the conformation/ condition of the QH to.

I whistle to my horse right before i dump her grain in her bucket. so naturally, after awhile, every time i whistle she comes running to me.

when ours run off we try several methods. 1) like the others said, try to snag her with a grain bucket. 2) walk really slow, and try to calm them down, saying Woa, or Easy. 3) if it gets to be a BIG problem, we run them for a while, and when they are tired, halter them and go!

Horse Guy":38xjrbyg said:
I dont think ropeing them hurts em any. I rope all new colts that come here. Doesnt take them long to become used to a rope. They become very fatalistic really fast as far as me and a rope is concerned.

I disagree. While I do not think it generally causes physical harm, I do believe roping is a shortcut taken by people who are not willing to take the time to establish real bonds of trust, and that it causes psychological harm, as well as sets the stage for a lack of trust, and what the animal is willing to give later down the line. Horses are prey animals, and to rope them in circumstances that do not warrant roping is generally a means of speeding up the breaking/domination process, and tends to set back the process of building trust, as well as hampering their willingness to give you their all. I believe that, by roping a horse, you are overpowering that horse - as opposed to developing trust, establishing a partnership, and the bond that enables their willingness to give 110% to what you're asking - and it will show up later down the line. Just my thoughts on the subject at hand.

Do you rope? Example do you know how to rope?pasture rope? team rope?

msscamp":22r5xb6h said:
Horse Guy":22r5xb6h said:

I disagree. While I do not think it generally causes physical harm, I do believe roping is a shortcut taken by people who are not willing to take the time to establish real bonds of trust, and that it causes psychological harm, as well as sets the stage for a lack of trust, and what the animal is willing to give later down the line. Horses are prey animals, and to rope them in circumstances that do not warrant roping is generally a means of speeding up the breaking/domination process, and tends to set back the process of building trust, as well as hampering their willingness to give you their all. I believe that, by roping a horse, you are overpowering that horse - as opposed to developing trust, establishing a partnership, and the bond that enables their willingness to give 110% to what you're asking - and it will show up later down the line. Just my thoughts on the subject at hand.

Horse Guy":l3r91w8v said:

msscamp":l3r91w8v said:
Horse Guy":l3r91w8v said:

No - I should have stated that in my response, and I apologize for the oversight. Now, having said that, I know people who do rope their horses, have heard their war stories, and I've also had to deal with horses who were roped - it was not a fun experience.

Shut her up in a pen with no water and go up to the gate and call her. When she gets thirsty enough she'll come up to u-let her drink then. Repeat till she comes when called-it works.

msscamp":1vfctyby said:
Horse Guy":1vfctyby said:

msscamp":1vfctyby said:
Horse Guy":1vfctyby said:

No - I should have stated that in my response, and I apologize for the oversight. Now, having said that, I know people who do rope their horses, have heard their war stories, and I've also had to deal with horses who were roped - it was not a fun experience.

Ever think maybe there might be other problems going on with the way that they try to handle their colts that are causeing the troubles?
What do you think of Brannaman? I bring him up because his training program is well known and he ropes all of his colts.

garseer":1s6ooh6r said:
sounds like my horse, they're both too smart for their own good and they are LAZY!!! chey is awesome when he's on form but only if he wants to be. as soon as he realizes that he's gonna have to work he does everything he can to wriggle his way out of it :D

i didn't remember this til after i already posted my last comment, but give this a try. follow her. everywhere. as long as she moves, you move. but when she stops, you stop. this shows your not really chasing her. as soon as she takes a step towards you, take a step back. this lets her know that this can work the other way around and it shows that u dont mean her any harm. before too long she'll follow you anywhere. this might not work with your neighbor's situation, but someone else might find it useful.

I use about the same method as Lone C. When the horse wants to run, make him/her run never giving a break by swinging the lead line. This simulates the same kind of work one might do on a longe line or in a round pen. Push the horse for several minutes to get the fresh off of it, and then give the WHOA!. You will have just reestablished a relationship of respect and leadership by pushing the horse. Most likely the horse will allow you to approach for praise, just as one would do with longe line or round pen work.

Horse Guy":14irmwdd said:
msscamp":14irmwdd said:

msscamp":14irmwdd said:

Ever think maybe there might be other problems going on with the way that they try to handle their colts that are causeing the troubles?
What do you think of Brannaman? I bring him up because his training program is well known and he ropes all of his colts.

Sorry for the delay in responding - I couldn't remember the name of the thread. :oops: To answer your question, yes I have considered the 'other problems' aspect. But it's hard to blame it on 'other problems' when the only time the horse freaks out is at the sound of a rope snicking through a hondo. I know absolutely nothing about Brannaman (in fact, I'd never even heard of him until you mentioned him), so I can't respond to that question.

Latest posts