How to catch a crazy horse

Help Support CattleToday:

Msscamp -- I don't know the one horse's past. But, he might not spook because he was roped badly. I also don't know what your level of exposure is to the many excellent horse hands that we have working with horses on cattle ranches in our state, but I'm guessing it's not very much.

Not every horse that spooks at the sound of a rope through the honda has been abused by a rope, just as, not every horse that spooks at the sound of a rattlesnake has been bit.

msscamp":1jqtmwqx said:
Horse Guy":1jqtmwqx said:
Do you rope? Example do you know how to rope?pasture rope? team rope?

I dont think ropeing them hurts em any. I rope all new colts that come here. Doesnt take them long to become used to a rope. They become very fatalistic really fast as far as me and a rope is concerned.

I disagree. While I do not think it generally causes physical harm, I do believe roping is a shortcut taken by people who are not willing to take the time to establish real bonds of trust, and that it causes psychological harm, as well as sets the stage for a lack of trust, and what the animal is willing to give later down the line. Horses are prey animals, and to rope them in circumstances that do not warrant roping is generally a means of speeding up the breaking/domination process, and tends to set back the process of building trust, as well as hampering their willingness to give you their all. I believe that, by roping a horse, you are overpowering that horse - as opposed to developing trust, establishing a partnership, and the bond that enables their willingness to give 110% to what you're asking - and it will show up later down the line. Just my thoughts on the subject at hand.

No - I should have stated that in my response, and I apologize for the oversight. Now, having said that, I know people who do rope their horses, have heard their war stories, and I've also had to deal with horses who were roped - it was not a fun experience.

Ever think maybe there might be other problems going on with the way that they try to handle their colts that are causeing the troubles?
What do you think of Brannaman? I bring him up because his training program is well known and he ropes all of his colts.

Sorry for the delay in responding - I couldn't remember the name of the thread. :oops: To answer your question, yes I have considered the 'other problems' aspect. But it's hard to blame it on 'other problems' when the only time the horse freaks out is at the sound of a rope snicking through a hondo. I know absolutely nothing about Brannaman (in fact, I'd never even heard of him until you mentioned him), so I can't respond to that question.

Im actually surprised that any one, anywhere has never heard tell of Buck Brannaman, but I find it amazeing that somebody from Wyoming hasnt heard of him. Brannaman lives/ranches in Wyoming.
Okay what about Monty Roberts? He is about bleeding heart/horse whispering as they come when it comes to horses and he ropes horses when they need to be roped.
Msscamp just trust me on this one. Properly done there is nothing wrong with roping a horse. I rope everything around here, the wife, kids, dog- you name it<laughing>

Horse Guy":3eqoaupv said:
msscamp":3eqoaupv said:
Do you rope? Example do you know how to rope?pasture rope? team rope?

I dont think ropeing them hurts em any. I rope all new colts that come here. Doesnt take them long to become used to a rope. They become very fatalistic really fast as far as me and a rope is concerned.

I disagree. While I do not think it generally causes physical harm, I do believe roping is a shortcut taken by people who are not willing to take the time to establish real bonds of trust, and that it causes psychological harm, as well as sets the stage for a lack of trust, and what the animal is willing to give later down the line. Horses are prey animals, and to rope them in circumstances that do not warrant roping is generally a means of speeding up the breaking/domination process, and tends to set back the process of building trust, as well as hampering their willingness to give you their all. I believe that, by roping a horse, you are overpowering that horse - as opposed to developing trust, establishing a partnership, and the bond that enables their willingness to give 110% to what you're asking - and it will show up later down the line. Just my thoughts on the subject at hand.

No - I should have stated that in my response, and I apologize for the oversight. Now, having said that, I know people who do rope their horses, have heard their war stories, and I've also had to deal with horses who were roped - it was not a fun experience.

Ever think maybe there might be other problems going on with the way that they try to handle their colts that are causeing the troubles?
What do you think of Brannaman? I bring him up because his training program is well known and he ropes all of his colts.

Sorry for the delay in responding - I couldn't remember the name of the thread. :oops: To answer your question, yes I have considered the 'other problems' aspect. But it's hard to blame it on 'other problems' when the only time the horse freaks out is at the sound of a rope snicking through a hondo. I know absolutely nothing about Brannaman (in fact, I'd never even heard of him until you mentioned him), so I can't respond to that question.

Im actually surprised that any one, anywhere has never heard tell of Buck Brannaman, but I find it amazeing that somebody from Wyoming hasnt heard of him. Brannaman lives/ranches in Wyoming.

I imagine there are quite a few 'famous' people that live here that I've never heard of. :lol:

Okay what about Monty Roberts? He is about bleeding heart/horse whispering as they come when it comes to horses and he ropes horses when they need to be roped.

Yes, I've heard of Monty Roberts. I've also heard of and watched shows put on by Pat Parelli, Chris Cox, Dennis Reis, and Clinton Anderson - just to name the one's I can remember. I believe you hit the nail on the head with your last statement - "when they need to be roped". I won't deny that some horses cannot be caught any other way, but I also believe that, with a little patience and time, a lot of horses don't need to be roped. I've been around horses my entire life, and we have never had the need to rope a horse. Maybe I'm being naive, unrealistic, or perhaps I just don't understand how it is with raising horses, but I will continue to believe that roping is unneccessary the majority of the time until I find/am given a valid reason as to why it is necessary.

Msscamp just trust me on this one. Properly done there is nothing wrong with roping a horse. I rope everything around here, the wife, kids, dog- you name it<laughing>

You've just hit another nail on the head - "Properly done". I believe you are correct on that point, but I also know there are a lot of people out there who don't how to rope properly, and they cause more problems than they solve.

Hi Horse Guy, I had the opportunity to talk to a friend of mine today. He and his family have bred and raised horses for a number of years. I recounted our conversation regarding roping, and he told me that you are absolutely correct, and that my beliefs are incorrect. This was provided the person doing the roping knows what they are doing, of course, but you already stated that. I concede the error of my statements, I stand corrected, and I thank you for making your original comment, as well as for the discussion that followed! :)

No big deal Msscamp(Smile). A lot of people have a misconception about roping. Especially when it comes to horses. Example you dont rope a hose like you would a cow.
What the other guy said about starting an "anti roping campain". Well he wasnt kidding. I think it was in Kamloops this summer that they dropped calf ropimg and team roping because of urban protests.(silly)
Buck Brannaman has about 5 hours of Ranch Roping Videos if you want to see cattle and horses getting roped in the way im talking about. Its a good video set if anybody wants to learn how to rope horses.

I took off earlier this year for 4 days and went to the Region 10 event. They had Curt Pate there. He was to get a 2YO green stud caught and ridden in 60 minutes.

They brought the stud in and you could tell he had not been handled much and being in a big arena in a round pen didn't set too well with him. He was unable using the normal methods (given the time frame he had) to catch the stud so he roped him. He basically threw the rope in front of the horse and let the horse run into it. Then he slowly snugged it down as the horse continued around the pen until he finally stopped him.

He did ride the horse inside the 60 minutes.

Fortunately, the only time I have ever had to rope one was a runaway.

Naturally you have to lead your throw when your trying to rope a running horse much the same as a duck hunter leads a duck when he shoots at it. But with horses you should be more particular in what type of swing/ throw you use compared to cows. Example if a horse is running from your left to your right you should be swinging your rope in a clockwise direction. This way the rope catches up to the horse and should land on the back of the horses neck first. See if you swung in a counter cloackwise direction and threw, well the rope is going to hit the horse harder. If its a good throw this doesnt matter as much but if you miss a bit your really going to smack him in the face because your rope is being thrown towards the way the horse is running.
If the horse is running from your right to your left then thats when you would swing and throw your loop in a counter cloakwise direction. So you dont take the chance of smacking him. See this way the rope is catching up to the horse. Not being thrown head on towards him. With cows it doesnt really matter. There dumb and tough, [plus it doesnt matter what they think of a rope.

Horse Guy":1rcun9oo said:
No big deal Msscamp(Smile). A lot of people have a misconception about roping. Especially when it comes to horses. Example you dont rope a hose like you would a cow.

Thanks. :)

What the other guy said about starting an "anti roping campain". Well he wasnt kidding. I think it was in Kamloops this summer that they dropped calf ropimg and team roping because of urban protests.(silly)

I didn't think he/she was - I've seen too much anti-roping stuff to believe he/she was kidding.

Buck Brannaman has about 5 hours of Ranch Roping Videos if you want to see cattle and horses getting roped in the way im talking about. Its a good video set if anybody wants to learn how to rope horses.

Thanks, but I think I'll pass - at this stage of my life I don't need to be roping anything! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Horse Guy":3k1zsevy said:
Naturally you have to lead your throw when your trying to rope a running horse much the same as a duck hunter leads a duck when he shoots at it. But with horses you should be more particular in what type of swing/ throw you use compared to cows. Example if a horse is running from your left to your right you should be swinging your rope in a clockwise direction. This way the rope catches up to the horse and should land on the back of the horses neck first. See if you swung in a counter cloackwise direction and threw, well the rope is going to hit the horse harder. If its a good throw this doesnt matter as much but if you miss a bit your really going to smack him in the face because your rope is being thrown towards the way the horse is running.
If the horse is running from your right to your left then thats when you would swing and throw your loop in a counter cloakwise direction. So you dont take the chance of smacking him. See this way the rope is catching up to the horse. Not being thrown head on towards him. With cows it doesnt really matter. There dumb and tough, [plus it doesnt matter what they think of a rope.

I watched Curt closely as he was throwing the rope left handed and I am left handed. Now that I think about it I remember him sort of flipping his wrist over as he threw it. I do remember now seeing the rope hit the back of the horses neck first. I guess the vision I had in my mind of the horse running into the loop was actually seeing the loop go over his head after hitting the neck.

Dang, after all these years I finally know why I couldn't shoot birds on the wing, clay pigeons, and running deer. You mean you have to lead them? :lol:

Latest posts